Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

And whats the worst job you've ever had?

And whats the worst job you've ever had?

Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:51 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And whats the worst job you've ever had?

worked in an abbatoir for pigs as a kid for school holidays.

my job was to grab the freshly stunned pig and hook him to the overhead rail by the feet to allow the next dude to cut his throat. Three of us in a small room, one 'stunner', one shackler (me) and one killer, plus one twitchy, angry pig. It took a week to get used to it, after that it became relatively normal.

until the day when the killer missed work and I got promoted to killer, the feeling of cutting the throat made me gag every time I did it (about 600 times a day), plus I was hosed in blood each time. Needless to say I returned to my college studies with new vigour.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:04 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel central

my job was to grab the freshly stunned pig and hook him to the overhead rail by the feet to allow the next dude to cut his throat. Three of us in a small room, one 'stunner', one shackler (me) and one killer, plus one twitchy, angry pig. It took a week to get used to it, after that it became relatively normal.

until the day when the killer missed work and I got promoted to killer, the feeling of cutting the throat made me gag every time I did it (about 600 times a day), plus I was hosed in blood each time. Needless to say I returned to my college studies with new vigour.
I think you win the first prize. I would not even have considered doing a job like that. Better to have been broke than slaughtering animals for a living.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lionheart
I think you win the first prize. I would not even have considered doing a job like that. Better to have been broke than slaughtering animals for a living.
well hmm i dont know, I come from a rural background so it wasnt totally new to me, the whole animal thing. Killing them was obviously but as an experience of what life could be like for me without education etc ..well it really was an eye opener for me.

plus my old man said I would not last a day, so I had to prove him wrong
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel central

'king Ell, you've got my vote for first prize.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Packing prawns into boxes of ice / gutting fish - part time when I was 15. Still can't stomach seafood.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

>>vomits<<
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
'king Ell, you've got my vote for first prize.
Looking back on it or describing it makes it sounds worse I think. but I was a stubborn git so I decided I was going to win out or not give in.

the staff were a complete crew of desparados as I think the nature of the job required.