Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai

Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:24 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai

Originally Posted by Eva
Have I told you lately I love you?
..ye cannae fall for an auld yin ?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:26 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
..agree crisp cotton sheets is best in Greece..though I have often wondered if silk sheets would stick if one is sweaty?
You know the answer already..............
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:27 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Have I told you lately I love you?

..I hope The Dean's not reading this thread..he will be jealous

Anyway..time for bed. TTFN
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:33 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

...again being from a poor background and living in Polmont near Falkirk (Stirlingshire)...
From Polmont you say... here's one for you from the hot new things on the Scottish music scene, signed by Alan McGee etc...

Polmont On My Mind - Glasvegas

(bonus point if you can name the "sample")

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:34 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

..I hope The Dean's not reading this thread..he will be jealous

Anyway..time for bed. TTFN
S'agapo
Kalanichta
xxx
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:37 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Autonomy
From Polmont you say... here's one for you from the hot new things on the Scottish music scene, signed by Alan McGee etc...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwJW3JxbIjI

Alan McGhee has to be at least 48...........
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:44 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Alan McGhee has to be at least 48...........
Probably, but he has some ears.... and and ego to match....
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:54 pm
Powered by cows

Originally Posted by W10
Which assumptions are wrong. I got this...

Dubai has no class or taste, is uncultured with most people spending time in malls, is discriminatory and unethical, deluded and intolerrent.

I think that can all be safely levelled at Dubai. It's just not very original...
Does this not apply to most commuter towns on the M25?

I wonder has the op/ed writer has ever read J.G. Ballard...
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:02 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Wow...thats pretty literal of you.

I don't think he was attempting to claim that every single person in Dubai fitted this description to a tee. If you take personal exception to it, then you must spend a lot of time being angry at newspaper articles...

I'd say - in my humble opinion - that he is spot on about Dubai, and about more than 70% of its residents.

Literal: free from exaggeration or embellishment.

I don't take personal exception to a guy that does research, understands his subject matter and gives fair representation to the subject.

I do however, find it both offensive and derogatory to assume that everyone who is in Dubai has come here for the same reasons or motivations. The "opinion" given is poorly researched, without merit andor written by a complete ****wit!

But apart from that, it's a good read....ish
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:35 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably, but he has some ears.... and and ego to match....

Oh,the image of the European Cup springs to mind there..yes he has identified many many new groups in Scotland

Last edited by Eva; Dec 2nd 2008 at 9:41 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:28 am
W10

Oh not moaning..I just appreciate universal free education system in Scotland.

My dad was proud...but more so for the family name...as I discovered a new and beautiful genus and species of tropical fish in PNG (Kiunga ballochi), which was named after me. The fish was lost to science..but was rediscovered:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/inde...d=19&Itemid=41

So my 15 minutes of fame (family name) will live on for an eternity...well until our sun expands, incinerate our planet and life and our civilisation perishes ( a bit like the star of Bethlehem in the short story (The Star) by Arthur C. Clarke)
That's a very cool story. If I could have your babies, then I would.

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:29 am
W10

Does this not apply to most commuter towns on the M25?

I wonder has the op/ed writer has ever read J.G. Ballard...
Absolutely...

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:30 am
W10

My friend offered me tickets to go see Glasvegas this week. He forgot I'm in Dubai :-(

Are you go to the Dub Pistols on Thursday?

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:30 am
A bubbly-jock...

...not a bad song for their debut album..I think they are referring to the Polmont borstal (or young offender's institution)...I used to fish for pike and perch in the canal that runs along the southern edge of the borstal !
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:09 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by W10
That's a very cool story. If I could have your babies, then I would.
Huh?...but you're a guy, n'est-ce pas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.