Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

cost of Singapore compared to London

cost of Singapore compared to London

Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:19 am
Just Joined

gkeeves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of Singapore compared to London

Hi, i was wondering what is the cost difference between living in Singapore compared to London? Would you expect a salary equivalent to £30,000 (66 000 Singapore Dollars) to be comfortably living on (single, no dependants)

many thanks
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of Singapore compared to London

Depends on the overall package.

What is your accommodation allowance, medical, flight allowance,
utilities allowance, etc.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:55 am
Just Joined

gkeeves is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I am aware no allowance for those (although will obviously investigate further). Are these allowances typical for jobs in Singapore? thanks
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: cost of Singapore compared to London

Singapore is more expensive than London in many respects and don't even think of buying a car there (most expensive place in the world).

The most recent Mercer COLA index lists Singapore at no. 10 and London at no. 16 in (with the US$ and New York set as the base rate).

http://www.mercer.com/costoflivingpr

Western food is very expensive, would you enjoy eating rice and noodles every day? Hawker food is very cheap but you have to watch for MSG which is very unhealthy (can cause hair loss, jitters, rise in blood pressure etc.) and as a 'flavour enhancer' is liberally added to food in SE Asia, especially hawker food. Alcohol is extremely expensive (approx 7 quid a pint in many of the pubs) due to high tax on it.

You would be able to get by on the salary you quoted if you're happy to live in a house or flat-share, use buses, MRT or taxis, become a near teetotaller!

TBH Singapore is more suited to families than single people as Hong Kong is far more exciting...but if you just want to try it for a year or two then it's worth coming over.

Definitely get your employer to provide health insurance. Ask for an allowance to ship some personal items over or if they will pay for excess baggage on your flight.

I guess you are not very senior so it might be difficult to ask for annual home leave flights, club membership, car etc. Is it a local employer or an MNC? I would also ask for flights home if your job/work permit is terminated or/and at the end of the contract. Get any agreements in writing....too many people have been screwed over by relying on verbal agreements!

Some great points raised in this thread here:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...c,57966.0.html

Some comments here on food shopping:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...c,59257.0.html

(PS: I refuse to buy the Activia yoghurts....approx S$15 -S$17 for four small pots! Dairy products are very expensive...organic milk exceedingly so)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Englishmum; Feb 7th 2010 at 3:47 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:22 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

singapore is not more expensive than london, it is a whole lot cheaper

by "western food", i guess you mean american/british cuisine. they are not expensive, it is dirt cheap. it can be found in everywhere, basically you will always be just 5-10 mins from any western food store. a "western meal" costs only 5-7 sgd which is what, 2-4 stirling. fast food like macdonalds, starbucks are available on every street. most native singaporeans eat "western food" as their staple diet daily be it macdonalds, long johns, burger king, fish steaks, beef steaks or chicken steaks.

rice and noodles every meal? that is the funniest thing i have heard.

more exotic "western" cusines will be expensive - for eg french/italian/etc, those are mainly in higher priced restaurants and less common.

40% of singapore's population are foreigners and singapore has all kinds of food everywhere.

yes cars are as expensive as houses in singapore (due to small land area and need to limit number of cars on the road) but singapore is so small and the transport system is so efficient, you can get by easily with public transport.

with 66k sgd anually, you can and will live a very good life. that is above average wage for singaporeans.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Singapore is more expensive than London in many respects and don't even think of buying a car there (most expensive place in the world).

The most recent Mercer COLA index lists Singapore at no. 10 and London at no. 16 in (with the US$ and New York set as the base rate).

http://www.mercer.com/costoflivingpr

Western food is very expensive, would you enjoy eating rice and noodles every day? Hawker food is very cheap but you have to watch for MSG which is very unhealthy (can cause hair loss, jitters, rise in blood pressure etc.) and as a 'flavour enhancer' is liberally added to food in SE Asia, especially hawker food. Alcohol is extremely expensive (approx 7 quid a pint in many of the pubs) due to high tax on it.

You would be able to get by on the salary you quoted if you're happy to live in a house or flat-share, use buses, MRT or taxis, become a near teetotaller!

TBH Singapore is more suited to families than single people as Hong Kong is far more exciting...but if you just want to try it for a year or two then it's worth coming over.

Definitely get your employer to provide health insurance. Ask for an allowance to ship some personal items over or if they will pay for excess baggage on your flight.

I guess you are not very senior so it might be difficult to ask for annual home leave flights, club membership, car etc. Is it a local employer or an MNC? I would also ask for flights home if your job/work permit is terminated or/and at the end of the contract. Get any agreements in writing....too many people have been screwed over by relying on verbal agreements!

Some great points raised in this thread here:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...c,57966.0.html

Some comments here on food shopping:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...c,59257.0.html

(PS: I refuse to buy the Activia yoghurts....approx S$15 -S$17 for four small pots! Dairy products are very expensive...organic milk exceedingly so)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by wowoweee; Apr 28th 2010 at 8:46 am.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

if you are looking to share an apartment then its enough
if you want a nice place of your own then you won't have much spare cash
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:58 pm
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
if you are looking to share an apartment then its enough
if you want a nice place of your own then you won't have much spare cash
true. if you want to live like an emporer 5k/mth will not be enough.

what? huh? isn't that obvious?

what?
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:28 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wowoweee
singapore is not more expensive than london, it is a whole lot cheaper

by "western food", i guess you mean american/british cuisine. they are not expensive, it is dirt cheap. it can be found in everywhere, basically you will always be just 5-10 mins from any western food store. a "western meal" costs only 5-7 sgd which is what, 2-4 stirling. fast food like macdonalds, starbucks are available on every street. most native singaporeans eat "western food" as their staple diet daily be it macdonalds, long johns, burger king, fish steaks, beef steaks or chicken steaks.

rice and noodles every meal? that is the funniest thing i have heard.

more exotic "western" cusines will be expensive - for eg french/italian/etc, those are mainly in higher priced restaurants and less common.

40% of singapore's population are foreigners and singapore has all kinds of food everywhere.

yes cars are as expensive as houses in singapore (due to small land area and need to limit number of cars on the road) but singapore is so small and the transport system is so efficient, you can get by easily with public transport.

with 66k sgd anually, you can and will live a very good life. that is above average wage for singaporeans.
Having lived in both places I completely disagree with you. Singapore is much more expensive than London for grocery shopping, housing, car purchase certainly.

If you want to eat cheap food then of course you can - you get what you pay for.

Buying quality food not drenched in pesticides is difficult - organic food is extremely expensive. The quality of food in the supermarkets is often dire too. I remember tomatoes never ripened no matter how long I kept them outside the fridge.

Flying to London from Singapore is also much more expensive than flying from London to Singapore.
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
Having lived in both places I completely disagree with you. Singapore is much more expensive than London for grocery shopping, housing, car purchase certainly.

If you want to eat cheap food then of course you can - you get what you pay for.

Buying quality food not drenched in pesticides is difficult - organic food is extremely expensive. The quality of food in the supermarkets is often dire too. I remember tomatoes never ripened no matter how long I kept them outside the fridge.

Flying to London from Singapore is also much more expensive than flying from London to Singapore.
but then again public transport in Singapore is efficient and cheap
don't forget you'll also only pay around 10pct income tax

and food is only expensive if you do all your shopping in cold storage as many expats do. go to Giant or Fairprice and the prices are a lot less. Buy vegies from your local wet-market
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wowoweee
true. if you want to live like an emporer 5k/mth will not be enough.

what? huh? isn't that obvious?

what?
I would hardly call having your own apartment in a condo "living like an emperor"
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Nit picking slightly but at the moment London/Sing/London is more expensive.
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

It certainly IS NOT! $2000.00 Sing/Lon/Sing compared with 670.00 sterling Lon/Sing/Lon

Are you looking at a carrier like Emirates where you have to stop over for at least 8 hours? Not my idea of fun stopping in Dubai.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

It certainly IS NOT! $2000.00 Sing/Lon/Sing compared with 670.00 sterling Lon/Sing/Lon

Are you looking at a carrier like Emirates where you have to stop over for at least 8 hours? Not my idea of fun stopping in Dubai.
whatever!
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ex reg
whatever!
Well that's a good discussion (not)
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well that's a good discussion (not)
Don't shout.
You may get an answer then.

If not continue to pay S$2000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.