Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What don't I understand?

What don't I understand?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default What don't I understand?

Making money with licenseplates?

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/tr...dh26m-1.596589
Old Mar 14th 2010, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What don't I understand?

Originally Posted by Euc-
I don't understand why two cars would have the same license plate, taxi or otherwise... let alone 6,591 cases of the same.

However it seems entirely intentional, and vaguely like some twisted welfare scheme:

The government allots commercial number plates to Emiratis with low or fixed income and then companies which use these numbers have to pay them their share as decided by the government.
Does this mean that cabbies are driving for two? Yikes.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I'd say it means the Emiratis own these number plates, and get paid by the taxi companies that use them.

It's another tax on expats going into the pockets of the locals - in this case targeted at the less wealthy of them.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:28 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the Taxi plate allows someone to operate a taxi as a commercial enterprise. So the government issues these plates to low income Emiratis, unfortunately they can't be arsed to actually work so they lease them to the taxi companies.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for the day. Teach him to fish and he'll sell the fishing rights to someone else and live off the proceeds.