what would you do...

Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:17 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what would you do...

Originally Posted by DesertOcean
I'm lost here, please fill me in why you would definitely pay if they are Emirati
emrati family with little or no wasta.....major headache and hassles that could last months you WILL end up buying phone regardless

emirati family with wasta....worst case, do not pass go, kid out of school, dad out of job, family deportation.

conclusion, emirati family, just buy the damn phone it will be easier all round
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

lovely...just amazing what some people will do for money
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:51 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
ok...this is what happened...
my son was playing hockey during break time at school...a friend of his did a bit of a 'golf style' movement and hit my son on his arm, so my son lashed out a bit with his stick (is that what it's called?) and hit his friend on his leg...but, this boy had his phone in his trouser pocket and it got damaged...
now, if it had been the other way round, and my sons phone got damaged, I would have told him a) he's not allowed to bring his phone into school and if he did he should have kept it in his locker and b) I would have said let it be a lesson, how stupid are you to play hockey with your phone on you...I would have not replaced his phone, he would have to save up for it.
Unfortunately the parents of this other boy are of the opinion that my son (or we, as his parents) should pay for a new phone...
Now there is no way in the whole world that I would ever ask for that if it had been my sons phone, so I informed the school that I am not willing to pay. It was an accident, a bit of rough teenage boys stuff, it all wasn't done on purpose and that's the end of it as far as I am concerned. Had my son done it on purpose it would have been another matter.

just wondering what other people think....
You are in Dubai correct?

Any hints at which school?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

this isn't what you want to hear, but i would have offered to buy a new phone...i would just feel bad that my kid did it, whatever the wrongs of the other kid having it there when he shouldn't...but then you know what a goodie two shoes i am...

MM, xx
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
this isn't what you want to hear, but i would have offered to buy a new phone...i would just feel bad that my kid did it, whatever the wrongs of the other kid having it there when he shouldn't...but then you know what a goodie two shoes i am...

MM, xx
Don't you have any old phones sitting in a drawer somewhere?

Or perhaps you could pop into one of those mobile phone recycling stations and pick one for this kid.

; )
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:02 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
You are in Dubai correct?

Any hints at which school?
yeah, am in Dubai...it's not an Arab/Emirati family...
no hints, just an international school...
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, am in Dubai...it's not an Arab/Emirati family...
no hints, just an international school...
is their a policy about mobile phones in school? I know in some schools phones are forbidden.

I wouldn't pay
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:06 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
goodie two shoes...you...did someone actually hack the MM account?

yeah, but these are teenagers, 14, 15 year old guys...not little people that don't know what's happening around them...think that makes a difference...
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:12 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
is their a policy about mobile phones in school? I know in some schools phones are forbidden.

I wouldn't pay
yes, they are not allowed during schooltime and should be kept in their lockers...but of course 'everybody' still walk around with them...
my sons phones have been confiscated a million times...as a parent you are supposed to come to school after a week or whatever the period is and pick it up...I have told school and the boys there is no way I am doing that...let them sort it out themselves, and of course they always get their phones back in the end.
I am ok with them having phones, I am not going to strip search them before they go to school to see if they are taking it...they know the rules, they take a risk of having the phone in class, they pay for it themselves if they get found out, simple as that.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yes, they are not allowed during schooltime and should be kept in their lockers...but of course 'everybody' still walk around with them...
my sons phones have been confiscated a million times...as a parent you are supposed to come to school after a week or whatever the period is and pick it up...I have told school and the boys there is no way I am doing that...let them sort it out themselves, and of course they always get their phones back in the end.
I am ok with them having phones, I am not going to strip search them before they go to school to see if they are taking it...they know the rules, they take a risk of having the phone in class, they pay for it themselves if they get found out, simple as that.
there you go, the kid broke the rules, it's the schools fault
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
emrati family with little or no wasta.....major headache and hassles that could last months you WILL end up buying phone regardless

emirati family with wasta....worst case, do not pass go, kid out of school, dad out of job, family deportation.

conclusion, emirati family, just buy the damn phone it will be easier all round
Garbage - all the more reason to resist. The Emiratis must realise that they cannot treat expats like crap.

My suggestion? Go round to the family house and confront the parents - they'll back down...............
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:12 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by The Dean
Garbage - all the more reason to resist. The Emiratis must realise that they cannot treat expats like crap.

My suggestion? Go round to the family house and confront the parents - they'll back down...............
nevermind...it's not an Emirati family, that's why I asked the question on here cause I sometimes think that 'we' Dutch are a bit more like oh, it's your own fault so tough shit, in their attitude, while 'the British' are more like oh dear, am sooo sorry what can I do to make it up to you....was wondering if it was a cultural thing so to speak and that my Dutch mindset was miles away from what others think...
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

nevermind...it's not an Emirati family, that's why I asked the question on here cause I sometimes think that 'we' Dutch are a bit more like oh, it's your own fault so tough shit, in their attitude, while 'the British' are more like oh dear, am sooo sorry what can I do to make it up to you....was wondering if it was a cultural thing so to speak and that my Dutch mindset was miles away from what others think...
So what do you think? Go and confront them?

I would.................
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:06 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's about right...as MM said (and Judge Judy would say)...get a new phone as reparation. All comes down to responsibility for one's behaviour and consequences when things go awry.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:31 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by MacScot
Yep, that's about right...as MM said (and Judge Judy would say)...get a new phone as reparation. All comes down to responsibility for one's behaviour and consequences when things go awry.
errr...no
he had his phone on him during school hours - not allowed
he had his phone on him during school hours whilst playing hockey - pretty stupid. By giving him a nice new phone, he would be rewarded for his behaviour and the consequences, that would be completely wrong in my opinion.
I mean, when you go to Wild Wadi and jump into the pool with your phone in your pocket and it breaks, do you go and ask for them to get you a new one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.