Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Old Feb 27th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
As I've observed before, it's not personal; they just get in their little metal box and the blinkers go on and they have to get to wherever they are going as fast as possible. Everyone else on the road is just an obstruction to be navigated.
100%. I can remember having a meeting on site with one of our Clients. He's a local chap and super nice. We finish the meeting and I jump in my car and head off. 5km down the road and all I can see is a Landcruiser flying towards my back bumper an ushering me out of the way in a threatening manner (standard yocal driving++). I'm sure he didn't realise it was me but that's not the point, he went from being a super nice pleasant and humble chap outside the car to pretty much homicidal maniac when he was in it. It's such a strange mindset.

Originally Posted by Scamp
We had to swerve and then he pulled up behind us gesturing to ask what he'd done wrong. Fair play to her, she had a tight grip on my arm when the red mist descended and I said I was going to educate him.
I'm getting better at keeping my cool these days but there's still the odd occasion when I react.... possibly more than I should do.

You need to be so careful here though, I've had a few occasions where the dickee just happens to be an off duty copper or CID.... and it's just not worth it.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
You need to be so careful here though, I've had a few occasions where the dickee just happens to be an off duty copper or CID.... and it's just not worth it.
I'm good as gold normally, but the arrogance of this one was phenomenal and with the mrs driving him then trying to intimidate by driving close and gesturing. I wanted to smash his head off his steering wheel (for about 8 seconds), then let it go.

Next time someone beeps to push up a gap or move at the lights or for any noddy reason, just get out, walk to the back of your car and gesture quizzically to find out the problem. Have a good look at your bumper and under the car as if you're wondering what's happened for them to beep. It's great fun, you remain calm and pleasant and 9 times out of 10 they're mopping up shit in their seat because someone actually got out their car
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm good as gold normally, but the arrogance of this one was phenomenal and with the mrs driving him then trying to intimidate by driving close and gesturing. I wanted to smash his head off his steering wheel (for about 8 seconds), then let it go.

Next time someone beeps to push up a gap or move at the lights or for any noddy reason, just get out, walk to the back of your car and gesture quizzically to find out the problem. Have a good look at your bumper and under the car as if you're wondering what's happened for them to beep. It's great fun, you remain calm and pleasant and 9 times out of 10 they're mopping up shit in their seat because someone actually got out their car
To be fair anyone who doesn't close the gap letting wankers cut in / doesn't move at the lights needs a swift kick up the jacksie! Make progress remember!

I do like the approach tho.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:28 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna have to try this one.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I do like the approach tho.
Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Gonna have to try this one.
Do it totally innocently and without aggression. It's the only way.

I did it at the petrol station when I was waiting for my receipt. Guy in a range rover behind shat himself when I got out and walked towards him. Got an apology when I asked what had happened to my car and he had to admit he beeped for me to move...
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

May I just add another bit of road?

The E75, between the 611 and the 311 going past Al Ghadeer, again, one lane each direction but the amount of times I've seen car overtaking car that's overtaking truck coming towards me...

Endless fun.

Still think the 611 with the trucks is the most dangerous though, a 120+ speed limit, one lane blocked by trucks, twats doing 140 in the third lane pushing you (doing 120) into the middle, with stationery trucks on the right lane. Then some twat pulls out at 40...
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:34 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Parking. I want something easily parked in the UK. I can outperform an Italian when it comes to parking in cramped spaces.
Fnaar, fnaar...