KL or Singapore ?

Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of
Default KL or Singapore ?

I have visited KL and Singapore on business many times but for no longer than a week at a time. I now have the possibility of living and working in either location as the company I am talking with offices in both locations.

If you have experienced locations which would be your preference in regards to cost of living, quality of living and general life style?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: KL or Singapore ?

Originally Posted by skybluestu
I have visited KL and Singapore on business many times but for no longer than a week at a time. I now have the possibility of living and working in either location as the company I am talking with offices in both locations.

If you have experienced locations which would be your preference in regards to cost of living, quality of living and general life style?

Thanks in advance
If you look through the Singapore forum you will see that I've posted lots of info about Singapore when replying to various questions.

Generally cost of living is cheaper in Malaysia than Singapore, but many expats feel 'safer' living in Singapore (v. little crime) and it is well-known as 'Asia for beginners'!.

I reckon there probably isn't that much difference between both places, although you would notice that Singapore is extremely clean, efficient (everything works!), transport and communications are great, the international airport is a breeze to get to - unlike KL's - is business-friendly, encourages 'foreign talent', has more laws (and you wouldn't dream of paying a bribe to cops in Singapore unlike the expectation in Malaysia when one is stopped for speeding for example).

Will you be working mainly with Chinese or Indian Malaysians or the Malays themselves? This may have a bearing on how much you will enjoy working/negotiations there; here is some info on the bumis (bumiputra):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumiputera_(Malaysia)

You are lucky to have a choice of which country to live and work in! Good Luck!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KL or Singapore ?

Having worked in both places I find that a very difficult question to answer.

KL would be cheaper to live in but probably not by much.

You can do everything in KL that you can in Singapore.

I like the people in both places and find them just as easy to get on with.

Not sure about traffic in rush hour in KL now but Singapore ain't good although the MRT is better in Singapore, I reckon.

Yes security is better in Singapore but my wife has no problems going to JB regularly with friends.
The possibility of being stopped when driving a Singapore car on the North South Highway is a pain but I've never been asked for coffee money by a Malaysian policeman.

It might come down to the job and if it's the same in KL and Singapore then the people in the office.

Or if that doesn't split it then a visit to both places and a look around for a week or so and an investigation into accommodation preferably with the wife in tow and advising.

Some others may have a preference due to their experience but not me or the missus.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:48 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: KL or Singapore ?

Just another thought....

Your 'handle' for this board is SkyBlueStu.... are you a 'Sky Blues' fan ie. Coventry City FC? (I grew up in the Coventry)

There is a sports pub called the Turnstyles in Holland Village, Singapore which is run by a guy from Coventry (an ardent Sky Blues fan)