Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What are we coming to...

What are we coming to...

Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are we coming to...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
but how would you do that...you don't mix in the same circles so it's not like it would happen...but i don't see any reason to exclude them from situations where they are in the same "space"...ie in the mall...

bloody hell if this was in the uk the press would have had a field day...

MM, xx
I get your point, but, since we are talking about equality and reciprocity between people from all walks of life, would you go to a mall which is frequented only by labourers (Grand Shopping Mall for example)???

You are talking about not mixing in same circles, so, you wouldn't want a labourer to be mixed in your circles...
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Would both of you be happy to share a cab with a labourer, or go into a toilet which is used by a labourer, or, go to McDonalds and sit down and have lunch with a labourer???

I know I wouldn't and i am pretty sure none of you would...

Hence I don't see why we get upset and angry at such a subject...

The issue is labourers coming into shopping malls, would we go to a labourer's shopping mall and hang around there, Grand Shopping Mall in Al Quoz is an example, without running out of there within 3 minutes???

I don't think so...
They can't afford cabs or probably even lunch at McDonalds.

I have eaten in restaurants frequented by them in Doha and Dubai, however. The fact that in general people of different nationalities and backgrounds stick together is beside the point here. This is bare-faced, ugly discrimination. And I'll be honest, I do feel a little bit guilty and responsible because I'm here living amongst it all.
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

but how would you do that...you don't mix in the same circles so it's not like it would happen...but i don't see any reason to exclude them from situations where they are in the same "space"...ie in the mall...

bloody hell if this was in the uk the press would have had a field day...

MM, xx
I have seen labourers being stopped from getting into IBN, I of course made a scene and they were allowed in.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

got to admit the labourers were a pain in the arse in carrefour on Fridays but this is going a bit far!

they are no different here though. Mrs Inse was being pestered by a couple in the park yesterday and felt so uncomfortable she packed up and moved! :curse:
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
They can't afford cabs or probably even lunch at McDonalds.

I have eaten in restaurants frequented by them in Doha and Dubai, however. The fact that in general people of different nationalities and backgrounds stick together is beside the point here. This is bare-faced, ugly discrimination. And I'll be honest, I do feel a little bit guilty and responsible because I'm here living amongst it all.
Those were just examples...

Yes, this is discrimination, but, the way I see it, we all have our own personal levels of discrimination too...You are a QS, so naturally you have labourers in your company, would you and all the white collar people agree to open your toilets for the blue collar people to use, or better yet, close off all your toilets and cafeterias and everyone use the same toilets/cafeterias/facilities and be treated equal? No, I don't think so...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I get your point, but, since we are talking about equality and reciprocity between people from all walks of life, would you go to a mall which is frequented only by labourers (Grand Shopping Mall for example)???

You are talking about not mixing in same circles, so, you wouldn't want a labourer to be mixed in your circles...
i don't even know where grand shopping mall is, but i don't care whether there are labourers in the shopping malls i go to, why would i...

and it's not a case of wanting or not wanting them to mix in my circle, just a statement of fact...

MM, xx
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I have seen labourers being stopped from getting into IBN, I of course made a scene and they were allowed in.
Why didnt you follow that up by inviting them to lunch and sit down with you...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i don't even know where grand shopping mall is, but i don't care whether there are labourers in the shopping malls i go to, why would i...

and it's not a case of wanting or not wanting them to mix in my circle, just a statement of fact...

MM, xx
MM, is your argument based on the fact that all men are created equal and should be treated equally???
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is discrimination, but, the way I see it, we all have our own personal levels of discrimination too...You are a QS, so naturally you have labourers in your company, would you and all the white collar people agree to open your toilets for the blue collar people to use, or better yet, close off all your toilets and cafeterias and everyone use the same toilets/cafeterias/facilities and be treated equal? No, I don't think so...
I fully understand what you are saying Conf but I think MM is right in what she says about paths very rarely cross with the labourer's anyway. Personally it disgusts me the way that these men are treated and if letting them into a Mall makes their day a bit brighter then I see no harm in it whatsoever, they built the damn things!!!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

MM, is your argument based on the fact that all men are created equal and should be treated equally???
no...

MM, xx
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I fully understand what you are saying Conf but I think MM is right in what she says about paths very rarely cross with the labourer's anyway. Personally it disgusts me the way that these men are treated and if letting them into a Mall makes their day a bit brighter then I see no harm in it whatsoever, they built the damn things!!!
Yes, they built the damn things, but who is the owner of the mall??? The mall is a private property, and owners have their rights too...
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't make the rules here and wouldn't be able to change them if I tried. In the UK when I worked on sites I shared facilities with the site labourers and had no problems with it. If it was suggested that there would be separate facilities we'd get laughed out of town.

But while we're on about canteens...the labour camp canteen on the airport site is miles better than the main office canteen.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no...

MM, xx
Ok...
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:08 am
Concierge

Yes, they built the damn things, but who is the owner of the mall??? The mall is a private property, and owners have their rights too...
yes owners have rules and rights but to ban a section of the population it just ridiculous, but us talking about it endlessly sadly isn't going to change a thing.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I don't make the rules here and wouldn't be able to change them if I tried. In the UK when I worked on sites I shared facilities with the site labourers and had no problems with it. If it was suggested that there would be separate facilities we'd get laughed out of town.

But while we're on about canteens...the labour camp canteen on the airport site is miles better than the main office canteen.
The list can go on and on, my friend...
My argument is fundamental: the whole world we live in is flawed, there is a perception of personal value and for everyone it is ok for one person be getting AED30K a month while another is getting AED500 a month...That is also some sort of discrimination that people recognize as value...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.