Moving to Singapore!!!!

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:39 am
Just Joined

gareth_ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Singapore!!!!

Hi i'm new to this,

I'm really interested in moving to Singapore, been visiting the wonderful city for the last 3 years and now I want to take the plunge. I wondered if anyone knows the best places to look for expat jobs etc

I very flexible but have in working as a Researcher for a Member of Parliament for the last year, also have a degree in Politics/International Relations.

Preferbly would be looking for work in embassies or non profit charities!

Any help/ideas?

Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Singapore!!!!

Singapore is affected by the recession, like a lot of other countries. Lots of expats have left, lost their jobs. Not an easy market - but better let someone in Singapore tell you this. You might want to post this in the Singapore section - sub-forum of Far East?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore seems to have got through the worst of the recession.
Many people (incl. myself) did lose their jobs. Banking sector was the worst hit. we had quite a lot of Japanese leave our Condo at the time.

Property prices have already recovered a lot of what they lost

wouldnt have a clue where the OP could find a job though and I guess the kind of work he is lookig for would be low paid.

the main websites for jobs here are st702.com and jobsdb.com.sg
could also try Monstorjobs singapore site
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:30 pm
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gareth_ed
Hi i'm new to this,

I'm really interested in moving to Singapore, been visiting the wonderful city for the last 3 years and now I want to take the plunge. I wondered if anyone knows the best places to look for expat jobs etc

Thanks
Poor soul, another one that's been blinded by the bright lights, big city..

I personally can no longer see the attraction of living in Singapore.

Every year we vist Singapore we come across a new super mall on Orchard road.

Indeed you can now almost walk down Orchard road from the corner of Scotts road in a/c bliss without seeing day light or breathing in the (smog) air outside.

My wife loves the super malls but I feel lost, sick almost in those huge super malls and I seem to have developed a phobia against them.

Sadly thats what Singapore culture has come to.

Chanel, LV, DG, Prada are the new temples and the failthfull queue up outside the door, day and night.....

Sorry for the rant, but I once knew a very different Singapore.

Back to topic, you will need to make mega, mega, MEGA bucks if you want to have a comfortable life in Singapore nowadays. It has become so expensive in the last couple of years.

And forget about saving money, housing, cost of living, etc, etc is on a par with London, if not more!

If you work in IT, forget it, unless you are a highly paid SAP consultant. Investment bankers will do fine, as always.....
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:31 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'd put money on him having been blinded by a short skirt, Bikbergen

Yep, more malls to negotiate on Orchard Road! One opposite The Centrepoint (which used to be Centrepoint until it had a facelift ) and another above Orchard MRT. Sure the Integrated Resorts will have a few shops in them, too - never a missed opportunity.

But you can still find small pockets of old Singapore if you get out of District 9. Just wish they hadn't decided to knock down Seletar.

(Oh and as for the bankers - a mate of mine has been out of work there for a year now.)
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'd put money on him having been blinded by a short skirt, Bikbergen

Yep, more malls to negotiate on Orchard Road! One opposite The Centrepoint (which used to be Centrepoint until it had a facelift ) and another above Orchard MRT. Sure the Integrated Resorts will have a few shops in them, too - never a missed opportunity.

But you can still find small pockets of old Singapore if you get out of District 9. Just wish they hadn't decided to knock down Seletar.

(Oh and as for the bankers - a mate of mine has been out of work there for a year now.)
I'm not allowed to notice any of those!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

Read Paul Theroux's 'Ghost Train To The Eastern Star' before you decide that Singapore is the place for you. Even my Malaysian colleague who lives there seems to have an unhappy life (while working for a European company).
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

caroltanbh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewrh
Read Paul Theroux's 'Ghost Train To The Eastern Star' before you decide that Singapore is the place for you. Even my Malaysian colleague who lives there seems to have an unhappy life (while working for a European company).
Hi,
I am a Singaporean living in Singapore for the past 30+ years. I think Singapore is not as bad as what you guys have described it to be. Frankly, I think a lot of countries had been hit badly by the recession, & Singapore is not the worst.
I am a prepoerty agent, & I still have a number of clients looking for big houses here, quite a number of my clients are foreigners, working or living here.
I realise that they find Singapore a nice place to live in, & mostly decided to stay here permanently.
Well, I am no experts in looking for jobs, but if you do need help in looking for a place to stay in Singapore, I probably will be able to give you some good advise.