British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are you christened? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-christened-803032/)

Millhouse Jul 16th 2013 8:24 am

Are you christened?

We have a lot of non-christian, Brits -- posting here. How many have actually been christened but are not religious?

mikewot Jul 16th 2013 8:39 am

Re: Are you christened?

Remember that you're most likely to be christened at an age where you're not informed enough to give consent and it was traditional in my parents generation to do so.

The_Citizen Jul 16th 2013 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10802334)
We have a lot of non-christian, Brits -- posting here. How many have actually been christened but are not religious?

How about a option for christened and religious?

Millhouse Jul 16th 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10802406)
How about a option for christened and religious?

or religious but not christened.

Blue Cat Jul 16th 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10802334)

me

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 9:31 am

Christianed (Church of England)- went to catholic schools - now atheist.

Kix Jul 16th 2013 9:56 am

Christened - didn't have a choice, choirboy (don't laugh), atheist.

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 10:10 am

I was christened, but I have no idea what name I was given.......... :huh:

Brains1983 Jul 16th 2013 10:24 am

Christened - Church Of Scotland. Neither of my children have been or will be unless it's something they choose for themselves.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 16th 2013 11:05 am

I wore a rather fetching little sailor's outfit.

Flowing blond, curly locks too.

britexpat76 Jul 16th 2013 11:13 am

I think my Mum and Dad christened me as they wanted a piss up after. Pretty much how it works for my pals with rug rats these days.

Holly Would Jul 16th 2013 12:25 pm

What's the difference between Christened and Baptised? I am (both presumably if there isn't a difference) but haven't been to Church for yonks. My children are too, but have never been to Church.

Hello to all, by the way, new here but not to the region. This site looks like fun!

Ethos83 Jul 16th 2013 12:46 pm

Christened and confirmed. CoE.

Generally only go to church on Christmas Eve for the midnight services. And weddings. And funerals. And concerts. One of the remaining virtues of modern day CoE is that a lot of churches host excellent concert series.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 16th 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10802765)
Christened and confirmed. CoE.

Generally only go to church on Christmas Eve for the midnight services. And weddings. And funerals. And concerts. One of the remaining virtues of modern day CoE is that a lot of churches host excellent concert series.

Midnight mass - not been in years. Normally go home now and get pissed with my old mate in the local, then his Dad picks him up to go with the family to the Cathedral for mass. I stagger home wondering how he does it.

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 12:53 pm

Interesting that people aren't getting their kids Christened, im now god parent to 7 kids though- parents aren't allowed to travel together!