Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Swedish Tax for expats.

Swedish Tax for expats.

Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Katamoungdapidgeons is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Swedish Tax for expats.

Sweeden has apparently 2 tiers of tax on your income.
I think its that one part is municipal, one part national.
Is it true that if you stay less than 5 years you dont have to pay the national part? If this is the case then how do you opt out and what happens if you stay over the 5 years, do you have back tax bill?
Do expats in Sweeden get an account to sort this out? Any advice appreciated & no I'm not a tax dodger. I just want to pay my fair share & not get into a wrangle trying to claim tax back if I shouldn't have paid it in the first place. The person who told me about this was american & there is a possibility it might be different for them
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Swedish Tax for expats.

As far as I am aware, if you are living and working here you pay tax. Like wise if you live and work in the UK you pay tax. There are two levels of tax, the one you refer to as national, is income tax. So you would only be eligible to claim this back if you were actually employed in another country and already paying tax there, but were working in Sweden on contract or something. The second, municipal tax, is like council tax, so you pay it if you live here, to the council who's are you live in.

But please don't take this as gospel as tax can be very complex with all sorts of special circumstances. But that is how I understand the basics to be.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Katamoungdapidgeons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swedish Tax for expats.

I have had some clarification from new Swedish employer - I wont have to worry as this issue is for high earners and not my tax bracket. So Looks like it is the same in every country!!!