British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What to do ? / Who influenced your musical taste ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-do-who-influenced-your-musical-taste-593130/)

BangleMan Feb 22nd 2009 9:54 am

What to do ? / Who influenced your musical taste ?

When I was growing up my Dad was into Paul McCartney and Wings, Crosby Stills & Nash, George Harrison etc, so grew up with that kind of music as a backdrop....

I went through a 'SoulBoy' thing in the 80's listening to the likes of Luther Vandross, Change, Fat Larry's Band etc etc, but soon turned back to more rockier stuff in my late teens, and have preferred that stuff ever since

Im brainwashing my kids into the same kind of music, but my 13 year old son is really trying to annoy me, and is intent on listening to Kanye West, Chris Brown, NeYo, and all that other shite.....that sounds as if the same record is on for the entire 45min CD, and insists on listening to Virgin when visiting me in Dubai

What do I do to make him see the errors of his ways and dump the 'RnB shite ?

And, who / what artist influenced your musical tastes ?

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 10:01 am

Re: What to do ? / Who influenced your musical taste ?

Im brainwashing my kids into the same kind of music, but my 13 year old son is really trying to annoy me, and is intent on listening to Kanye West, Chris Brown, NeYo, and all that other shite.....that sounds as if the same record is on for the entire 45min CD, and insists on listening to Virgin when visiting me in Dubai

What do I do to make him see the errors of his ways and dump the 'RnB shite ?

And, who / what artist influenced your musical tastes ?
Just let him work it out for himself, I used to hate everything but Rave music until I was about 14, then I started getting into 80's etc, I like all sorts I have a very varied taste, anything from Jeff Wayne's War of The Worlds to Random Concept Live Drum & Bass recorded at raves.

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 10:38 am

I've always liked the various schools of techno music (Trance, Dance, Rave, Chilled etc.), my dad had loads from the late 70's and early 80's.

IMO the early 90's where a time of great change, people wanted music and drugs to suit a new age. The greed of 80's pop may have generated big revenue for record companies but in the end there was little interesting or ground breaking being produced. Rave came along, it didn't make sense logically but was embraced by a youth just looking for fun and new experiences. It was aggressive, loud and usually in a field with people off their heads...fantastic stuff :rofl:.

With the advent of burget airlines by the 90's people could go to Ibiza etc. Initially this new boom fostered amazing tallents, European artists that previously had had niche markets suddenly found a market. This really only lasted a few years though as soon they too came to sound as generic as the 80's pop tunes they had replaced.

Record companies started to push pop hard through reality TV and boybands hoping for more Spice girls etc. They couldn't really find bands to replace the likes of Oasis because record sales where hit or miss rather than providing constant streams of revenue. Individual bands tended to be short lived however and few survived once their first album had been released. Later similar setups would spawn pop idol etc. It was at this time I discovered classic rock like Hendrix and Cream.

Already though a new set of artists where appearing in a wave that would change the now niche but global electronic music following and persist...well to this day really. Moby was the first but others followed as the century turned. It's been more of a slow burn than a sudden burst however.

Rap and more recently R&B did gain some ground but this appears to already by dying on their feet. Initially artists could expect several hits but now they seem to be averaging 3 top 20's in a week with album sales being weak as most of the rest of the albums are just filler.

After quite an exodus we have seen American pop and rock bands start to produce some half decent tunes :thumbup:.

MataHari Feb 22nd 2009 10:40 am

why does it read like something you didn't write yourself...

BangleMan Feb 22nd 2009 10:45 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7310087)

Who you talking to ?.....they were all my own words..

MataHari Feb 22nd 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7310096)
Who you talking to ?.....they were all my own words..

charisthingy...just didn't want to quote that whole piece...

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7310087)

I've had a few drinks I admit but it's all my work.

What is so "different" about it?

MataHari Feb 22nd 2009 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7310116)
I've had a few drinks I admit but it's all my work.

What is so "different" about it?

just reads like a piece written by someone else, a not so good journalist or something...

lionheart Feb 22nd 2009 11:14 am

If you tell your boy that you absolutely adore Kanye West, he will soon lose interest. It's a rebellion stage we all go through. My elderly aunt used to say how much she enjoyed my Black Sabbath albums...they soon went in the bin.

bimcnorth Feb 22nd 2009 11:47 am

I´m an old 'rude boy' hence the ska infatuation, that said I always enjoyed other more OTT bands like Prodigy or Fad Gadget as well.

TGFKASE Feb 22nd 2009 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7310077)
I've always liked the various schools of techno music (Trance, Dance, Rave, Chilled etc.), my dad had loads from the late 70's and early 80's.

IMO the early 90's where a time of great change, people wanted music and drugs to suit a new age. The greed of 80's pop may have generated big revenue for record companies but in the end there was little interesting or ground breaking being produced. Rave came along, it didn't make sense logically but was embraced by a youth just looking for fun and new experiences. It was aggressive, loud and usually in a field with people off their heads...fantastic stuff :rofl:.

With the advent of burget airlines by the 90's people could go to Ibiza etc. Initially this new boom fostered amazing tallents, European artists that previously had had niche markets suddenly found a market. This really only lasted a few years though as soon they too came to sound as generic as the 80's pop tunes they had replaced.

Record companies started to push pop hard through reality TV and boybands hoping for more Spice girls etc. They couldn't really find bands to replace the likes of Oasis because record sales where hit or miss rather than providing constant streams of revenue. Individual bands tended to be short lived however and few survived once their first album had been released. Later similar setups would spawn pop idol etc. It was at this time I discovered classic rock like Hendrix and Cream.

Already though a new set of artists where appearing in a wave that would change the now niche but global electronic music following and persist...well to this day really. Moby was the first but others followed as the century turned. It's been more of a slow burn than a sudden burst however.

Rap and more recently R&B did gain some ground but this appears to already by dying on their feet. Initially artists could expect several hits but now they seem to be averaging 3 top 20's in a week with album sales being weak as most of the rest of the albums are just filler.

After quite an exodus we have seen American pop and rock bands start to produce some half decent tunes :thumbup:.

Am intrigued to find out who you state was trance, dance, rave etc in the late 70's... Just when do you think the Chicago sound moved over?? How early were you listening to Kraftwerk?

Worldismine Feb 22nd 2009 7:18 pm

GnR, Metallica, Nirvana, Although I am not from the generation of teens who witnessed them during their peak. The only one I liked and witnessed during their peak was Oasis.

StublueKPL Feb 22nd 2009 11:17 pm

Although i was just too young to see them (was born Dec 79 so didnt really get into music until my teens)

The Stone Roses
The Smiths
Happy Mondays etc
Madness

Seen Oasis a few times now so that was really my era (blur etc)

commander Feb 23rd 2009 12:51 am

My musical tastes were influenced by my schoolmates and the whole scottish music scene at the time, late 80's.

The time of the superb McEwans and tennants lager adverts. We had hipsway, the blue nile, river detectives, love and money, big dish, KMO, Hue and Cry and many more.

Left school and musical taste in the early 90's moved onto the rave/house scene hardcore uproar etc. Used to go up to cream in Liverpool most weekends.

Then I guess I moved into the madchester scene albeit when it was nearly over I.e oasis, stone roses.

But now funnily enough I listen to a lot of northside, jesus jones, inspiral carpets

Guess I've not really been influenced by anyone persay, but just the circumstances I have found myself in.

Christ the old man still listens to jimmy shand fae auchtermuchty

StublueKPL Feb 23rd 2009 1:30 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7311952)
My musical tastes were influenced by my schoolmates and the whole scottish music scene at the time, late 80's.

The time of the superb McEwans and tennants lager adverts. We had hipsway, the blue nile, river detectives, love and money, big dish, KMO, Hue and Cry and many more.

Left school and musical taste in the early 90's moved onto the rave/house scene hardcore uproar etc. Used to go up to cream in Liverpool most weekends.

Then I guess I moved into the madchester scene albeit when it was nearly over I.e oasis, stone roses.

But now funnily enough I listen to a lot of northside, jesus jones, inspiral carpets

Guess I've not really been influenced by anyone persay, but just the circumstances I have found myself in.

Christ the old man still listens to jimmy shand fae auchtermuchty

:o Christ, that would drive me bonkers!! I hate all that shortbread and tartan crap!! In saying that, my old man likes belting out the Road and the miles to Dundee at new year :thumbdown: