Moving to Singapore 2

Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:09 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Singapore 2

Originally Posted by SGPDiver
Hi to all and the courtesy of a quick update
I personally love the shophouse ideal (reminds me of New Orleans) but don't think "with pool" exists
Oh it does but you'd probably pay about 30k a month for for it! Not many of them but some people far richer than me have bought and virtually re-built shophouses and stuck small pools in, even on the roof!

Hello, SGPDiver, I'm ex-Singapore and I've been following your thread but these two wonderfully helpful people have far more up-to-date info than me so I've been letting them get on with it. We lived in a shophouse in Geylang, it was fab. Falling down around our ears and the roof leaked like a sieve but we loved it, we loved living in the thick of things, and I miss that house terribly. But they're not for everyone.

I know a couple of RE agents; let me know if you'd like their details.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Moving to Singapore 2

Hi to all and the courtesy of a quick update

Very impressed with the condo facilities and narrowing it down to Astor Green, Carabelle, Pandan, Signature Park and Springdale I think! Now trying for agent contact. If anyone holds any major positives or negatives on the above selection, be delighted for your insight?

I personally love the shophouse ideal (reminds me of New Orleans) but don't think "with pool" exists and the condo facilities have sold themselves to both of us.

Given up on cars, MRT, buses and taxis it will be. However whilst selling my Jeep back here, managed to find an exporter who spends his life selling new Mercedes E classes to your garages over there - small world, but decidely envious over my move The only downside in his view being the completely unchanging weather 32 deg all year consistently.

Enough for now and onward with the browsing......
Personally I would be hesistant about Signature Park and Springdale; there is no MRT within walking distance and traffic is horrendous along Bukit Timah/Upper Bukit Timah in rush hours (it's on one of the main routes to/from the causeway to Malaysia. Thousands of Malay bike riders are on the road, many with bikes with not much power than a moped, slowing all the traffic, along with slow buses too! I haven't been on the light rail but it only seems to have 2 carriages...not sure where the stations are.

There is a Circle line train depot going in on Woodlands Road (continuation of Upper Bukit Timah Road, it goes to the causeway for Johor Bahru) but that is only just at the beginning of the construction stage and will take years!

Buses are very slow and crowded at Bukit Timah (it's a long route to town) and I know from the experience of another expat that it is a nightmare trying to flag down taxis as there are so many (high rise) condos along Bukit Timah that invariably someone else will nab the taxi before you can! Many Singaporeans have to work on Sat mornings so the rush hour extends to the w/e too!

If you are around for a few days it might be worthwhile trying to do the commute from those condos (Sig Park & Springdale) in the morning and evening and see if you find it frustrating or not!

I don't know much about Carabelle other than it is a huge development in the area where most of the expats are Japanese (the Japanese schools are in the vicinity). It might be do-able.....however it does seem some way to the MRT station (nearly 2kms).

I can see Astor Green from my apartment as I'm on the top floor (I post my mail in the postbox outside it lol!) and parts of Pandan, so of course I know this vicinity well! I take my drycleaning to the mini-mart at Ridgewood condo and use the mini-marts at all the local condos (Pandan, Ridgewood, Pine Grove) if I run out of milk.

(The first time we lived in S'pore it was for 5+ years in various condos, then moved to the States, then moved into Montview in Nov 08. For us it was the location and ease of walking to transportation which was the main criteria as we have had prior experience of being stranded when the spouse (me or him) has the car and have faced a very frustrating time trying to get a taxi or long walk to a bus stop). It's all very well trying to book a taxi but in busy periods they don't have any and one doesn't always have the option to book the night before..it's far worse on wet days. This time we were shown places in River Valley, Dalvey Rd nr. Botanic Gardens, nr. Paterson Road etc.

Although we have always had use of a car in Singapore, we now hardly ever use ours (unless the rain is very heavy) because the public transport is so good and cheap that it is more convenient to travel by bus or just walk across to the Dover MRT station. Also right outside the condos here (Astor Green, Montview, Pandan) you can always flag a taxi down within a minute or two, we always do if we go to the airport, there's never any need to book one in advance.

We do most of our supermarket shopping at Jelita Cold Storage - I'm sure the agent pointed it out to you and many of my neighbours as well as myself just hop on one of the many buses and get off at Emaar Int school (there is a bus stop right outside Pandan Valley condo too).

We also often take a stroll down to Sunset Way as there are now loads of restaurants and bars there, plus a small hawker centre....but the best wet market and hawker centre + post office is at Ghim Moh (I sometimes walk there but you can take the 92 bus) further away is the large Clementi wet market & hawker complex but we don't go there v. much. We also go to Holland Village a lot (loads of buses go there!) to shop and eat...a guy from my home city (Coventry) is actually running a sports pub in HV (called Turnstyles) and has very popular quiz nights. It's next door to Paris Silk, which is absolutely the best place to buy any electrical items, cameras, appliances etc. Best prices around. We have even walked to HV on occasion.

OK - I've rabbited on too much, but it's something to go on. Also strongly suggest you join ANZA...the British Association is quite 'sedate'....

(My spouse's colleague - a Brit - used to keep a yacht in Singapore and used to sail it it up to Phuket. He's now based in Zug, Switzerland but my spouse still keeps in touch with him, so if you have any specific questions, fire away and I'll get my husband to pass them on).
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:00 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I know the Turnstyles guys I know one very well, at least.

I don't mean to be a party pooper but, if you're going to go sailing in that region, you really need to be aware of pirates.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

SGPDiver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
I know the Turnstyles guys I know one very well, at least.

I don't mean to be a party pooper but, if you're going to go sailing in that region, you really need to be aware of pirates.
Well yet again you've all come up trumps with some very essential advice. This all is really helping. Many thanks.

I feel with all received, we will be able to wander around Orchard almost like locals, excluding the R-Kive boxes full of possible condos. There is a plethora available at present, however this can only be for our good. May bounce a couple more over as now checking Districts 5, 10, 15 & 22

After all that a nice "sedate" association sounds wonderful!

RE contacts would much appreciated.

Seasider, rest assured I will not be venturing anywhere risky till I've gained some local knowledge for where is safe, checked Noonsite and the the SGP broadcasts and can identify as far as possible any transit is OK If all else fails leave it tied up at Raffles and complete my thesis on gin distillation!

SQ tickets getting close....
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to Singapore 2

You must be waking up very early lol or are you jetlagged?!

5, 10, 15 & 22

After all that a nice "sedate" association sounds wonderful!

I used to live in district 5 which is basically south of the Ayer Rajah Expressway down to the south west coast road, going west of Alexandra Road (we were just off Pasir Panjang Road, Westpoint Condominium, Pepys Road - which goes up to the treetops walk and Kent Ridge Park).

Our current condo is just inside district 10 (apparently districts 9,10 & 11 are considered 'prestigious' ie. more expensive to rent lol, just like certain London postcodes) and 22 is a few hundred yards away (Clementi). I can't remember where dist 15 is...maybe Thomson/Novena areas?

I'm not renewing my annual membership of the BA....I found them to be 'cliquey' and a bit snobby. The Aussies and Kiwis are much friendlier and more lively. Here are the links:

http://www.anza.org.sg

http://www.britishassociation.org.sg/

How come you are looking at properties without an agent? Are you looking the properties up in the Straits Times? I know that the tenant often pays half of the first month's rent in commission to the agent (the landlord pays the other half) on lower rental prices....it used to be $2.5k but I'm sure it must be more than that now. You should check! We used a guy from Savills (arranged by spouse's employer) who was a nice guy and very patient, if you haven't found anyone you could send me a PM and I'll send you his contact info.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

District 15 is Katong.

some nice new condos. we enjoy living next to parkway parade. 3 large supermarkets within 5 minutes walk plus foodcourts and a wetmarket.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:22 am
Just Joined

technocracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting this thread has popped up now.

I am just waiting for the delivery of my contract to move me and the family over to Singapore around the beginning of March. Well also I've being mulling over an offer in NZ but in the past hour have decided to reject it.

So the first thing will be sorting out a condo . . . well the company are putting us up in a Serviced Apartment for the 1st month so we'll beable to have a good look around (that said I've been Singapore many times). But as I can't accept just turning up without some kind of plan I've been looking around on the rental sites and there seems to be plenty about. Although as I'll be based in the Ang Mo Kio area I am looking at places around this area primarily so I don't end up having a tough commute every day & night. But also being just up from the Central areas.

Ideally I don't want to spend more the $3k maybe or $3.5k at a push on rent as I think there is plenty around for that kind of money.

Anybody have any recommendations on a Pre-school/Nursery for my son? Doesn't have to be an international one.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:38 am
Just Joined

How come you are looking at properties without an agent? Are you looking the properties up in the Straits Times? I know that the tenant often pays half of the first month's rent in commission to the agent (the landlord pays the other half) on lower rental prices....it used to be $2.5k but I'm sure it must be more than that now. You should check! We used a guy from Savills (arranged by spouse's employer) who was a nice guy and very patient, if you haven't found anyone you could send me a PM and I'll send you his contact info.[/QUOTE]

Hi again and I'll start running with agents shortly, but like to brief myself first prior to someone else briefing me, this usually allows me to identify how motivated they are towards me. Along with the info provided by all, we should hopefully find it an enjoyable experience. Ref your contact be most helpful and will send a PM if you confirm, but is this Guy happy working outside corporate relocations, as this is personal with a budget

Many thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Sorry Englishmum, it would help if I qualified that last message. Hoping for around 1,500 < 1,800 sq ft i.e. 3 bed or similar short term so 1 year, after which we should have found an ideal property to buy. I think that is proving realistically achieveble and with monthly rents varying but S$3<4K, however need to find a nice aspect and good facilities. Trust that is a bit more helpful? Please also notice I have addressed my over zealous smiley problem - LOL!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:16 pm

Lightbulb Re: Moving to Singapore 2

Just a thought:

Leedon Heights condo went up for an en-bloc sale but due to the recession the developers aren't going to demolish it and re-build for some time. However, most of the tenants had left before they decided to hold off on demolishing it.

I've just read on another forum that they are offering short-term rentals (at least until the end of the year) so it might be ideal for you. I had a couple of friends who lived in apartments there more than a decade ago (one with a lift with a great view, another friend in a walk-up....it's a very spacious, sprawling condo and most units have a lot of space inside as they're older...which is why they want to replace it and squeeze many more smaller units onto it eventually)>

Leedon Heights is an a great location (esp if you can get a unit away from the main roads) as it is on the corner of Holland Rd and Farrer Rd with plenty of bus routes....very close (walkable) to Holland Village and the Botanic Gardens and Dempsey Rd in the opposite direction.

Best to call in and speak to the security guards and go directly to the management office to ask to see various rental units...if you can negotiate without an agent, even better but get a lawyer to go over a tenancy agreement first!

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...c,58526.0.html

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:42 am
Auntie Fa

I think Bayshore Park is in a similar situation. Huge old complex, great facilities and reasonable rents. Busplus from your door or regular bus from the ECP.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:44 am
Auntie Fa

Sorry Diver, I've just assumed you have been using this site:

www.singaporeexpats.com I don't like the forum but it has a huge amount of property information on it, including photos.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Sorry Diver, I've just assumed you have been using this site:

www.singaporeexpats.com I don't like the forum but it has a huge amount of property information on it, including photos.
I seldom look at that forum either.
Lot of squabbles and lies floating around and for some reason the expats are bitter.
Not all but many.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

stiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thread, a lot of helpful info. I have two questions though:

1. As it was mentioned by "Englishmum" to never pay the prices asked for renting an apartment, is there any advice of how much we can get the price lower? Let's say if the official asking price is 6k, can we get it down to 5k or even lower?
2. Does someone know if EP is required for long term (1-2 years) rentals?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm
Auntie Fa

You can but try, stiwi. When we first got there (2002) the unofficial rule was, "settle for about 2/3 of the asking". This did change to, "you'll be lucky to get it for the asking, you might have to bid", but I don't know how things are right now. Certainly at the higher end of the market (I'm talking double-figure rents), I know quite a few retrenched/returned expats, so it could be back to a renter's market. Don't be afraid to negotiate a few extras - new curtains, ceiling fans, whatever.

I would think at least an EP is required; always was in my time.

Total tangent - might be giving up my PR soon. Hate to do it but our Oz PR is ready to be granted and we could do with our CPF to put towards a deposit on property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.