Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Would a guy in a pink shirt put you off?

Would a guy in a pink shirt put you off?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:31 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would a guy in a pink shirt put you off?

My oldest son has an interview for an internship at one of the major hotels in Dubai tomorrrow and now has been sent into a panick cause his mentor told him not to wear a pink shirt to the interview...
Is it a British thing to think that a guy in a pink shirt must have something wrong with him?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Re: Would a guy in a pink shirt put you off?

Originally Posted by MataHari
My oldest son has an interview for an internship at one of the major hotels in Dubai tomorrrow and now has been sent into a panick cause his mentor told him not to wear a pink shirt to the interview...
Is it a British thing to think that a guy in a pink shirt must have something wrong with him?
Not at all, I have a few pink polo tops but then again maybe I have something wrong with me........

When i first wore a pink top years ago my mates all slagged me for it. I'd say its pretty common now and I dont think he needs to worry about that. Unless he wears high heels with it!!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:09 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I often wear a pink shirt when wearing dark blue or very dark grey suits for work. My wife seems to like it

Not sure about the hospitality sector, but walk around DIFC and you will see penty of pink shirts.

GL to your son
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:09 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Real men wear pink......
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say there is a certain percentage of men that assume if your a guy wearing pink you must be a screaming queen. However I'd say it depends on the shade of pink and your colouring and what you wear it with and how you wear it! Also a 20 stone rugby type does look a bit funny wearing a pink shirt! I think you need a certain feminity to pull it off (think Hugh Grant)or just have to be gorgeous then you can get away with wearing anything! Although I think I'd rather see Hugh Jackman out of a pink shirt than in it!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

just have to be gorgeous then you can get away with wearing anything!
That must be why i get away with it

Either that or I am that sozzled at a brunch I dont notice people laughing. Think its the latter.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:29 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I think it might be that his mentor is telling him that the interview is about selling himself and not to wear anything that might detract from that. Conservative is normally best at first interviews unless you are applying for a creative type role. Don't give the interviewer anything to take offence at.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

don't think I could work for someone who takes offense at a particular colour of shirt. I guess if it said "I hate blacks" or "I love Hitler" or something then fair enough, but a colour?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:40 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
don't think I could work for someone who takes offense at a particular colour of shirt. I guess if it said "I hate blacks" or "I love Hitler" or something then fair enough, but a colour?
True, perhaps "offence" is too strong a word but the theory holds true. I'd also suggest that as he hasn't years of experience under his belt and this is an internship, he would be less likely to be able to pick and choose his employers in Dubai.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:40 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Black is a colour.......
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:42 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My oldest son has an interview for an internship at one of the major hotels in Dubai tomorrrow and now has been sent into a panick cause his mentor told him not to wear a pink shirt to the interview... Is it a British thing to think that a guy in a pink shirt must have something wrong with him?
Nothing wrong with a pink shirt in my book. If your lad is applying to any of the Downtown Burj hotels, send me a Pm as I know some of the managers there as I handle their insurance claims..
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nowt' wrong with pink shirts, I've got several. And before anybody starts: it takes a real man to wear pink.

As for an interview? Why not, unless its flourescent?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I'd say there is a certain percentage of men that assume if your a guy wearing pink you must be a screaming queen. However I'd say it depends on the shade of pink and your colouring and what you wear it with and how you wear it! Also a 20 stone rugby type does look a bit funny wearing a pink shirt! I think you need a certain feminity to pull it off (think Hugh Grant)or just have to be gorgeous then you can get away with wearing anything! Although I think I'd rather see Hugh Jackman out of a pink shirt than in it!
Also a 20 stone rugby type does look a bit funny wearing a pink shirt

I wear one often enough..... including to work.

First impressions though................ "crisp and white is always right"
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Who the hell is Crispin White?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:30 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Who the hell is Crispin White?
He appears to be some Marketing kinda chap....

Crispin White....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.