British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What's the best thing you've done.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-best-thing-youve-done-797557/)

scrubbedexpat141 May 20th 2013 7:00 am

What's the best thing you've done....

...in your career so far?

I was asked this the other day and came up with a few things I've been quite proud of...but they were generally quite shit to everyone else, the one I am really chuffed with is (still quite shit to most people, but good for me);

I recently staffed the core teams on two major projects in a new country (India). It's the best thing I've done because nobody else wanted to try and do it, because it's not a desirable location to most, the salaries were touch and go etc etc. Also, because the guys that have gone are ****ing excellent, genuinely. Finally; because the work I put in was well worth it and it all lands in this month's salary! :thumbsup:

So, esteemed members of the bored, with your lengthy careers and unquestionable successes....what are you most proud of in your career?

Meow May 20th 2013 7:18 am

Re: What's the best thing you've done....

Most proud of? Bit boring that although I have been quite proud of the real help I have given people over the years. No, my work is not about flogging savings plans before I get the usual predictable and very wrong comments. :zzz:

I have had some very enjoyable times and met some interesting people in some unusual places. Partying with rock and pop stars, all in the line of work, was fun.

mentalist May 20th 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10715877)
So, esteemed members of the bored, with your lengthy careers and unquestionable successes....what are you most proud of in your career?

Some of us don't like to blow our own trumpets.

Theseus May 20th 2013 7:25 am

The best thing i've done professionally...

In my last job i was instrumental in a massive culture change in how our construction sites dealt with safety. I was on the leadership team and came up with great ideas which were adopted by the whole company, and also was a trainer, a trainer trainer and a supervisor trainer, all while continuing in my normal role as a construction manager. The best thing about it was seeing the difference it made to peoples working lives. Happy friendly people equals a happy friendly and safe work site.

A bit sad i know but i'm massively proud of what we did there.

Kix May 20th 2013 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10715894)

Some of us can't blow a trumpet.

Theseus May 20th 2013 7:26 am

There's nothing wrong in being proud of achieving something you miserable shit. :(

Blue Cat May 20th 2013 7:31 am

My career is hardly worth mentioning compared to some of you but I am proud of the years I worked in the NHS before coming to the UAE. I worked as a secretary to some leading Physicians and was heavily involved with an IVF Unit at one point. Worthy but draining. These days I am happy to talk about colour with anyone and everyone who wants to listen :)

Meow May 20th 2013 7:32 am

Or have never done anything of interest...

scrubbedexpat141 May 20th 2013 7:32 am

Sometimes I feel sorry for the stick you get. Most of the time I wonder how you manage to get out of bed everyday when your existence is so miserable?

You must be proud of something / things you've done in your career?

Kix May 20th 2013 7:34 am

(You're going to hate me).

You know those loyalty cards you have for Tescos and Sainsburys? Well way back in around 2000 I approached Sainsburys marketing department and suggested that they use all the information they have to specifically market new products to their users.

For example, they wanted to sell pet insurance, I suggested that they could drill into their database using a (very expensive) knowledge management software tool and only pull out those people who bought premium dog food on a regular basis. This was the trial we carried out and the success was amazing, 20% return on enquiries/people wanting quotes, from an initial 0.1% return on a "scattergun" approach.

So you have/had me to blame for all those direct marketing crap you get from Sainsburys. Tescos followed suit a few months later.

Sorry

Meow May 20th 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10715910)
Sometimes I feel sorry for the stick you get. Most of the time I wonder how you manage to get out of bed everyday when your existence is so miserable?

You must be proud of something / things you've done in your career?

And if not then it's time to make some changes in your life.

What's the point if all anyone does is complains, count pennies and look for the negatives in everything?

:rolleyes:

Blue Cat May 20th 2013 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10715917)

What's the point if all anyone does is complains, count pennies and look for the negatives in everything?

karma sent :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 May 20th 2013 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10715916)
(You're going to hate me).

You know those loyalty cards you have for Tescos and Sainsburys? Well way back in around 2000 I approached Sainsburys marketing department and suggested that they use all the information they have to specifically market new products to their users.

For example, they wanted to sell pet insurance, I suggested that they could drill into their database using a (very expensive) knowledge management software tool and only pull out those people who bought premium dog food on a regular basis. This was the trial we carried out and the success was amazing, 20% return on enquiries/people wanting quotes, from an initial 0.1% return on a "scattergun" approach.

So you have/had me to blame for all those direct marketing crap you get from Sainsburys. Tescos followed suit a few months later.

Sorry

Not being rude, but is that not just really simple? How can a business like Sainsbury's not already think in a targeted manner?

That's like me needing a Project Manager and just spraying everyone with an email asking for one....instead of just emailing PM's.....bizarre.

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10715917)

It's almost soul-destroying to understand where Mentalhead gets enjoyment in life from. There must be something.

britexpat76 May 20th 2013 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10715897)
There's nothing wrong in being proud of achieving something you miserable shit. :(

:rofl::rofl:

I was the youngest Materials Engineer for Balfour Beatty at 20 Years old looking after a £32m Earthworks contract on the largest civils job at the time (M1-A1 Link Road)

Left to stay in Leeds went into Recruitment recruiting Engineers and within 2 years had the most profitable branch in the Pertemps network of 142 offices.

I peaked in my early/mid 20's when my body worked on powder and wine. :(

Kix May 20th 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10715920)
Not being rude, but is that not just really simple? How can a business like Sainsbury's not already think in a targeted manner?

That's like me needing a Project Manager and just spraying everyone with an email asking for one....instead of just emailing PM's.....bizarre.

It's almost soul-destroying to understand where Mentalhead gets enjoyment in life from. There must be something.

Not in 2000 it wasn't mate, there wasn't the software available to go through the billions of transactions done on a monthly basis, the databases were enormous and the processing power was not adequate enough for the job. Also this was proper bleeding edge technology, something we take for granted now.