Yes
87.50%
No
12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Are you christened?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:32 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you christened?

Originally Posted by Ethos83
You just proved my point. Jaded. Selfish. Rootless.
I think that is very rude. Just because someone has no time for religion and prefer to make their own choices in life, that does not make them rootless or selfish. It's an appalling asssumption to make, as is throwing insults at a child because of their parents' choices.

Just because you seem to feel you have no option but to be utterly conventional, it is not right to make assumptions about people who choose to do things in a different way. I totally understand why people are jaded about religious conventions as we have covered numerous times on here.

You may feel that you have to prove your relationship is valid by some form of public declaration, but it may be that others are secure enough not to have to do that? It is a choice, not an obligation.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You just proved my point. Jaded. Selfish. Rootless.

No concept of being part of an ancient cultural tradition going back eons in all cultures and civilisations worldwide. No concept of making a statement to the community and world that you're entering a formal union with a woman out of love and respect (well, hopefully).

I'm inclined to think that this whole not getting married because I don't believe in it is a symptom of the rotten core at the heart of the modern post-liberal west - that we've all become so selfish and individualistic that we're rejecting participation in the institutions that help define not just family but community, history and traditions that have helped to guide our civilisations through time.

I'm not as coldhearted as I may sound as I do accept there are genuine circumstances why people elect not to get married. Still, I'm thankful I'm not as unromantic as to look at a woman and think, wow, I can't believe she's my partner. What a nasty word. This time next week I will have a wife. And I'm very much looking forward to it.
Correct on almost all of your accounts. Although I have no idea how you conclude selfish and rootless. More like honest and open-minded.

We were together 6 years before marriage - owned houses, cars and had a kid. The paper means nothing. In fact, having lived through a 10 year divorce as a child, I'd say that paper is curse. Look forwards not backwards.

Read this post in 10 years time. and in the meantime enjoy the sexless wedding night when she is too pissed, feeling emotional or on the blob to let you get your fingers wet.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 16th 2013 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

This time next week I will have a wife. And I'm very much looking forward to it.
Really?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Correct on almost all of your accounts. Although I have no idea how you conclude selfish and rootless. More like honest and open-minded.

We were together 6 years before marriage - owned houses, cars and had a kid. The paper means nothing. In fact, having lived through a 10 year divorce as a child, I'd say that paper is curse. Look forwards not backwards.

Read this post in 10 years time. and in the meantime enjoy the sexless wedding night when she is too pissed, feeling emotional or on the blob to let you get your fingers wet.
It's never stopped him before.............
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all - Quite the opposite in fact as I don't really like the concept of marriage.
You get a bit of paper that you put in the safe and only look at when moving it out of the way to get the cheque book to pay the plumber to clear the drains.
But it does give the mother of your children (assuming you have them) some legal rights and financial protection in the event that you decide to piss off and leave her lumbered with them.
I know I'm old-fashioned but it does seem the right thing to do IMHO.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
But it does give the mother of your children (assuming you have them) some legal rights and financial protection in the event that you decide to piss off and leave her lumbered with them.
I know I'm old-fashioned but it does seem the right thing to do IMHO.
So there we have it. Marriage is for legal and financial protection and not a statement of love or endorsement by the Church.

Unless you are a complete asshole, splitting a non-married household with joint assets and kids isn't really a walk in the park.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 5:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

So there we have it. Marriage is for legal and financial protection and not a statement of love or endorsement by the Church.
I know I haven't followed the thread but I don't know that anyone did make that statement. First time I married was registry office, second time in the Royal Armouries Fort Nelson (it was splendid). My youngest son married last week on a farm, Humanist ceremony which literally included tying the knot.
Unless you are a complete asshole, splitting a non-married household with joint assets and kids isn't really a walk in the park.
The problem being that there are a lot of asshats out there. If I was a woman I wouldn't sprog unless I had the legal backup. Thats based on observation as opposed to being able to back it up with any stats. It's very easy for some men to simply walk away and very difficult to extract money from them for the care of the children they helped bring into the world.

I should have stated that first time I married was for child bearing. Second time I felt waaaay past that stuff (grandkids please) and it was purely a declaration of love to my family and friends.

Last edited by mikewot; Jul 17th 2013 at 5:28 am. Reason: Missed a bit
Old Jul 17th 2013, 6:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I definitely wouldn't have kids with someone who I didn't expect to be with forever. Married or not.

Having a kid is a much bigger decision because it ties you for life. Marriages can be ended, but kids can't be....well, they can be, but you know.

That being said, perhaps the worse stories come from unmarried couples with a kid or two, because they are apparently hard work and stressful so maybe cause more rifts / splits?

Who knows. Anyone who's got this far into my post knows I'm unmarried without kids but think I know more than all of you combined. Which I do.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:08 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I definitely wouldn't have kids with someone who I didn't expect to be with forever. Married or not.

Having a kid is a much bigger decision because it ties you for life. Marriages can be ended, but kids can't be....well, they can be, but you know.

That being said, perhaps the worse stories come from unmarried couples with a kid or two, because they are apparently hard work and stressful so maybe cause more rifts / splits?

Who knows. Anyone who's got this far into my post knows I'm unmarried without kids but think I know more than all of you combined. Which I do.
So to summarise sometimes being married is good and sometimes being married is bad.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

- owned houses, cars
just can't resist the bragging.. symptomatic of your rootless and selfish nature no doubt
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
just can't resist the bragging.. symptomatic of your rootless and selfish nature no doubt
I was going to mention the dog and hamster but thought that would be overdoing it.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
So to summarise sometimes being married is good and sometimes being married is bad.
If that's how you choose to take it.

I just think that if you choose to have kids with someone, whether married or not it's a more serious commitment together than anything else. If you enter into anything wondering what you might / might not get out of it financially then you're doing it for the wrong reasons completely.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:15 am
Account Closed

I was going to mention the dog and hamster but thought that would be overdoing it.
You've made it.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:26 am
Knee deep and rising

If that's how you choose to take it.

I just think that if you choose to have kids with someone, whether married or not it's a more serious commitment together than anything else. If you enter into anything wondering what you might / might not get out of it financially then you're doing it for the wrong reasons completely.
I was just on the wind up basically

Anyhow I disagree on two points, firstly the idea of choosing to have kids. What percentage of kids could be considered 'accidental' it's probably very high.

Secondly anyone one entering marriage for financial reasons has as good a chance of surviving as getting married for for love.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:30 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

No dog (yet) no hampster (hopefully never)

But we did just receive a set of 12 sterling silver bread and butter plates from one of my American relatives.

We're now set for life.

You've made it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.