Sweden -- Sambo?

Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Collider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sweden -- Sambo?

Hey all. Another first-time poster looking to move to Sweden...

I'm looking to move over there to live with my Swedish partner, in the hopes of finding work once I'm settled but first to learn the language and generally get my existence sorted. I was wondering if anyone here has any practical experience with the 'sambo' system -- from my understanding, it seems to be easier in this case to apply for right of residence etc after arriving in the country than it would be to try and start it from within the UK? But, as is often the case with these sorts of things, the information I've found has been somewhat sketchy on details.

So, does anyone have any experience of moving to Sweden to live with a Swedish partner (who is already in possession of an apartment and a job etc)? Is it really a case of getting over there and then getting the paperwork done? It feels somewhat strange, to say the least, just upping sticks and hoping for the best!

Many thanks,
Collider.

Last edited by Collider; Mar 5th 2013 at 12:00 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

OzTaylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sweden -- Sambo?

I moved to Sweden around 6 months ago and now have residency and a personnummer.

If you are Sambo and have a fixed address it will make life easier for you, however residency will only be granted if you can also support yourself (if you have a job) or you can prove that you have been Sambo for over 3 years. My girlfriend and I rented and had a mortgage in the UK before moving to Sweden together. We provided evidence of rental/mortgage agreements going back over 3 years and my residency was granted within a month.

If you don't have employment you are in a catch 22 situation. You can't get a job without a personnummmer and you can't get residency without a job. Be prepared to stand in queues being passed between migrationsverket and skatteverket. You may have to apply for a temporary personnummer to get your foot on the ladder.

That's pretty much all the advice I can provide at the moment but I'll check back here and help out if I can.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Swindon_Sweden_Jimbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think they will grant sambo if you can prove you have some money to support yourself? I've been saving for a house here in the uk so have a bit of cash in the bank.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:54 am
Just Joined

OzTaylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Sambo isn't really granted, as far as I'm aware. It's simply a legal recognition of you and your partner cohabiting, which gives you certain rights as a couple.

If you can prove that you and your partner have been cohabiting for longer than 3 years, in England or Sweden, or wherever, you should be given residency without any problems.

Just take all your info down to migrationsverket when you get here, fill in some forms, hand them in, then wait. Once you get your residency card, then head to skatteverket for your personnummer so you can get a job.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Swindon_Sweden_Jimbo is an unknown quantity at this point

OK Thanks Oz - Thats put my mind at ease. I didnt want to get there and have to wait 9 months!