Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Whats everyone doing for Christmas?

Whats everyone doing for Christmas?

Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats everyone doing for Christmas?

Originally Posted by commander
I loved my time there...where did you live?
I wanted to go to the Falklands but it is a nightmare to get to, and you have to fly with the Air Force.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:04 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I wanted to go to the Falklands but it is a nightmare to get to, and you have to fly with the Air Force.
You don't have to be in the RAF though. The tristar is a nightmare but you get a refuel stop at assension island

I think you can go on a cruise to the falklands and south georgia.

Now. South georgia is the most beautiful place I've been to
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to be in the RAF though. The tristar is a nightmare but you get a refuel stop at assension island

we were going to try and go before I had Mitten but it never happened, maybe one day we will get there, it is somewhere I would like to live believe it or not! I like the idea of it being small and isolated etc.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

I loved my time there...where did you live?
I was born in Port Stanley and the family home was No. 1 Kent Road!

Also spent some of my early years at Chartres farm where my mother was the cook for the farm owner.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

The air alternative is via Santiago, Chile which runs, I think once a week.

I have only been back twice since I left in '72. 1977 was difficult as the only way back was via Argentina, when they were trying to woo us! So I flew from London/New York/Buenos Aires/Commodoro Rividavia and finally to the Falklands by an Argentine Airforce F27!

In '94 I took the RAF trip via Ascension which was no problem.

Agree South Georgia is interesting. Had a 9 day job there in 1968! Went in some little American boat FS216 which had spent most of it's life in Asia and hadnt been back to USA since 1945! There was some interesting stuff going on in SG using atomic clocks doing experiments on confirming your exact location. The forerunner of GPS's!