Stockholm Sweden

Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

David Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really nice
Cool Stockholm Sweden

Hi everyone!
Just thought I would introduce myself.

I have been living and working here in Sweden since 1996 and before that I was living in NYC for seven years, so all in all I have not been living at "Home" for some considerable time.

If anyone would like some tips on the Lifestyle, language or the day to day living and working in Sweden you are more than welcome to drop me a line.

No guarantees I can answer all the questions but I'll give it my best shot!

Ha det gott!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stockholm Sweden

Hi David,
Do you know anything about Denmark? How different are the nordic countries to each other? I`ve got the opportunity to work in Denmark and want some advice about the good and bad points of living there.

I`m a Brit, and I used to live in New York too! Moved back to the UK about 6mths ago.

Thanks.

Gazza
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

David Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really nice

Hi Gazza,

I have a lot of Danish friends here in Sweden and they have all told me it's more like a cross between Germany and Scandinavia that's not to say they don't regard themselves as 100% Scandinavians! Personally I can't say I know much about the place even though I have been there many times in my travels. Maybe this link can help you with some of your questions. https://www.workindenmark.dk/ (SNIP) Good luck with getting the info you need.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 17th 2012 at 4:38 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Frogsters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hej! Thank you for the kind offer, I shall take it then!
I am French but like you I have not been living "at home" since 1992. Spain, Scotland and England (latter for 17 years). I will be moving to Stockholm towards the end of the year, Oct/Nov to join my partner who is Swedish and had to move back there early last year. I am trying to learn Swedish by mylself but it is a lot harder than any other languages I have ever learned! Any tips to make sense of things there to start with would be very very appreciated! The rest is a bonus! Tack Sa Mycket!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Joner39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi David,

I'm a Brit here in the UK but have been offered some work in Södertälje for 6 months, maybe longer. I'm struggling a little to find somewhere to live. I plan to fly out and stay in a hotel for the first week or two but would be most grateful for some pointers to finding somewhere to rent. I'm happy with a room (Professionals preferred, rather than students) or a small flat. Certainly dont need anything luxurious.

I've found various websites but i'm still struggling a little. Can you assist in any way to finding somewhere to live on a slightly more perm basis than a hotel room. Also, are you able to recommend a cheap hotel in this area?

Thanks again for posting, people already in location are such a great asset. Any assistance is very much appreciated

Regards

Chris
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Hej Frogsters

The only real tip I can give you is, do not be afraid to make mistakes when speaking it. There are things on the net you can download to listen to that can help with how you should sound when speaking Swedish, the more genuine you sound the easier it is. Actually the only real way to learn it is to try and speak it when you get here. When I first arrived I was always embarrassed to speak it for fear of sounding a complete idiot so it took me a lot longer than a normal foreigner to have a conversation in Swedish! But the good thing about Swedes (Unlike the french I find) is they are genuinely impressed at any attempt by any foreigner to speak their language. The only downside I can see is once they discover that your native tongue is English they will want to only speak English with you and 99% of swedes speak wonderful English.

When you get here and you get your person number (like a NI number) register locally with your Kommun (county) and for a course in Swedish which is called SFI, this course is free and is about 15-20hrs a week for 12 weeks, it's well worth it trust me!

Just try and speak with your partner (Who I assume is Swedish or Swedish speaking) as much as possible.

Anythng else just drop me a line. Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Hej Joner39

Finding somewhere to rent is always a trial even for Swedes who live here, generally people find place to rent short or long term via word of mouth or the local press. I think once you get here and settle in your work colleauges will be able to point you in the right direction. From where you are it is going to be difficult to search the web for place as well, as all I have found are sites in Swedish The best thing to look for is "andrahandskontrakt" which is where someone owns a flat and rents it out privately within a Condo. Some local estate agents can help with that as well (Mäklare)

As for Hotels, a budget 3 star should be around 450-650SEK a night. These you can search for on the web using an international hotel "Booking".

Scandic Hotels are quite a large chain here in Sweden are are quite competitive when it comes to pricing. Good Luck.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

I forgot to include some links for you Joner39...........

http://www.blocket.se
http://www.bostaddirect.se
http://www.andrahandsguiden.com
http://www.bopunkten.se

You might need some help navigating these but it's a start.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

karankumarr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
My name is Karan from portugal
I would like to move to sweden and set up my own business

I am Microsoft certified and also Cisco
I have a computer and mobile repair shop in Portugal but i want to move from here because of family problems

Please advise if it is a good idea to go to sweden and set up a computer and mobile phones repairing shop

I have some funds but dont know how much does it cost to rent a shop in france

also if you have some idea how much does it cost to repair a general problem in computer or mobile phone, will help me to decide

any advise is welcome

Thanks a lot
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hej karan

I'm not sure Sweden is the best place to start this kind of small business.

Sweden leads the way in mobile phone tech and all the mobile telephone operators here pretty much give phones away with the phone contracts.

Which in turn means that when a phone breaks down or has problem the person just returns it for a free repair or replacement. Not many people actually purchase a phone here without a contract and if they do it's normally a cheap phone, they would just buy another one if it broke down!

If you are Microsoft and Cisco certified you could possibly look for a permanent position in the computer industry itself. Which would mean looking at there web sites for international positions.

As for renting a shop in France? I have no clue.

Good luck
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Joner39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks david. i'm now in Stockholm and may consider the commuter train once I find out about my work on Sodertalje.

Kind Regards
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Joner39

If you are looking for a friendly face and maybe a good networking opportunity you can try here, http://www.tudorarms.com/ I haven't been there for a few years myself but I do remember it being very friendly and full of local info from the bar staff.

This is my personal favourite http://www.wirstromspub.se/

Welcome to Sweden, Good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

DepressedWolvesFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello David,

Another David here, I have been staying in Stockholm since August. The Swedish is coming along slowly and similiar to yourself it's taken a while to get used to talking it every day and not getting frustated when I don't know the words to finish my sentences.

I was just wondering if you know of any of local places to try for work? And if there is actually more work around in the Summer.

So far I have tried dropping CV's off at Irish bars etc, registered as a substitute at the English schools and applied for cleaning, bar jobs etc with no luck.

My background in England was a job coach, but I've done some backoffice banking customer service work before that and warehouse and bar work in my college days.

I know you must get asked this quite a bit but any tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

mefreeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hej David... I have posted a new thread with a few queries in there... if you get a chance I would certainly appreciate any advice you can give!!!!

thanks alot!!!

MF
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Katbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David Armstrong
Hi everyone!
Just thought I would introduce myself.

I have been living and working here in Sweden since 1996 and before that I was living in NYC for seven years, so all in all I have not been living at "Home" for some considerable time.

If anyone would like some tips on the Lifestyle, language or the day to day living and working in Sweden you are more than welcome to drop me a line.

No guarantees I can answer all the questions but I'll give it my best shot!

Ha det gott!
Hej David, having just returned from Stockholm (via the smallest airport in the world Vasteras) I can honestly say after a few years visiting friends in Uppsala, Ange, Gothenburg and Ostersund you live in the BEST place in the the EU. Me and the family are now really contemplating a move there (yes I know less money ...) but sometimes money just isn't everything. After watching my 9yr old catching fish in the local lake, his face said it all, this after his day (thanks to our friends sister) at Swedish school kinda made our minds up - he loved it! Sooo we are visiting again in November to check out whether the Winter is as bad as we think! then selling our house and moving - thanks for your tips x