Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Could really do with some help!!

Could really do with some help!!

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could really do with some help!!

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Thanks alot!
Also...I discovered that i cant get a boat licence (PPCDL) as im slightly colour blind, although not too bad (i have managed to get 5 driving licences from 5 countries no problem) I dont suppose you know if there is anyway around this???? a major pain in the arse!!
you could always try nipping over to Johor Bharu in Malaysia to do your boating. Don't know what the regulations are over there
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:01 am
Just Joined

bryannn is an unknown quantity at this point

JD, that's pretty decent pay. That is, unless you're married with a few kids in tow, in which case, it's not exactly easy street.

You can get a decent place in a decent district for about 5K. Of course, if you're so inclined, you can go up to 10K or more. But 5K will have you nice and comfy.

BTW, 3-4K for a 3-bed, those days are behind us, I'm afraid.

I doubt that you'd need a month to find a home. There's lots about nowadays. We tend to find one within a week. Mind you, we do set ourselves quite good viewing tempo. A week is enough though.

Bayshore is quite new, but smallish. Bayshore Park dates back to the 80's but it very spacious. They do their best to upgrade and keep it fresh at BP. Maintenance is great here. (I live in BP).

We do have dedicated shuttles, yes, both to Bedok MRT and also direct to the City (Suntec).

Boat licence, my mate's 15 years old son just got his, so I doubt that a bit of color-blindness is going to stop them from letting you have a go.

I don't know if it's a good idea to bring your boat here though; there isn't much to go for, other than the surrounding countries. Not sure if you're into motoring or sailing, but if the latter, don't bother. I'm a windsurfer, if it blows one day per month, you're having a good year. Even the NE monsoon has been a major letdown the previous years.

If you really need a sailing fix, head up to the Malaysian East Coast. It's what we do. It can get breezy there, even during the SW monsoon. Besides, Malaysia is a great to get away from the ever-buzzing beehive that is Singapore. I mean, Singapore is a great place, but it can get a wee bit busy eh.

Anyway, I hope above helps a bit. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:37 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bryannn
JD, that's pretty decent pay. That is, unless you're married with a few kids in tow, in which case, it's not exactly easy street.

You can get a decent place in a decent district for about 5K. Of course, if you're so inclined, you can go up to 10K or more. But 5K will have you nice and comfy.

BTW, 3-4K for a 3-bed, those days are behind us, I'm afraid.

I doubt that you'd need a month to find a home. There's lots about nowadays. We tend to find one within a week. Mind you, we do set ourselves quite good viewing tempo. A week is enough though.

Bayshore is quite new, but smallish. Bayshore Park dates back to the 80's but it very spacious. They do their best to upgrade and keep it fresh at BP. Maintenance is great here. (I live in BP).

We do have dedicated shuttles, yes, both to Bedok MRT and also direct to the City (Suntec).

Boat licence, my mate's 15 years old son just got his, so I doubt that a bit of color-blindness is going to stop them from letting you have a go.

I don't know if it's a good idea to bring your boat here though; there isn't much to go for, other than the surrounding countries. Not sure if you're into motoring or sailing, but if the latter, don't bother. I'm a windsurfer, if it blows one day per month, you're having a good year. Even the NE monsoon has been a major letdown the previous years.

If you really need a sailing fix, head up to the Malaysian East Coast. It's what we do. It can get breezy there, even during the SW monsoon. Besides, Malaysia is a great to get away from the ever-buzzing beehive that is Singapore. I mean, Singapore is a great place, but it can get a wee bit busy eh.

Anyway, I hope above helps a bit. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.
Many thanks,
I guess ill try to find somewhere in between work and the city centre/nightlife.
The best thing i guess as others have said is to get out there and get a feel for the place then choose something.

Rgds

JD
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

There's a thread on Malaysia forum with a sailing link. I'll try and put s link in here tomorrow. A bit challenging when on my Pod heh heh. Need smaller fingers :-/