Couriers to Norway

Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Stoobert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couriers to Norway

Hi,

I am moving to Norway in approximately 3 weeks time. I am not taking anything with me except my computer which is needed...

What is the best way of getting it from England to Oslo without driving it over myself? I have had quotes of approximatly £140 for the base unit and same again for the monitor (from UPS and FedEx)

Anyone have any better ideas?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Ellesea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Couriers to Norway

TNT & DHL operate in Norway..you could try them.

You'd have a long drive to Norway BTW as there is no direct passenger ferry service between UK & Norway
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Stoobert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ellesea

You'd have a long drive to Norway BTW as there is no direct passenger ferry service between UK & Norway
Yes, so I was told on Saturday that the Stavanger <-> Newcastle service has basically all but stopped >.<

I will have a look at TNT and DHL though, thanks
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have ColorLine stopped their service from Newcastle then .... they used to carry limited passengers
You could actually use a groupage trailer service - I'm a bit out of the loop, but RH Freight used to run services to Norway, they were one of the main ones. A package like that would used to have cost about £45 depot / depot, but I don't know what the prices are like now. Transit time would be 2/3 days depot / depot - Google RH Freight

In fact heres the link where you can get an online quote
http://www.rhfreight.co.uk/nbsp/tabid/57/Default.aspx

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 10th 2008 at 1:36 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:06 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

RH wont ship personal effects

Paul

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Have ColorLine stopped their service from Newcastle then .... they used to carry limited passengers
You could actually use a groupage trailer service - I'm a bit out of the loop, but RH Freight used to run services to Norway, they were one of the main ones. A package like that would used to have cost about £45 depot / depot, but I don't know what the prices are like now. Transit time would be 2/3 days depot / depot - Google RH Freight

In fact heres the link where you can get an online quote
http://www.rhfreight.co.uk/nbsp/tabid/57/Default.aspx
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul090971
RH wont ship personal effects

Paul
Strange, they used to within Europe. But you had to pay up front of course. I have emailed them and also RW Freight who are another one for Oslo
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:04 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont waste your time, they dont ship personal effects.

Best to use a courier service.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:56 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by paul090971
Dont waste your time, they dont ship personal effects.

Best to use a courier service.
I'm not wasting my time. I spent 30 years in the freight industry and I know how things work. They put an agent between them and the personal effects shipper to save them the hassle of dealing with a private individual, hence their reply below. So a quote can be gained from DHL and the company named below for a comparison
Hi Jon

I’ve spoken to one of our branch managers who have advised me that you need to contact a company called Voovit (0151 9491122). Voovit deal with independent people whereas we just deal with companies really. However Voovit will probably ask us for a quote so the shipment will probably be carried with us.
If you need any further info, just let me know.
Kind regards
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Although DFDS have stopped the Newcastle-Bergen passenger service (I was on the final sailing back to the UK, so mad about it - don't ask :curse. Since taking that (thinking it was the only way to get back with my car) I found out that DFDS Tor Line have the NorBridge service which takes on a small number of passengers and their vehicles:

http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLi...hSea/index.htm
http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLi...e/NorwayUK.htm

I know of a friend who did it, took about 36 hours from Breivik to Newcastle I think she said. You get cabins and food is also included! There's no entertainment or anything but it gets you there - it's also much cheaper than Bergen - Newcastle! She said all the truckers were chatting to her and her friend ;-)
http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLi...on/Passengers/

The final sailing Bergen - Newcastle was cram jam packed, and I'm not exaggerating, people had to CLIMB to get back to their cars. I paid almost £500 for me and my car one way for a poky inside cabin which wasn't clean. Anyway, the Tor Line option may be worth checking out.

Enjoy - I love Norway and miss it to bits (although I'm looking forward to moving to Canada too!). I am determined to keep my Norwegian up though

Good luck,

Adele x

Last edited by adele; Nov 12th 2008 at 8:21 pm.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:39 pm

ChrisNorway is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong Ellesea,Newcastle Kristiansand
Old May 12th 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChrisNorway
Wrong Ellesea,Newcastle Kristiansand
At the time of writing (nearly 6 months ago), this was correct! Yes, I know it is possible to get across as a passenger on a freight ferry, but I was refering to passenger ferries. If there is now a passenger ferry service between Kristiansand and Newcastle, then please feel free to provide everyone with information.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:21 pm

ChrisNorway is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Ellesea;7564980]At the time of writing (nearly 6 months ago), this was correct! Yes, I know it is possible to get across as a passenger on a freight ferry, but I was refering to passenger ferries. If there is now a passenger ferry service between Kristiansand and Newcastle, then please feel free to provide everyone with information.[/QUOT

www.dfds.no, Så enkelt når man vet,ikke sant
Old May 13th 2009, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ChrisNorway;7565065]
At the time of writing (nearly 6 months ago), this was correct! Yes, I know it is possible to get across as a passenger on a freight ferry, but I was refering to passenger ferries. If there is now a passenger ferry service between Kristiansand and Newcastle, then please feel free to provide everyone with information.

Originally Posted by adele
www.dfds.no, Så enkelt når man vet,ikke sant
For the benefit of those that don't understand Norwegian, then please respond in English please. I really don't know what you are trying to prove here!

You should check the information on the link you provided...you'll find that the service you are refering to isn't there...and hasn't done so for a couple of years. I know this because that is how I used to travel back to UK.

Tor Line provide a service, but this is a freight ferry service, that takes passengers if space allows.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 14th 2009 at 4:07 am. Reason: Correctly attributing the quote