Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
In my experience, the "infixes" are part of military jargon. I have not heard them in common uses since I left the US Army -- my service was in the early seventies. [BTW, is "70's" correct or should it be "70s"?
Fixed it for you.

Last edited by Norri; Apr 10th 2010 at 6:11 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think that error may well have been caused by a less than rigorous use of the computer spell checker [e.g. "Aye red the book."] I've been caught by such errors from time to time. They should not happen, but they do.

BTW, in Pat Conroy's fine book "Beach Music," there is an instance where the print edition used the name of the small town from "Prince of Tides" in error. I'm sure the book was given rigorous editing, but that one got through.
My poem on righting write, for Ace Fooling Ski:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
-- Sauce unknown --
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Can I ask you lot in the US about the 'c' word? I was flabbergasted when my Irish neighbour when telling a joke used it in front of his dad (who was over for a visit). It seems almost 'harmless' there from what I can gather. A few years back on a drunken night out in Tokyo with some fellow westerners I used it casually as you do (not calling any specific person one, mind) but an American girl who was in our group struck me on the arm, not altogether playfully either.
Just a cultural difference. A Brit telling an American woman that "If you want, I will knock you up tonight" is a classic cultural difference.

BTW, the American equivalent of insulting another man would use the "p" word rather than the "c" word. I have no idea why.

When I was in the US Army, the "c" word was used as a description for the "garrison cap." The name is actually so descriptive I have to work hard not to use the vulgarity. [The other formal head covering at the time was the "bus driver hat." I understand that the beret is now commonly used.].

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 10th 2010 at 10:25 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:05 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a cultural difference. A Brit telling an American woman that "If you want, I will knock you up tonight" is a classic cultural difference.

BTW, the American equivalent of insulting another man would use the "p" word rather than the "c" word. I have no idea why.

When I was in the US Army, the "c" word was used as a description for the "garrison cap." The name is actually so descriptive I have to work hard not to use the vulgarity. [The other formal head covering at the time was the "bus driver hat." I understand that the beret is now commonly used.].
I've not heard any Americans here use the 'p' word in that way.

Do you use (well, do men use?) the word 'dog' to describe women who are (ugly) hounds? (supply your own Chubby Brown joke...)

Caught a clip once from a Jerry Springer show where the vile women on stage kept insulting this bloke calling him a 'dog' at every opportunity.

Sorry if I'm boring the arse off those of you living in the States. Just curious. Only ever been to Hawaii.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

A man calling a woman a dog would be the equivalent of something like "slag". A woman calling a man a dog is derogatory, being the male equivalent of "slut". A man calling another man a dog is a compliment, implying sexual prowess.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:48 pm
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

[BTW, is "70's" correct or should it be "70s?"].
I would use '70s with the apostrophe representing the missing 19.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Is it true or a myth that in the US they tend to avoid using the present perfect tense whenever possible?

As in 'did you call him already?' rather than 'have you rung him yet?' or 'I lost my key' rather than 'I've lost my key'.

As for Spanish, my Peruvian friend never uses the present perfect tense where the preterite could be employed, eg 'que hiciste hoy?' rather than 'que has hecho hoy?' (what did you get up to today?) which is more likely to be used in Spain.
I hear it quite a bit, yes. All kinds of errors made in speech out here too. One of my least favourites is the "I am thinking . . ." style one. It may well be correct but there always seems to be some kind of built in redundancy in that expression that doesn't sit right with me. Like "I was wondering . . ." Not right to my ears!

That's probably just me, however.

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; Apr 10th 2010 at 4:34 pm. Reason: fixing my own grammatical error ;)
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:35 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
My poem on righting write, for Ace Fooling Ski:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
-- Sauce unknown --
That is sofa king we Todd did.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:30 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I hear it quite a bit, yes. All kinds of errors made in speech out here too. One of my least favourites is the "I am thinking . . ." style one. It may well be correct but there always seems to be some kind of built in redundancy in that expression that doesn't sit right with me. Like "I was wondering . . ." Not right to my ears!

That's probably just me, however.
it's just you,
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
it's just you,
Thought so
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
A man calling a woman a dog would be the equivalent of something like "slag". A woman calling a man a dog is derogatory, being the male equivalent of "slut". A man calling another man a dog is a compliment, implying sexual prowess.
I tread on tender ground here as a husband with two grown daughters. But you happen to be wrong.

Calling a woman a "dog" has really nothing to do with sexuality -- it is a pejorative -- but more in the sense of "ugly."

"Bitch" is no longer considered all that vulgar. When used to describe a woman, it is a reference to personality -- and in some quarters is considered a compliment.

I happen to know a woman who is, not only a "dog," but is not a "bitch." If she was a "bitch," it would be an improvement. A female friend of mine mentioned to me the "girl talk" that this woman often complained that no man would go to bed with her more than once. My reaction was "that many?"

A friend of mine was a Navy carrier pilot in World War II -- he was trained to fly the Curtis Helldiver, which was heartily disliked by those who had to fly the thing. It designation was "SB2C" which the pilots joked meant "Son Of a Bitch, 2nd Class." He later went on to fly the Corsair, Mustang and Spitfire. He just loved the Spitfire -- calling a "girl's airplane" in the sense of it was so sweet to fly. He does admit that the younger folks take his reference to "girl's airplane" in a sense than what he means.

Last aside: the California State building in LA did not do well in the 1971 Sylmar earthquake and was torn down. Eventually, a new building was erected and dedicated as the "Ronald Reagan State Office Building." Within a year, the word "office" was deleted from the name.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So not much call for "Cockthumpingthunderc#nt" then?

seems to get used when the Red Sox don't fair so well against the Yanks around my way
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
I have a comma problem

I tread on tender ground here as a husband with two grown daughters. But you happen to be wrong.

Calling a woman a "dog" has really nothing to do with sexuality -- it is a pejorative -- but more in the sense of "ugly."

"Bitch" is no longer considered all that vulgar. When used to describe a woman, it is a reference to personality -- and in some quarters is considered a compliment.
I'd agree - even back home we'd use 'dog' to refer to the, shall we say less attractive ones, and 'bitch' for the ones who were, well bitches . It doesn't necessarily follow that a 'bitch' has to be a 'dog', or vice versa. And I also tread carefully as a married man with a daughter

My reaction was "that many?"
- that was just funny! And kudos to the pilot friend of yours who complimented the Spitfire. Sadly I realised too late that I wanted to be a pilot, but as a Brit who loves aviation, the Spitfire is a thing of beauty to me. I'd love to be able to fly one, but I can't even afford to take lessons in a Cessna, never mind get certified to fly the old war birds!

The Corsair and Mustang were beautiful planes too though
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
And kudos to the pilot friend of yours who complimented the Spitfire. Sadly I realised too late that I wanted to be a pilot, but as a Brit who loves aviation, the Spitfire is a thing of beauty to me. I'd love to be able to fly one, but I can't even afford to take lessons in a Cessna, never mind get certified to fly the old war birds!

The Corsair and Mustang were beautiful planes too though
The worst airplane he flew as the Avia S-199 which he called a "Messerschmidt." He had flown off the USS Wasp (CV-18), which is not easy. This was especially true for the Corsair. He was kind of happy when he destroyed one of the S-199's on landing -- he hated the machine so much.

BTW, he was an original member of the "101 Squadron." I once asked him why he did that -- "adventure" or "being young and foolish." He said "both" with a smile but then explained that during the Second World War, they knew that things were extremely bad for Jews under the Nazis. "However, we had had a failure of imagination. A Jewish State just seemed to be a good idea." A funny thing is that he is not an ardent Zionist. He came back to the US in 1949.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 10th 2010 at 7:39 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:23 pm
I have a comma problem

The worst airplane he flew as the Avia S-199 which he called a "Messerschmidt." He had flown off the USS Wasp (CV-18), which is not easy. This was especially true for the Corsair. He was kind of happy when he destroyed one of the S-199's on landing -- he hated the machine so much.
I've read a lot of stories from pilots who felt the same way after flying a plane they particularly disliked!

Flying any plane off a carrier can't be easy but those ones from the 40s must have been so much harder compared to the fighters of today. I'm more impressed at how they can land the bloody things on a boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.