Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Moving to Singapore need some advice

Moving to Singapore need some advice

Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

MusicallySalty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Singapore need some advice

Hi
I am thinking of moving to Singapore next month, at present i live in London with a £55k basic package

would really appreciate if someone can give me feedback on the following

1) I have been offered SG$ 130k plus bonus - is this salary sufficient to have a good life style
2) the company will provide for tickets and one month accommodation only after that i will have to pay for my own accommodation - is this a fair deal

3) I will be moving with my wife and a 2 year old kid - wife will not be working so need to factor that in my planning also nursery expenses etc

Please let me know if the above salary is enough to have a descent lifestyle in singapore - the company is not willing to provide housing allowance as they dont give to any expat.

also what are the good areas to live in singapore, my office is based in MArina view Singapore 018960

Appreciate all the comments and advice

thanks
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Singapore need some advice

You've got a small uplift to your UK basic for moving to Singapore.
No accommodation allowance.

Is that a good deal.
Only time will tell.

Ball Park:

Take out S$5k per month for accommodation.

You won't be living too close to where you work so travel expenses will be another outgoing.

Nursery expenses are not cheap here.

Really any area is a good area here. One lady poster used to live in Geylang and she loved it.

Don't forget tax which has to be paid on overall salary even that part you spend on accommodation.

Will you have a decent lifestyle?

It will be average for ex pats I'd think but how good will depend on your bonus.

The one month settling in payment of accommodation is standard.

You probably won't be able to afford a car or if you do I'd think it would make living here borderline.

I just noticed this in a thread on the Malaysia forum.
http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com/car...ary-report.php
I'm not sure if the figures refer to what local Singaporeans would be paid but they all look a bit on the low side to me.
See if you can find something similar to what you do and see how it compares salary wise.

Of course locals will be able to live on a lower salary than ex pats.

Last edited by ex reg; Jan 16th 2014 at 1:02 am.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

ex-Reg

Hello to our new poster. Not much to add to ex-Reg's excellent advice. In case you are not familiar with Singapore areas, ex-Reg was being his usual sarky self in mentioning Geylang. It has a reputation for being "red light district" but many folks live there and enjoy it. Just in case you need the explanation.

You haven't mentioned your age though, as you have a 2 year old child, I shall assume that you are a young feller. Singapore is now quite an expensive place these days but, if I were 30 or 40 or younger, I think I would still jump at the chance. Anyway, just my 2 sens worth.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

See bb you've just made me waste 10 min of my precious time searching for who lived in Geylang.

It was Seasider although I did think at first it was englishmum.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:17 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to Singapore need some advice

Originally Posted by ex reg
See bb you've just made me waste 10 min of my precious time searching for who lived in Geylang.

No, it definitely wasn't me! The first time we lived in Singapore we lived at the (original) Duchess Court on Duchess Walk, then Westpoint Condominium, Pepys Rd (just off Pasir Panjang Road). The second time we lived in Singapore was at Montview Condominium, Mount Sinai Drive. My spouse worked at Science Park 1 (near the AYE/National University Hospital) and our kids went to Tanglin Trust School in Portsdown Rd and United World College in Dover Rd, so the Geylang area would never have been a consideration for us.

OTOH we did have an acquaintance, a single female from the UK who lived in Geylang because the rent was cheap. She couldn't wait to get out of her 2-year lease; she said that her recently built apartment kept getting infested with cockroaches and although she felt safe, she did feel uncomfortable with catcalls from the Indian guys.

To the O/P - Geylang has a huge ethnic Indian population, Indian shops, restaurants and businesses and gets invaded on Sundays by South Asians, mainly poor construction workers from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and India who leave their hostels/dormitories and spend the day in Geyland/Little India to remit money home and hang out with their friends.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks ExReg for responding to my query

I negotiated very hard for accomodation allowance but i was told that now days this is only possible at MD/ CEO level....

when you say 5k SG$ on accomodation ( will this be central or far away) ,looks like the rentals are higher than London :-)

I am a little confused as i have never been to Singapore before and do not know what to expect in this package...

would you be able to tell me how much shall we budget for Nursery, Grocery, Travel, Utilities etc

is leasing a car possible with the money we are getting?

we will be looking for 3 bed Condo or 2 bed

The bonus payment is v good but that as you know is dependent on hitting targets etc -

Our main motivation is the weather as my son seems to spend too much time inside the house because of cold weather and there is very ltd things to do outside.

would appreciate if you can help me with the above - once again a massive thanks..
I looked at your link you sent me and the salary levels look pretty low - my title is Business Director and I will working for a Internet company....

Is that a good deal.
Only time will tell.

Ball Park:

You won't be living too close to where you work so travel expenses will be another outgoing.

Really any area is a good area here. One lady poster used to live in Geylang and she loved it.

Don't forget tax which has to be paid on overall salary even that part you spend on accommodation.

It will be average for ex pats I'd think but how good will depend on your bonus.

You probably won't be able to afford a car or if you do I'd think it would make living here borderline.

I'm not sure if the figures refer to what local Singaporeans would be paid but they all look a bit on the low side to me.
See if you can find something similar to what you do and see how it compares salary wise.

Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:06 am
Just Joined

thanks for your comment

at present i am 34 :-)

Originally Posted by bakedbean
ex-Reg

Hello to our new poster. Not much to add to ex-Reg's excellent advice. In case you are not familiar with Singapore areas, ex-Reg was being his usual sarky self in mentioning Geylang. It has a reputation for being "red light district" but many folks live there and enjoy it. Just in case you need the explanation.

You haven't mentioned your age though, as you have a 2 year old child, I shall assume that you are a young feller. Singapore is now quite an expensive place these days but, if I were 30 or 40 or younger, I think I would still jump at the chance. Anyway, just my 2 sens worth.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Hey thanks for taking out time to reply

replied to this earlier - not sure why its not showing in the thread

I had negotiated hard for Accommodation allowance but i was told thats only possible for MD level these days

Also i have heard there are options to lease a car? is it quite expensive?

would also appreciate if you can give some indication on how much we should budget for
Grocery
Travel
Nursery
Utilities
any other bills to factor in

What areas do you think we should look with SG$ 4k as budget for accommodation?

thanks for all you help

Is that a good deal.
Only time will tell.

Ball Park:

Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:53 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't have to do that. I could've told you it was Seasider . She was there when I was down the road near Joo Chiat, another salubrious area. And yet we never met.....britishexpats is a bit like that sometimes.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

We lived in Singapore for a year in 2012/13. I would comment as follows:-

1. Yes, you've only got a small salary increase, but the taxes in Singapore are low (around 15% to 18%). Are they going to help with the relocation costs (flights, shipping etc.)?

2. Buses/MRT (underground trains)/taxis are very cheap. (Oh how my husband misses his 15 minute bus ride to work for 70. It's now 2 hours and £70).

3. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can have an outdoor lifestyle. Sure you can more than the UK, but it is so hot and humid in Singapore that you don't tend to spend too much time outside. There'll be pool time, which your child will no doubt appreciate, but it's not a pleasant or comfortable heat imho. You certainly can't go on a pleasant stroll around the countryside.

4. We rented a 3 bed condo in the River Valley area for 6000 SGD and that was 2 years ago. We got it for a good price (it was on for 8000).

5. Groceries can be very cheap if you eat local. If you want Western food/ingredients it'll cost you.

It's do-able I'd say but I have no idea how much nursery fees are (my kids are older). If depends why you're going? To save money?! For an adventure? To further your career?

Finally, I would say it's far easier to do sth like this when your kids are pre-school. I wish we'd done it then.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:40 am
Just Joined

GraceOd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MusicallySalty

I had negotiated hard for Accommodation allowance but i was told thats only possible for MD level these days

would also appreciate if you can give some indication on how much we should budget for
Grocery
Travel
Nursery
Utilities

thanks for all you help
Hi MusicallySalty,

We came from the UK through my husbands UK company. We did get a different package to you, ours include -
Rent which is $4000 per month, we love our place and wouldnt change it.
utilities (they budget us for $300 per month which we always come in waaay under).
Car which the company pays around $1,800 a month for and thats about the cheapest!
Our own bills are tv, and half of our mobile phones which comes to around $200.

You will have to do your own income tax each year, you can either pay in in a lump sum around may/june time or pay it monthly in which case you need to keep in mind that if you decide to leave singapore you will still have to pay the previous years tax.
Also you will have rental tax on your property...yearly!! Look into this!!

As mentioned previously taxis are very cheap.
Check propertyguru for property listings (they go by district numbers so find which district youl be working in and work from there). A BIG must should be to be close to an MRT station. We live right across the road from one and its a blessing even though we have the car as my husband takes it to work and I'm sure your wife and child would appreciate it to get around.

Groceries - eating out is infact cheaper...healthier...?? i personally think not and we do tend to buy in most food which is just a personal preference. Fairprice is relatively cheap and you will get everything from fruit veg to meat and household supplies there.

Things to approach your company with....
Insurance - your family will need medical insurance..this might be covered by your company...worth checking it out if not. Also flight allowance is usually included in expat packages....

I hope this helps and welcome to Singapore. Get in touch if I can help in any way.

Last edited by GraceOd; Feb 12th 2014 at 10:55 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Valesarl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MusicallySalty

Grocery
Travel
Nursery
Utilities

thanks for all you help
Hi, 4k for housing lease, what are the aspect you're looing at eg, furnishing rooms, location.
Old May 27th 2014, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Dunroaming is an unknown quantity at this point

What is yearly rental tax??
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

aaynoor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you great post.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Olivia Ogilvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Alternatively you can use the World Cost of Living and Salary calculator spreadsheet as i attached here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.