Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing you've done....

What's the best thing you've done....

Old May 20th 2013, 11:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What's the best thing you've done....

Originally Posted by Meow
Why on earth would anyone ever want to be positive about anything? Why think of happy things, or events that made you feel good when you can be a miserly curmudgeon all the time and suck the joy out of the world.

Mental one - you're an expat Dementor, aren't you?
Why contribute to a discussion when you can just call a woman a vain twat for being proud of a personal achievement and sharing it when asked?
Old May 20th 2013, 11:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I am with you on that, I work professionally during my office hours but I really couldn't give a **** outside of that.
It sometimes hurts me in terms of advancement if I am not a typical red faced, stressed out panic merchant but the good guys I think (I hope) recognise results rather than bluster.
Trouble is, big companies aren't run by good guys.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Nice guys finish last.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Still ride local club events and the very odd national event when I get a chance but I would love to check out the desert stuff. Schedule permitting it will happen soon, also I wish they would bring the Dakar back to Africa. I would love to either do it or support some one doing it.
Get stuck in then mate. It's an amazing race, great terrain and a real family atmosphere unlike dakar we also don't try kill people but get as many to the end as we possibly can.
Speaking of dakar, I'm not so sure, knowing a good few folk who've done both the consensus is South America is better. Different yes but still almost impossible to finish just a lot more hospitable when the shit hits the fan which it's apt to do often on the dakar
Old May 20th 2013, 11:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Ever the pedant

Good at recognising who makes money rather than morally good, or wholesomely good or even professionally good for that matter.
Old May 20th 2013, 12:00 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Noel looks like he is going to twat you one.
Doesn't he always....
Old May 20th 2013, 12:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ever the pedant

Good at recognising who makes money rather than morally good, or wholesomely good or even professionally good for that matter.
Didn't mean to correct you, and I fully agree with your sentiment. Just that I've seen at first hand awful decisions taken by senior managers of large companies who fail to recognise the talent below them. Smaller companies--where senior managers have a very direct interest in the well-being of the company--tend to have a much more balanced view and can see through the bluster.
Old May 20th 2013, 12:14 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't mean to correct you, and I fully agree with your sentiment. Just that I've seen at first hand awful decisions taken by senior managers of large companies who fail to recognise the talent below them. Smaller companies--where senior managers have a very direct interest in the well-being of the company--tend to have a much more balanced view and can see through the bluster.
Yeah I was just yanking your chain, awful decisions abound where I am but it's still (grudgingly sometimes) recognised who can make things happen despite nepotism, empire building, petty feuds, decade long grudges, sheer incompetence and internal politics. All the fun stuff.

One of my tenders has just been awarded to us and I got sent a mail last night to say well done, the guy mentioned that he sent it as soon as possible before all the non-participants started back slapping and congratulating each other.
Old May 20th 2013, 12:15 pm
Hit 16's

Yeah I was just yanking your chain, awful decisions abound where I am but it's still (grudgingly sometimes) recognised who can make things happen despite nepotism, empire building, petty feuds, decade long grudges, sheer incompetence and internal politics. All the fun stuff.

One of my tenders has just been awarded to us and I got sent a mail last night to say well done, the guy mentioned that he sent it as soon as possible before all the non-participants started back slapping and congratulating each other.
Yanker
Old May 20th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why contribute to a discussion when you can just call a woman a vain twat for being proud of a personal achievement and sharing it when asked?
I am hugely self-centered ask BE76

...probably also a bit of a twat
Old May 20th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing my lads in Dubai achieve the highest standards of safety I have seen in our company or indeed our industry anywhere

From zero to outstanding in 3-4 years and we have people come to us from all arounds the world to see how we did it now. Their pride in the job is something else, I just hope they continue to get the support they deserve
Old May 20th 2013, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by co durham boy
When i left Dubai some years ago a lot of my employees went back to their home countries due to the downturn . One guy who had been with me a lot of years was unable to join me here in Qatar for health reasons so he was retiring back to India full time .

Money was tight for him and his family and i anonymously paid for his son to complete his engineering degree back in India . He and his family don't know where the funds came from and never will .

His son is now a section engineer on a high rise project in Hydrabad and he sends me regular updates on how he and the family are getting on .

It wasn't a massive amount of money for me but it has transformed a lot of peoples lives and i believe it was a good thing to do .
Wow, what a lovely thing to do for somebody. Me, well I've not put somebody through a degree but every time I order KFC my security guard gets one too - with a 25 dhs minimum spend for home delivery we both have twister or zinger meals!! (And it still works out cheaper than one meal back home in the UK!!!)