Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What are we coming to...

What are we coming to...

Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are we coming to...

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes owners have rules and rights but to ban a section of the population it just ridiculous, but us talking about it endlessly sadly isn't going to change a thing.
The issue is personal property rights too...If labourers are banned from a public place, roads and parks etc, then yes, that is in the true sense a discrimination...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I'm going to Church now...Will muse upon this later in the day...

Cheerio...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:37 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
The list can go on and on, my friend...
My argument is fundamental: the whole world we live in is flawed, there is a perception of personal value and for everyone it is ok for one person be getting AED30K a month while another is getting AED500 a month...That is also some sort of discrimination that people recognize as value...
You're right that the world is flawed, But no way is it OK. I don't feel comfortable with it at all. I was just talking with my colleague the other day - another Brit - about the "office boy" who takes a month to earn what we earn in about 4 or 5 hours. He is from Nepal, works 15 hours a day, 6 and a half days a week, and is one of the happiest, funniest, most easy-going blokes you could meet. His attitude shames me.

On the other hand you have to consider it in relative terms. To him, 1000 Riyals/Dirhams is a lot of money. To us, it's the cost of a shopping trip and a night out. Is this our fault? Is the state of the world OUR fault? I thank my lucky stars that I was born in the UK and all we can really do is try and influence those with the power to change things for the better.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do have to wonder how many of us would gladly see yobs and louts banned from malls, town centres and public transportation back in Britain?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
You're right that the world is flawed, But no way is it OK. I don't feel comfortable with it at all. I was just talking with my colleague the other day - another Brit - about the "office boy" who takes a month to earn what we earn in about 4 or 5 hours. He is from Nepal, works 15 hours a day, 6 and a half days a week, and is one of the happiest, funniest, most easy-going blokes you could meet. His attitude shames me.

On the other hand you have to consider it in relative terms. To him, 1000 Riyals/Dirhams is a lot of money. To us, it's the cost of a shopping trip and a night out. Is this our fault? Is the state of the world OUR fault? I thank my lucky stars that I was born in the UK and all we can really do is try and influence those with the power to change things for the better.
agree with you there LJ
things are pretty tight for us here now since I had to take a new job with a big pay cut but have just sent a little cash to my wife's aunt back in her home country who is not able to get a job at the moment. for us its a small manageable amount but for my wife's aunt and her son it makes a huge difference. just wish we had been in the position to send her a bit more.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I see...Well, the system won't allow the lower strata to earn more than they are now, imagine your shawarma to cost AED50 if the office boys and lower group of money earners started getting 3-4-5 times what they are getting today...

The world we live in is flawed and unfair...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I see...Well, the system won't allow the lower strata to earn more than they are now, imagine your shawarma to cost AED50 if the office boys and lower group of money earners started getting 3-4-5 times what they are getting today...

the agency my maid comes from are right royally wripping her off, she gets paid 1200 a month, she has to give them back 600 a month for her visa and she pays 700 a month for her accomodation (they failed to give her any).

Disgusting.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the agency my maid comes from are right royally wripping her off, she gets paid 1200 a month, she has to give them back 600 a month for her visa and she pays 700 a month for her accomodation (they failed to give her any).

Disgusting.
So she gets paid -100 a month???
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

So she gets paid -100 a month???
yes, disgusting isn't it, she relies on tips from her clients to keep her going. Today she walked from Jumeirah to our place, she was too ashamed to ask me to collect her, I got the car out and found her nearly dying of heat exhaustion to get to us to work so she can pay her rent otherwise she would be on the street.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes, disgusting isn't it, she relies on tips from her clients to keep her going. Today she walked from Jumeirah to our place, she was too ashamed to ask me to collect her, I got the car out and found her nearly dying of heat exhaustion to get to us to work so she can pay her rent otherwise she would be on the street.
I see...As much as I feel sorry for people in similar situations, but, why is she not looking for an alternative and just get out of the predicament that she is in???
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:39 pm
Concierge

I see...As much as I feel sorry for people in similar situations, but, why is she not looking for an alternative and just get out of the predicament that she is in???
she is trust me, she would rather work for a family than an Agency but seeing as half of Dubai are leaving they aren't looking for Maids. I am going to see if I can get her something in the Salon.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

she is trust me, she would rather work for a family than an Agency but seeing as half of Dubai are leaving they aren't looking for Maids. I am going to see if I can get her something in the Salon.
Lovely...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:15 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

But that simple increment isn't really valid, is it? You just have to go to the 5 Star hotels in the region to see it at work. They charge 5 star prices but pay their staff peanuts. Someone, somewhere is creaming off an even more juicy fat profit.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But that simple increment isn't really valid, is it? You just have to go to the 5 Star hotels in the region to see it at work. They charge 5 star prices but pay their staff peanuts. Someone, somewhere is creaming off an even more juicy fat profit.
Yes...Money makes the world go round...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:29 pm
Excess Baggage

Yes...Money makes the world go round...
I'm not sure. It could be a giant hamster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.