British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   And whats the worst job you've ever had? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-worst-job-youve-ever-had-693747/)

kittycat1 Nov 16th 2010 12:18 pm

And whats the worst job you've ever had?

I've been lucky enough to have lots of character building jobs. The worst being a cooked duck factory. It was horrific, and I was vegetarian at the time! Eww the smell, the hot duck fat splattering you in the face- Yuck! Haven't been able to eat duck since! Vomit smilie

Oh God I'm now remembering the outfit I had to wear- the horror!

lionheart Nov 16th 2010 12:24 pm

Re: And whats the worst job you've ever had?

Waiting tables at a motorway service station, working on the ovens in a Mothers Pride bakery and making rubber soles in a shoe factory...difficult to choose.

Meow Nov 16th 2010 12:26 pm

The title sounds like a Derek & Clive sketch...

GuyinUAE Nov 16th 2010 12:30 pm

12 hours selling Kirby hoovers! Also my shortest, walked out!

Hello.Kitty Nov 16th 2010 12:35 pm

My worst one wasn't due to the job description, just the arrogant, misogynistic prick who ran the company and his arse-licking bunch of sheep that followed in his footsteps.

The most memorable wtf moment was when I joined his team of 1 other woman and 3 men... addressing the guys (he only ever spoke to the men): "oh, now that HK has joined Miss Other Woman, we'll have to reinstate Gay Thursdays and have some fun..." [cue chuckle from the lads] :ohmy::huh:

It was one of those jobs that you actually want to jack in after the first 2 days.

Bahtatboy Nov 16th 2010 12:37 pm

Pulling lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's bum.

Bahtatboy Nov 16th 2010 12:51 pm

Probably my first, fresh out of university and straight into a time-warp. Studied a combination of economics, law, material science and building technology at uni, only to be thrust into the loos in the Pru' buildings in Holborn to measure the wallpaper. And along with my desk with an inkwell, we were issued pencils which, when they needed changing, we had to present to the office HeadShit who'd examine them to determine if we could eke another couple of hours out of them before he'd give us a new one. How I lasted 8 months I don't know, especially after Pete the office Poof took every opportunity to corner me.

On the other hand, I'm probably now in the best job I've ever had, Jayne Mansfield notwithstanding.

commander Nov 16th 2010 12:55 pm

gutting Arbroath smokies.

Purdey Nov 16th 2010 1:00 pm

Student job from Manpower - 12 hour overnight shift on a plastic bottle production line. I had to separate the bottles (they came 6 to a unit) and put them in a box. Lasted, umm, 1 night :D

glynster Nov 16th 2010 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8985111)
I've been lucky enough to have lots of character building jobs. The worst being a cooked duck factory. It was horrific, and I was vegetarian at the time! Eww the smell, the hot duck fat splattering you in the face- Yuck! Haven't been able to eat duck since! Vomit smilie

Thats conjuring up a different picture ah em.... what outfit was you wearing?:o

I was a silver service waiter on the race courses for a couple of years, never had any training and had to serve vip's who never seemed to notice how bad I was.

I also worked on the champagne bar at royal ascot the year the new 20 pound notes came out, which was fun when the hoorays were pissed as they thought the twenties were fivers.So a fifteen pound bottle of house champagne was costing them 60 quid. The same year the bar had to be closed early as they were fighting and bashing each other with champagne bottles.
The same year the fella who played Brian Tilsley on corro had to be kicked out of the staff toilets with 2 very fit fillies all were nearly undressed.

Blue Cat Nov 16th 2010 1:26 pm

worked for a Lawyer for about a month, hated it with a passion :(

Ethos83 Nov 16th 2010 1:29 pm

Shoveling horse shit. Spent several summers working at a horse farm and this wasn't in merry ol' Englande but in hot, hot, hot USA.

Not as bad but just as miserable was working at Valvona and Crolla in Edinburgh the winter after university. The people who ran the shop were anal arseholes.

MissDemeanor Nov 16th 2010 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8985111)

Walls ice-cream factory when I was 19. Freezing cold,white overalls and a hair net!I left after 3 weeks.Put me off ice-cream for years.

kittycat1 Nov 16th 2010 4:28 pm

The outfit was horrific, white disposable overalls, wellies ( before they became fashionable) white one, red hairnet with white grocers hat on top, red plastic apron, red plastic sleeves elasticated at the wrist and elbow and three layers of gloves, 2 thermal and one plastic- no face guard though! And whilst I was there they took their brochure pictures- bastards!

I also worked at Ascot ( doing a catwalk show) and hated leaving walking through the hoards of pissed toffs, really didn't enjoy that, but staying in the student digs they put you up in was fun! especially as I was finished by 3! Loved the Student bar prices!

Roadking Nov 16th 2010 5:40 pm

I had just qualified for the job I don't do and was working for a small engineering company; I had to assist in the tearing down of an incinerator chute while the rest of the plant was still working. Seriously bad; rats the size of dogs...and the fewkers were fast. Tried throwing welding rods at them but failed miserably.

Heat like hell, dust thicker than a carpet and all the real throw away shit of humanity falling on my head, no idea what we might find next as we pull all the jammed in crap from the chute before we could burn the plates from the frame. This was also about 40 feet up on a crappy little scaffold platform with three of us sharing the space.

...and having to do it at night so couldn't even go for a pint after work!

Still have nightmares. *shudders* smiley