Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What to do in Dubai for a day?

What to do in Dubai for a day?

Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to do in Dubai for a day?

Doh, yes you did say when you are landing.

You should still be able to do the same itinerary but in a different order

Head straight to the creek when you get here, as that is the best part of the day to experience it. The number of people who come to Dubai yet don't visit the older parts/creek/old souqs etc is very sad, you will really experience life as it has always been in this part of the world (old wooden ships coming in to port, laden with things to be traded) and the people going around their daily business etc.

A lovely atmosphere and around sunset onwards it is so nice to be pottering about that area. (Sorry, you can tell I love it )

You can even have dinner there overlooking the creek, instead of the fountain area, but definitely do the fountains too with a nice cold drink.

Hey, if you need a tour guide...............
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Taxi to Bur Dubai, Arbra over the creek, walk up to the gold market, cheap curry, taxi to Dubai Mall and see the fountains.

Remember, the interesting bits of dubai are closed 1-4pm.

I wouldn't go to the gold and diamond park - it's an outlet mall next to an industrial estate.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Millhouse, we're trying to be nice for once.

The Gold and Diamond Park is where Dubai expats buy their jewelry. Only tourists buy at the gold souk by the creek, but it does admittedly have more character.

As for the other suggestions, skip Deira City Centre as there's nothing special about it other than it was Dubai's first proper mall. Dubai Mall is a must even if you hate malls. That place is impressive. Madinat Jumeirah has a very well designed if still fake souk bit going for it and if she wants, sitting outside by the waterways is a nice way to have lunch. Mall of Emirates is only worthwhile for a tourist to see the ski slope, unless they really want to shop.

If she's arriving on Friday the metro doesn't start running until 2, unless its changed recently. Taxis are quicker, and thr big bus tour is a decent way of getting to all the sights. I find the metro too slow and with a limited time she may be better off taking taxis around.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Taxi to Bur Dubai, Arbra over the creek, walk up to the gold market, cheap curry, taxi to Dubai Mall and see the fountains.

I wouldn't go to the gold and diamond park - it's an outlet mall next to an industrial estate.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Millhouse, we're trying to be nice for once.
So was I... Unless you are planning on buying some gold, then a trip to the Gold & Diamond market is a miserable experience. I still honestly believe an arba ride, wonder around the gold and spice markets and a cheap curry are some of the nicest things to do in Dubai. Malls are the same anywhere in the world (except ours are more expensive), apart from the fountains at Dubai Mall there is no reason to visit any of them.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

I'd never send a tourist to the G&D Park either....

TBH, it shouldn't really matter where you buy your gold etc from, if you go armed with the daily rate per gram on that day and check the number of grams on the item, it should be quite easy to work out what the price is, plus any markup depending on how detailed the item is (and you would usually know what is a reasonable mark up price or what sounds ridiculous).

Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I for one would stay away from the Malls..what will you do if you get into things and leave the Mall with 5 or more bags...they won't let you bring those on the plane..unless you are in 1st class, of course.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sorry to barge in from the Australia forum. I'm travelling to Canada on Emirates in May and have a 17 hour stopover in Dubai. What should I definitely see/do and what should I definitely not bother with?

Bear in mind I'm a middle aged woman travelling alone.

Ta.
OK OK....... curiosity has got the better of me...........

Dorothy, as you are a member of the Australia forum, is it safe to assume you actually are in Australia?

If so - what the hell made you fly the wrong way round the world to reach Canada - thus adding many many unnecessary travelling hours?? Surely Qantas or Air Canada fly direct, across the Northern Pacific Ocean??
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds just like what I'd like to do. Markets and cheap curry sound excellent.
Originally Posted by The Dean
OK OK....... curiosity has got the better of me...........

Dorothy, as you are a member of the Australia forum, is it safe to assume you actually are in Australia?

If so - what the hell made you fly the wrong way round the world to reach Canada - thus adding many many unnecessary travelling hours?? Surely Qantas or Air Canada fly direct, across the Northern Pacific Ocean??
Yes, I live in Australia. It's actually the same time in the air from Perth to Toronto whether I go Qantas through the US or Emirates through Dubai. It's 24 hours in the air either route. With Qantas I have to fly to Melbourne or Sydney first (5 hours) then on to LA (14 hours) then LA to Toronto (5 more hours). With Emirates it's 11 hours direct flight from Perth to Dubai then 13 hours direct from Dubai to Toronto.

Besides, I've done the trip a few ways and this is a different route. Last time I went through Singapore & London, the time before Melbourne, LA, Toronto and the time before that Auckland, Honolulu, San Fran, Toronto. Flying into the US is a pain in the ass as well and I try to avoid it if I can.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Malls are the same anywhere in the world (except ours are more expensive), apart from the fountains at Dubai Mall there is no reason to visit any of them.
I think having the Burj Khalifa on the doorstep makes Dubai Mall a little special. There is also the Souq Al Bahar across the footbridge and a perfectly passable Gold Souq, not forgetting the aquarium. Like somebody else said, gold prices should be fairly standard. The original gold souq in my view is a shit hole and tourist trap, where you can get hassled non-stop. I also wouldn't risk a dodgy curry if flying onwards non-stop to Canada.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
I also wouldn't risk a dodgy curry if flying onwards non-stop to Canada.
Well at least I'd be getting up and walking around pretty often.