Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Looking for work in Bergen, Norway

Looking for work in Bergen, Norway

Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Silks9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for work in Bergen, Norway

Me and my family are moving to Bergen, Norway in the summer and I would really like to find work before we go. We have friends over there so If I do get a job I can move immediately BUT I am having huge difficulty with even getting an interview as I don't speak fluent Norwegian. I am willing to do literally anything (within reason lol) and have been studying the Norwegian language since October 2012 but am nowhere near 'fluent'.
What would you suggest to start me off in the world of employment in Bergen?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work in Bergen, Norway

Just go. You will find plenty of jobs available when you get there - as long as you're not too fussy. Speaking fluent Norsk would be a bonus, of course, but it's not essential at all. Norway has thousands of economic refugees from Africa, the Middle East and eastern Europe, and they all find jobs (those who want to).

My son went there - admittedly, ten years ago - and found work easily, around Oslo. Now he lives there full time, and is so confident of the jobs situation he intends to quit the job he's had for five years and take casual work. He has two daughters there, so is not as flexible as you would be. So you will be fine!