Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Areas to Live - Couple No kids!

Areas to Live - Couple No kids!

Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Burmesecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Areas to Live - Couple No kids!

Hi

We are locating from Australia to Singapore later this year due to Hubby's work.

Just wondered if you could give us a bit of a hint on some reasonable areas to live. There is just the two of us, mid 40s (so not too bothered by being in the night clubbing areas!). No kids so we don't need to worry about being near any schools.

The office location is N Bridge Rd, if that helps!

We wont be having a car and will be using public transport/taxis.

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked in heaps of times , but of course everybody is a little different.

Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:29 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to Live - Couple No kids!

Hi.....just to say to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience there. I'll let our current Singapore residents advise on areas as I've not lived there for a few years now.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 1:26 am
Just Joined

ori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to beholdori0n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Burmesecat
Hi

We are locating from Australia to Singapore later this year due to Hubby's work.

Just wondered if you could give us a bit of a hint on some reasonable areas to live. There is just the two of us, mid 40s (so not too bothered by being in the night clubbing areas!). No kids so we don't need to worry about being near any schools.

The office location is N Bridge Rd, if that helps!

We wont be having a car and will be using public transport/taxis.

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked in heaps of times , but of course everybody is a little different.

Thanks for any help!
Welcome to Singapore in advance!

Some suggestions for you based on what you had mentioned. The nearest MRT to your workplace would either be Bugis or City Hall MRT (depending on which part of the road)

2 Bedrooms Options:
If you don't mind a 2 bedroom options and not too far away from your workplace.
West Options:
Tiong Bahru, Redhill, Queenstown (The 2 bedroom cost between $4,000 - $5,500)

East Options:
Lavender, Aljunied (The 2 bedroom cost between $3,500 - $5,500)

North Options:
Novena, Balestier, Toa Payoh Braddell (The 2 bedroom cost between $3,500 - $5,500)

Do note that the wide price range is because there are some very old apartments that commands lesser pricing.

3 Bedrooms:
In the same recommended areas will be approx:
West Option: Between $5,000 - $7,500
East Option: Between $4,500 - $6,000
North Option: Between $5,500 - $8,000

The above is just an average guide. These locations are near to the main MRT lines which can take you straight to the MRT near your office.

Feel free to ask if you have any other enquiries. Cheers!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:08 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

We live on the red line at Newton. Couple 50 - There are lots of condos in this and the Newton area. In our experience living less than 5 mins walk from the mrt is necessary since we cant tolerate the heat and humidity too well.

Newton mrt also has a taxi rank which cuts down on the ever popular complaint you cant get a taxi when it rains.

The costs quoted in the previous emails are spot on.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

JennyBlaney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I am also new as just relocated from Singapore to sicily. Italy! Big culture change!
I found Singapore one of the easiest places to get around from MRT/subway to taxis... Walking isn't best, especially on the hottest and humid of days unless you are prepared to sweat it out! Don't panic about getting around, the island is small and taxis are everywhere so a car is to really needed.
We lived south of the island which, for my boyfriend and I was ideal. We were near a big mall called Vivocity (biggest mall in Singapore I believe?) with everything needed in it included 2 supermarkets, restaurants, good shops, Internet/TV set up. MRT station etc. We were also near Sentosa Island which was in walking distance and good for eating/sightseeing, also easy by taxi or monorail from the mall, or even cable car!
We lived in a complex called Reflections which was very new and peacefully located by Keppel Marina. Very luxurious but we opted to pay a little more since we new we'd only be there for 2 years. It was just the two of us but for a 2 bedroom both with ensuite (great for visitors) and a study, 2 balconies, large open living/kitchen area, we paid $7000 a month. The complex had 2 pools, jacuzzis, gym, mini grocers, free bus to and from the mall, and a clubhouse. We had help from my boyfriends company and I'm not sure if you are the same but we personally didn't pay too much into living there other than bills and a little to help the rent.
If you have any questions, small or big please get in touch. I know its difficult to try figure things out when you don't know much about the areas or city!
Good luck, jenny
Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenny....and Welcome to the forum to you too Thanks for popping into the Singapore section and helping out. Wow...wouldn't mind being in Sicily right now....great food and wine <<drool>> Hope you enjoy it there.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

westwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new here.
a quick question, if you don't mind.
Can anyone please tell me what a clubhouse is? and what is its function?
It pazzles me, I am currently looking for some sort of accomodaition on proprtyguru, and can not decide between a house or condo apartment. Condo seems considerably cheaper than houses, plus it's probably a big plus in that climate to have a swimming pool at your door at condo. But house so much cosier.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Hannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond repute

A clubhouse is normally by the pool in a condo. It might contain a gym and/or a function room you can rent for parties.

Some landed house estates also have these. No idea how you sign up though. Have a look for cluster housing, they are houses on a condo development.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

westwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hannieroo
A clubhouse is normally by the pool in a condo. It might contain a gym and/or a function room you can rent for parties.

Some landed house estates also have these. No idea how you sign up though. Have a look for cluster housing, they are houses on a condo development.
Thank you, Hannieroo!
Very helpfull, I'll have at cluster houses.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Burmesecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your helpful replies!

I haven't visited for a little while!

Plenty of thinking material,