Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Scandinavia...Leaving Bergen

Scandinavia...Leaving Bergen

Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Scandinavia...Leaving Bergen

Hello all. Looking for a little advice from the experts.

Jim and I are in the process of planning a trip next may to Scandinavia, and spending a few days in the UK on our return trip. We are t ravelling to Finland, then Sweden and ending in Bergen Norway to meet some friends for a few days.

We are finding the airfares from bergen-sweden-london (to be able to go through heathrow for our trip home) expensive. There are flights on the norwegian airline that travel from bergen-london (stansted) which are very inexpensive.

Now to make a long story short, my question is......(wait for it now)....how much of a pain in the ass is it to get from stansted to heathrow? or is it better for us to just bite the bullet and pay the more expensive fares to avoid the hassle?

I await your expert advice.....and thanks.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scandinavia...Leaving Bergen

Originally Posted by willmore
Hello all. Looking for a little advice from the experts.

Jim and I are in the process of planning a trip next may to Scandinavia, and spending a few days in the UK on our return trip. We are t ravelling to Finland, then Sweden and ending in Bergen Norway to meet some friends for a few days.

We are finding the airfares from bergen-sweden-london (to be able to go through heathrow for our trip home) expensive. There are flights on the norwegian airline that travel from bergen-london (stansted) which are very inexpensive.

Now to make a long story short, my question is......(wait for it now)....how much of a pain in the ass is it to get from stansted to heathrow? or is it better for us to just bite the bullet and pay the more expensive fares to avoid the hassle?

I await your expert advice.....and thanks.
HERE you go, takes about 1.5hrs on the coach for 20 squid return.
Are the flights 20 squid apart, I bet they are much more. ;-))
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Flights to/from Bergen were always expensive ..... as was Bergen itself actually
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Flights to/from Bergen were always expensive ..... as was Bergen itself actually
Heard that from several people as well as from some research Ive done. They arent using the euro are they now? Surely if they are using their own krone, it cant be that competitive with the dollar - or am I being stupid here and not understanding?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
HERE you go, takes about 1.5hrs on the coach for 20 squid return.
Are the flights 20 squid apart, I bet they are much more. ;-))
Thanks for the link, found that as well, but before we went any further just wanted some feedback from folks that have done it.

Thanks love.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Heard that from several people as well as from some research Ive done. They arent using the euro are they now? Surely if they are using their own krone, it cant be that competitive with the dollar - or am I being stupid here and not understanding?
Well .... last time I was there was I think 2000 and at that time we went for a meal, four of us, and it cost £350. We went for a beer later on in a club, and 6 relatively small bottles of beer cost us £26. Take money .... lots of it.

Its the kroner
1 US Dollar = 5.36425 Norwegian Kroner
1 Norwegian Kroner (NOK) = 0.18642 US Dollar (USD)
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like they are using the €`s HERE

Oooops I thought we were talking Finland. ;-))

Last edited by jdr; Nov 7th 2007 at 9:53 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well .... last time I was there was I think 2000 and at that time we went for a meal, four of us, and it cost £350. We went for a beer later on in a club, and 6 relatively small bottles of beer cost us £26. Take money .... lots of it.

Its the kroner
1 US Dollar = 5.36425 Norwegian Kroner
1 Norwegian Kroner (NOK) = 0.18642 US Dollar (USD)

Really appreciate all your help. Will certainly keep it in mind when we do our final budget, may have to finetune the trip a bit.

Since you've been there, any suggestions on places to stay and eat (inexpensive as possible)?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
Looks like they are using the €`s HERE

Oooops I thought we were talking Finland. ;-))
You just LOVE to deliver bad news to me dont you. That's really unfortunate news, will probably cut the trip to finland short a few days I guess.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

You just LOVE to deliver bad news to me dont you. That's really unfortunate news, will probably cut the trip to finland short a few days I guess.

Thanks for all your help.
Sorry, but it may be worse when the oil money changes to €`s, get your trip in fast. ;-)
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:00 pm
Senior Moment

Really appreciate all your help. Will certainly keep it in mind when we do our final budget, may have to finetune the trip a bit.

Since you've been there, any suggestions on places to stay and eat (inexpensive as possible)?
Its been a while, and to be honest we stayed in a fairly expensive hotel in the center called the King something but I think its renamed as I cant see it on hotel lists

Heres a site though
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...ds-Hotels.html
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its been a while, and to be honest we stayed in a fairly expensive hotel in the center called the King something but I think its renamed as I cant see it on hotel lists

Heres a site though
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...ds-Hotels.html
Thanks for the link and the advice. Always prefer to be as preferred as possible. We are going to Bergen to visit a canadian couple/colleagues that moved there a few years ago.

Take care.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry, but it may be worse when the oil money changes to €`s, get your trip in fast. ;-)
Right now the exchange rate isnt bad between the euro and the canadian dollar, was much worse last year when we visiting the UK.

1 EUR = 1.36813 CAD 1 CAD = 0.730924 EUR

We're heading over next may, will be interesting to see the exchange rate at that time.

Thanks for your help you hockey fanatic you!

Last edited by willmore; Nov 8th 2007 at 11:57 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Soros is an unknown quantity at this point

the pound will likely keep falling against other currenies (save the US dollar) in the year to come.

The Norwegian Kroner is strong and will grow stronger (Petro Kroner) unlike the Swedish that is prone to speculation. The Danish Kroner is linked to th Euro
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Soros
the pound will likely keep falling against other currenies (save the US dollar) in the year to come.

The Norwegian Kroner is strong and will grow stronger (Petro Kroner) unlike the Swedish that is prone to speculation. The Danish Kroner is linked to th Euro
Thanks for the info. It will help us with budgeting for our trip in may. The canadian dollar is still very strong against the currencies used in the Scandinavia countries compared to the euro.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.