Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Would a guy in a pink shirt put you off?

Would a guy in a pink shirt put you off?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would a guy in a pink shirt put you off?

Originally Posted by MataHari
My oldest son has an interview for an internship at one of the major hotels in Dubai tomorrrow and now has been sent into a panick cause his mentor told him not to wear a pink shirt to the interview...
Is it a British thing to think that a guy in a pink shirt must have something wrong with him?
Your son has a 'mentor'?

Explain please?

And is this an unpaid internship?? I can understand that, because all hotel workers earn several million dollars a year, so they must be looking to save money...........
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:52 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Your son has a 'mentor'?

Explain please?

And is this an unpaid internship?? I can understand that, because all hotel workers earn several million dollars a year, so they must be looking to save money...........
is that the wrong word, mentor? it's just the person that coordinates all this kind of stuff...should it be called a coordinator, does it matter? I am sure there is an official title but it's escaped me.

yes, it's unpaid...it's an experiment so to speak, as both we and school really have no clue what to do with him, he's not academic in any shape or form, but since he's only 17 in september, he needs to go to school, which is a bit of a waste of time really, so the idea is to get him working in the hotel to gain experience and fingers crossed he (and they) will like it and he will be able to progress that way.
Anyway, it's a long story, and I am not really in the mood to write it all down, and I am also not in the mood of people telling me that that is a crap idea bla bla bla. It's more of a desperate measure than anything else.

(oh and by the way, he's not thick or stupid or some sad case, just thought I'd add that)
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:55 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

is that the wrong word, mentor? it's just the person that coordinates all this kind of stuff...should it be called a coordinator, does it matter? I am sure there is an official title but it's escaped me.

yes, it's unpaid...it's an experiment so to speak, as both we and school really have no clue what to do with him, he's not academic in any shape or form, but since he's only 17 in september, he needs to go to school, which is a bit of a waste of time really, so the idea is to get him working in the hotel to gain experience and fingers crossed he (and they) will like it and he will be able to progress that way.
Anyway, it's a long story, and I am not really in the mood to write it all down, and I am also not in the mood of people telling me that that is a crap idea bla bla bla. It's more of a desperate measure than anything else.

(oh and by the way, he's not thick or stupid or some sad case, just thought I'd add that)

Someone struck a nerve.......
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:09 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Oi, that's unnecessary.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:12 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Oi, that's unnecessary.
Oi, I'm pretty sure that MH took the post in the manner it was meant....
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:17 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

nah...it's just that it's all a fcking nightmare and I am fed up with it all...nothing to do with The Dean this time.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:18 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Oi, that's unnecessary.
thanks, but I can handle TGFKASE...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:21 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

You tease..
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:23 am
hmmmm...nice

You tease..
force of habit and all that...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:38 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

force of habit and all that...
I wouldn't need forced, believe me.....
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:42 am
hmmmm...nice

I wouldn't need forced, believe me.....
Thailand is your oyster...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:52 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Thailand is your oyster...
What, you mean cold, slippery and salty????
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trade school in the Netherlands. Sorry, but that's the only real answer once he finishes school out here. We've been through this before, the UAE is not a place for a young Westerner who isn't in school nor in university and thus completely unemployable.

That aside, he could enjoy the hotel experience but expect grueling work for mediocre pay. I know a few people in management at the better hotels in Dubai and they make next to nothing while working 60 hour weeks. It is only when you get to be one of the top four or so senior managers that the pay becomes something acceptable.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:27 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Trade school in the Netherlands. Sorry, but that's the only real answer once he finishes school out here. We've been through this before, the UAE is not a place for a young Westerner who isn't in school nor in university and thus completely unemployable.

That aside, he could enjoy the hotel experience but expect grueling work for mediocre pay. I know a few people in management at the better hotels in Dubai and they make next to nothing while working 60 hour weeks. It is only when you get to be one of the top four or so senior managers that the pay becomes something acceptable.
any thoughts on the pink shirt issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.