Writing a will

Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:28 am
Just Joined

patrickronan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Writing a will

I've been living in Sweden for 30 years and have reached an age when I've started to think about the need to write a will. According to Swedish law, the next in line to my inheritance is my wife followed by my children. That suits me fine.

But my question is whether Swedish law is overridden by UK law in this respect and, if so, does UK law differ from Swedish law in terms of who will inherit me. If UK law does take precedence, will it make any difference if I write a will stating that I want my wife (followed by my children) to inherit me.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

David Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really nice
Default Re: Writing a will

Hi

To be honest I think you really need some straight up legal advice from a professional. Paying a lawyer/solicitor for an hours worth of advice in drawing up a will in your families favour in whatever country you have settled in would save your family a lot of extra heartache should you pass away.

Getting this kind of info here in the forum might not be the wisest thing to do, people with all good intentions can give you good advice or "Concrete" answers only to end up being legally wrong.

//D
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:46 am
Just Joined

patrickronan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks David,
Trouble is finding the right lawyer. I've talked to a Swedish lawyer about writing a will and her answer was that to save myself money I should first find out if I need to write a will from a legal standpoint, as she wasn't sure about the international ramifications. It's sort of catch 22 but I should probably look for another lawyer, although this one was an expert in Swedish family law and was the one who helped by wife draw up a will. But I agree, a forum like this is not the right place.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

David Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really nice

Maybe you could find a good lawyer in this area via a large funeral director such as "FONUS" they must have a list of recommended lawyers somewhere as they must deal with these kind of things from time to time.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you are permanently settled in Sweden then you should normally make a will under Swedish law. Do you still have any property in the United Kingdom?

Assuming you plan to remain long term in Sweden, you should probably take steps to ensure your legal domicile is see as Sweden not Britain. For example - have you become a Swedish citizen?