Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What to do ? / Who influenced your musical taste ?

What to do ? / Who influenced your musical taste ?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:03 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What to do ? / Who influenced your musical taste ?

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Am intrigued to find out who you state was trance, dance, rave etc in the late 70's... Just when do you think the Chicago sound moved over?? How early were you listening to Kraftwerk?
I was using the word Techno to describe any music that made use of technology developed as a result of increasing sophistication in electronics and recording devices. The earliest I can think of would be Pierre Schaeffer (though no doubt others will be able to name a few more experimentalists from the 1940s).

<Out of time>
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:07 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do ? / Who influenced your musical taste ?

Originally Posted by BangleMan
When I was growing up my Dad was into Paul McCartney and Wings, Crosby Stills & Nash, George Harrison etc, so grew up with that kind of music as a backdrop....

I went through a 'SoulBoy' thing in the 80's listening to the likes of Luther Vandross, Change, Fat Larry's Band etc etc, but soon turned back to more rockier stuff in my late teens, and have preferred that stuff ever since

Im brainwashing my kids into the same kind of music, but my 13 year old son is really trying to annoy me, and is intent on listening to Kanye West, Chris Brown, NeYo, and all that other shite.....that sounds as if the same record is on for the entire 45min CD, and insists on listening to Virgin when visiting me in Dubai

What do I do to make him see the errors of his ways and dump the 'RnB shite ?

And, who / what artist influenced your musical tastes ?
I hate all that stuff your kid listens to, proper hate it,

my dad loved the beatles and my mam Elvis, my dad was into jimmy hendrix, the kinks and all that, and my mam a lot of joan baez and protest songs and all that sort of stuff, plus the stones as well,

so not bad growing up with all of that really, althoguh I had to listen to radio 2 every morning for years before school and before Terry Wogan there really was a list of appalling DJs on.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:09 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I hate all that stuff your kid listens to, proper hate it,

my dad loved the beatles and my mam Elvis, my dad was into jimmy hendrix, the kinks and all that, and my mam a lot of joan baez and protest songs and all that sort of stuff, plus the stones as well,

so not bad growing up with all of that really, althoguh I had to listen to radio 2 every morning for years before school and before Terry Wogan there really was a list of appalling DJs on.
Dave Lee Travis?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:10 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
If you tell your boy that you absolutely adore Kanye West, he will soon lose interest. It's a rebellion stage we all go through. My elderly aunt used to say how much she enjoyed my Black Sabbath albums...they soon went in the bin.
yeha I was into thrash metal as a teenager, metallica, anthrax, testament, megadeth, slayer etc etc - then got into indie at 16, 17, mondays, stone roses, inspiral carpets etc - then into the rave and house scene big time, warehouse parties,

we used to go to indie nights on a friday and stay up all night, sleep til 5 or 6, have some food then go raving til midday the next day, then sleep til tea time and then chill and then bed again,

man alive, for the best part of 5 or 6 years I was a total mess every single monday morning, yet still held down jobs.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:10 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
I´m an old 'rude boy' hence the ska infatuation, that said I always enjoyed other more OTT bands like Prodigy or Fad Gadget as well.
aye I love all the ska stuff, specials, the beat etc - I once played football with madness, one of my finest hours ever, I was about 8 - they are to this day still my favourite band of all time.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:12 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by commander
My musical tastes were influenced by my schoolmates and the whole scottish music scene at the time, late 80's.

The time of the superb McEwans and tennants lager adverts. We had hipsway, the blue nile, river detectives, love and money, big dish, KMO, Hue and Cry and many more.

Left school and musical taste in the early 90's moved onto the rave/house scene hardcore uproar etc. Used to go up to cream in Liverpool most weekends.

Then I guess I moved into the madchester scene albeit when it was nearly over I.e oasis, stone roses.

But now funnily enough I listen to a lot of northside, jesus jones, inspiral carpets

Guess I've not really been influenced by anyone persay, but just the circumstances I have found myself in.

Christ the old man still listens to jimmy shand fae auchtermuchty
yeah I still listen to loads of old indie stuff like you mentioned, got loads of old compilations with all that on, brilliant stuff.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:13 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by lionheart
Dave Lee Travis?
Radio 2 man.

Derek Jarman, or Jacoby or summat, he was horrific, had the worst voice that there ever was.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:28 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

man alive, for the best part of 5 or 6 years I was a total mess every single monday morning, yet still held down jobs.
Sounds very familiar
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:34 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Bison
Sounds very familiar
have you been on that site yet mate? i just downloaded 5 rezerection sets from 1993, Carl Cox and others, it's a proper goldmine on there, plus a ton of annie mac mashups from her radio show, a load of oakenfold mixes, rob da bank mixes, a load of sasha and digweed, billy nasty, tony de vit....etc etc

www.tmb.dj
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:35 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Bison
Sounds very familiar
my whole top drawer at work was full of headache tablets, berocca, alka seltzers etc...I went to work after no sleep at all a few times and christ knows how I got through the day.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:11 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

have you been on that site yet mate? i just downloaded 5 rezerection sets from 1993, Carl Cox and others, it's a proper goldmine on there, plus a ton of annie mac mashups from her radio show, a load of oakenfold mixes, rob da bank mixes, a load of sasha and digweed, billy nasty, tony de vit....etc etc

www.tmb.dj
I haven't yet, I will do though, but downloads are on hold, my laptop memory is at full capacity, me needs an external hard drive!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

John Peel - under the covers late at night with the tranny ( some clever shite will edit that no doubt )

ma and pa were never really into music which I suppose was good because I was left to follow my own path

my lads aren't so lucky, the eldest was blasting out Joy Division the other day and filled his mp3 player with Depeche Mode
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BangleMan
When I was growing up my Dad was into Paul McCartney and Wings, Crosby Stills & Nash, George Harrison etc, so grew up with that kind of music as a backdrop....

I went through a 'SoulBoy' thing in the 80's listening to the likes of Luther Vandross, Change, Fat Larry's Band etc etc, but soon turned back to more rockier stuff in my late teens, and have preferred that stuff ever since

Im brainwashing my kids into the same kind of music, but my 13 year old son is really trying to annoy me, and is intent on listening to Kanye West, Chris Brown, NeYo, and all that other shite.....that sounds as if the same record is on for the entire 45min CD, and insists on listening to Virgin when visiting me in Dubai

What do I do to make him see the errors of his ways and dump the 'RnB shite ?

And, who / what artist influenced your musical tastes ?
old get...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:09 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

One of the businesses my Dad owned was a small record shop in the early 80s so I grew up listening to a lot of different things alongside what was popular during the 80s and 90s. Everything from BB King to Hendrix and Ella Fitzegerald to Beethoven, Iron Maiden to the Indigo Girls and everything in between.

I have an extremely diverse taste in music (much like my taste in women and beer ) but I still can't stand "RnB"...perhaps because it's shite.

N.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I was using the word Techno to describe any music that made use of technology developed as a result of increasing sophistication in electronics and recording devices. The earliest I can think of would be Pierre Schaeffer (though no doubt others will be able to name a few more experimentalists from the 1940s).

<Out of time>
Technological music has been made since technology has been used

Kraftwerk were muchos good at this and in terms of Techno music they poioneered the sounds and techniques used by the pioneers of Techno Music a la Derrick May, Juan Aitkins, Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, (Detroit style) and Orbital,, Underworld, Carl Cox, Billy Nasty etc, who i used to listen to a lot in my yoof... Big club nights and raves in Landan Town

I was/am also big into Roses, Mondays, Oasis, Libertines, Charleys, New Order, The Who, Beatles... Seemed to get into DnB as I got a bit older too...