British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What to do in Dubai for a day? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-do-dubai-day-753134/)

Dorothy Mar 29th 2012 10:29 am

What to do in Dubai for a day?

Sorry to barge in from the Australia forum. I'm travelling to Canada on Emirates in May and have a 17 hour stopover in Dubai. What should I definitely see/do and what should I definitely not bother with?

Bear in mind I'm a middle aged woman travelling alone.

Ta.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 29th 2012 10:36 am

Re: What to do in Dubai for a day?

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9978386)
Sorry to barge in from the Australia forum. I'm travelling to Canada on Emirates in May and have a 17 hour stopover in Dubai. What should I definitely see/do and what should I definitely not bother with?

Bear in mind I'm a middle aged woman travelling alone.

Ta.

Let Bahtat Boy take you for a pint and a tour.

Meow Mar 29th 2012 10:55 am

Take a trip up the Buj Khalifa (this is not a euphemism & is nothing to do with Bahtatboy!). Book ahead and it costs just AED 100, rather than AED 400 on the door.

What do you like to do? See sights, eat, go shopping? Budget? And what day of the week?

Meow Mar 29th 2012 10:56 am

PS. What qualifies as 'middle aged' these days anyway?

Dorothy Mar 29th 2012 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9978416)
Take a trip up the Buj Khalifa (this is not a euphemism & is nothing to do with Bahtatboy!). Book ahead and it costs just AED 100, rather than AED 400 on the door.

What do you like to do? See sights, eat, go shopping? Budget? And what day of the week?

Sorry...A little info from me would have gone a long way.

Ok, I was thinking I would like to go to the gold souk if it's open at night and take a drive around to see the buildings. I know - pretty cheesy tourist crap. :) Don't really have a budget in mind, but I tend to be pretty low maintenance - public transport is ok by me.

I'm landing at 6:30 pm on a Tuesday and leaving on Wednesday, so overnight stopover. I have a room at the airport hotel, but my flights are 11 and 13.5 hours so would like to get out and walk around some.

And middle aged is (gulp) 49. A young 49 but still grandmother of 2.

Bahtatboy Mar 29th 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9978416)
Book ahead and it costs just AED 100, rather than AED 400 on the door.

Very similar to my rates.

Meow Mar 29th 2012 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9978454)
Sorry...A little info from me would have gone a long way.

Ok, I was thinking I would like to go to the gold souk if it's open at night and take a drive around to see the buildings. I know - pretty cheesy tourist crap. :) Don't really have a budget in mind, but I tend to be pretty low maintenance - public transport is ok by me.

I'm landing at 6:30 pm on a Tuesday and leaving on Wednesday, so overnight stopover. I have a room at the airport hotel, but my flights are 11 and 13.5 hours so would like to get out and walk around some.

And middle aged is (gulp) 49. A young 49 but still grandmother of 2.

There are a number of places that call themselves a gold souk, but if you are interested in buying you are best to head to the Gold & Diamond Park. A newish place, but the best regulated. I thnk it's open to 10pm.

Taxis are not expensive and probably the easiest way of getting around. If the timings work I'd suggest taking a Big Bus tour http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/dubai...ng_tour&gclid= as that way you'll go to the main tourist sights and get choose what you want to investigate further.

Dubai is not really a walking city, so best to head to a specific area (such as Dubai Mall where the Burj Khalifa is) if you want to stroll and go to a cafe.

The timings aren't the best as few things open before 10.00am and many attractions will close by 10pm.

I don't think 49 is much of an age (& no other posters, I am not that age!). Dubai is a pretty safe place, but depending on when you are here, it is going to be pretty hot. Nearly 40c earlier today so it looks as if summer has just started.
:)

Dorothy Mar 29th 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9978461)
There are a number of places that call themselves a gold souk, but if you are interested in buying you are best to head to the Gold & Diamond Park. A newish place, but the best regulated. I thnk it's open to 10pm.

Taxis are not expensive and probably the easiest way of getting around. If the timings work I'd suggest taking a Big Bus tour http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/dubai...ng_tour&gclid= as that way you'll go to the main tourist sights and get choose what you want to investigate further.

Dubai is not really a walking city, so best to head to a specific area (such as Dubai Mall where the Burj Khalifa is) if you want to stroll and go to a cafe.

The timings aren't the best as few things open before 10.00am and many attractions will close by 10pm.

I don't think 49 is much of an age (& no other posters, I am not that age!). Dubai is a pretty safe place, but depending on when you are here, it is going to be pretty hot. Nearly 40c earlier today so it looks as if summer has just started.
:)

Thank you very much. Gold and diamonds...2 of my favourite friends. :lol:

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9978459)
Very similar to my rates.

I'll keep you in mind for after the markets close. ;)

mentalist Mar 29th 2012 12:01 pm

I would simply get a taxi to the Dubai Mall from where you can see the Burj Khalifa, musical lake fountains and stuff. I personally wouldn't bother going up the tower as its more impressive from ground level in my view. Taking one of those double-decker bus tours may be worth considering or alternatively a creek boat cruise.

Bahtatboy Mar 29th 2012 1:47 pm

Creek boat cruise: really? Took my family on one last time they were out: poor food, not much to see, pretty chaotic organisation. Mind you, I was a bit of a cheap-skate, so perhaps worth doing if you spend a bit more.

I hate to say it, but a shopping mall (probably Dubai Mall, as Mentalist says) is worth a visit.

I would also suggest one of the souqs, but someone else will have to recommend which one.

Try catching a film called City of Life before you come (if you have no idea what Dubai is like). You won't really experience anything similar to what happens in the film (I hope), but it paints a fair background picture of the place.

:D

kittycat1 Mar 29th 2012 1:57 pm

Madinat Jumeriah, good for food and you get a good touristy souk and a nice view of the burj al arab if you can't be arsed with a mall.

Robajob Mar 29th 2012 6:57 pm

If you're at the airport, nip on over to the Metro Station, get a Gold Nol card,stick some credit on and trundle across town on the Metro, great way to get to see a bit of Dubai.

There is a station on the red line (First Gulf Bank) right outside the Gold and Diamond park...

Dorothy Mar 29th 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 9979058)
If you're at the airport, nip on over to the Metro Station, get a Gold Nol card,stick some credit on and trundle across town on the Metro, great way to get to see a bit of Dubai.

There is a station on the red line (First Gulf Bank) right outside the Gold and Diamond park...

Beauty, thanks! That's something I love about Singapore - you can get on public transit right from the airport.

Robajob Mar 30th 2012 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9979380)
Beauty, thanks! That's something I love about Singapore - you can get on public transit right from the airport.

http://www.rta.ae/dubai_metro/english/home.html

One of the pleasant surprises I got when coming to Dubai is just how good the public transport infrastructure is.

Ditzy Mar 30th 2012 1:55 am

You haven't said what time you arrive, leave or where you are staying, but here is 17 hours....Am assuming you arrive at breakfast time.

1. 8am Arrive in hotel and head to the Boardwalk, Dubai Creek Golf Club for breakfast, sit outside (hopefully not too hot!) and enjoy the early morning creek.
2. Leave and head to Dubai City Centre for a look round a mall
3. At 11am, get on the Metro for a good city view and travel to MOE. Another quick look at a mall and then a cab to the Madinat for lunch
4. Lunch in the Lebanese restaurant at the Madinat, followed by photo ops of madinat/Burj al Arab etc. A walk down to the beach (and a ride on camel if he is there!)
5. 3pm, time for afternoon tea at either the Ritz Carlton or Royal Mirage.
then, start heading back towards Bur Dubai, ask for Bur Dubai/Textile Souq/Abra.
6. 5pm wander around the Textile Souq looking for pashminas/wall coverings etc
7. 5.30pm, take the shared abra (1 aed) across to the other side of the creek. On the other side, spend an hour or so wandering the spice souk and gold souk. Make sure you know the daily gram price of gold so you can bargain well.
6. 6.30pm - abra back over to the other side of the creek. Should hopefully be around prayer time now, so that you can hear the call to prayer from the creek, absolutely lovely! pick up a samosa and a masala chai from a back street cafe to keep you going.
7. 7pm -Metro/Cab to Dubai Mall metro station. PHoto ops of Burj Khalifa etc.
7. 8pm, make sure you are seated in a good spot for the Fountains, either at a cafe (More Cafe, Vappiano etc) or if you'd like a glass of wine then one of the restaurants overlooking the fountains (Mango Tree etc).
8. 10.pm- head to Jumeirah Beach Road and Jumeirah Mosque, for a quick photo opportunity
9. 10.30pm just time for a shwarma before heading back to your hotel. Ask your cab driver to take you to Jumeirah Beach via a shwarma place. Pick one up & a fresh juice and sit on the beach at night and watch the world go by.

Enjoy!!!