Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Help Needed on Various Issues About Moving To Beautiful Singapore!!

Help Needed on Various Issues About Moving To Beautiful Singapore!!

Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

LouiseJordan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Needed on Various Issues About Moving To Beautiful Singapore!!

Hi There

I've come to a dead end and hoping someone can offer some advice! My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Singapore from London at the end of September and I would be sooo grateful if someone could give me advice on the following issues;

1) I do not have a job out there yet and I am very confused by the ministry of manpower website as to what visa I actually need? Both me and my boyfriend are British citizens.

2) How 'easy' is it to find a job in finance in Singapore - I have 4 years of experience working in asset management? Is it easier to get one once you are actually there?

3) Where is the best place to look for accommodation? I've found loads of sites but don't know how trustworthy they are? Are HDB apartments ok to rent? Also what does 2+1 or 4+1 mean with regards to an apartment?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks so much for your help. We both love Singapore and are so excited about moving there!!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:51 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed on Various Issues About Moving To Beautiful Singapore!!

Hi Louise, welcome to the Far East Have you had a look through other posts on Singapore, as most of these questions have probably been covered already. I'm no longer living there but will try to help, and I'm sure a few others will be able to as well.

Originally Posted by LouiseJordan
Hi There

I've come to a dead end and hoping someone can offer some advice! My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Singapore from London at the end of September and I would be sooo grateful if someone could give me advice on the following issues;

1) I do not have a job out there yet and I am very confused by the ministry of manpower website as to what visa I actually need? Both me and my boyfriend are British citizens.

If you don't have a job and work permit in your own right, I think you will have to prove a De Facto relationship. I know we've talked about that recently on here so do have a search; I've never been in that position so don't want to give you incorrect info. I will say, it's not easy as I know a lot of women who did monthly visa runs, which are a bit risky.

2) How 'easy' is it to find a job in finance in Singapore - I have 4 years of experience working in asset management? Is it easier to get one once you are actually there?

That would be your best option, TBH. Get an EP (Employment Pass) in your own right. Maybe easier once you are there but you need to convince employers you are worth the hassle.

3) Where is the best place to look for accommodation? I've found loads of sites but don't know how trustworthy they are? Are HDB apartments ok to rent? Also what does 2+1 or 4+1 mean with regards to an apartment?

Take a look at this site www.singaporeexpats.com IMO the best property site for information. I have used their agents in the past too. Trustworthy? We're talking about Real Estate Agents. I do know a British agent who is very good but she mainly deals with large/corporate budgets.

HDB apartments have become very popular since private rents rocketed. I hear that private rents have stabilised/gone down but HDB rents have not; they're really not that good a deal any more. Are they ok to rent? Hmmmm. Have you ever lived in Asia? I think you would get a bit of a culture shock and need earplugs.

The site I mentioned has all the terminology explained.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks so much for your help. We both love Singapore and are so excited about moving there!!!
It's a very easy place to live, good mix of east and west, although increasingly expensive.

You might also find these forums useful:

www.expatsingapore.com
www.singaporum.com
as well as the one on www.singaporeexpats.com as listed above. This one is actually frequented by a lot of young expats and locals and very sociable.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

LouiseJordan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for all your advice.
I'll have a look through it all today! Always handy speaking to someone that has actually lived there!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:44 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

The +1s ie 3+1 usually means 3 bedrooms and 1 pokey little room that might be used for a maid's room. See Seasider's links for more detail!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:41 am
Just Joined

GregLawmen is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

I'll have a look through it all today! Always handy speaking to someone that has actually lived there!!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseJordan
Originally Posted by GregLawmen
hi,

Is there an echo in here?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

Hello all,

I have found myself wondering what the appeal of Singapore is for all of you? Just interested
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pasturesnew
Hello all,

I have found myself wondering what the appeal of Singapore is for all of you? Just interested
Just moved here with my wife. we came from Dubai. We like the weather, the facilities in apartment buildings, the food, the efficient public transport system, low taxes (although higher than Dubai) etc.

we don't like the general higher prices and costs of cars!
oh and the price of booze!