British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What is British culture? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-british-culture-724085/)

Meow Jul 10th 2011 12:49 pm

Re: What is British culture?

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9486418)
I miss those two things the most.

You can get The Sunday Times here, or the International version at least which basically gives you the best bits. Or read the UK versions on a iPad. next best thing; in fact better as no paper to get rid of afterwards.

Once the weather cools, you'll find plenty of places where you can sit outside and drink. Some are quite pleasant as well.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2011 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9486459)
You can get The Sunday Times here, or the International version at least which basically gives you the best bits. Or read the UK versions on a iPad. next best thing; in fact better as no paper to get rid of afterwards.

Once the weather cools, you'll find plenty of places where you can sit outside and drink. Some are quite pleasant as well.

Haven't managed to convince myself I need an iPad yet. When I do try it won't take much but have come here to save, not be a muppet. Sorely tempted though.

I like the way everytime someone suggests somewhere you have to check if it's nice or not.

Paracletus Jul 11th 2011 11:55 am

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F4HAKG9tKh.../Grove+inn.jpg

The pub. An institution like no other. I sorely miss lazy days in this particular pub during my stint in Huddersfield. 18 hand pulled ales on constant rotation, 200+ different beers on bottle, and numerous European beers on draught. Probably the best den of inequity I ever visited, beer wise. The snack menu was equally as impressive.

Bahtatboy Jul 11th 2011 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9488217)

The pub. An institution like no other. I sorely miss lazy days in this particular pub during my stint in Huddersfield. 18 hand pulled ales on constant rotation, 200+ different beers on bottle, and numerous European beers on draught. Probably the best den of inequity I ever visited, beer wise. The snack menu was equally as impressive.

Interesting. I liken The Cellar (before it warms up) in Abu Dhabi to a traditional pub on a wet Wednesday afternoon in 'uddersfield, although obviously not The Grove. Wish The Cellar had that array of beer (and snacks), although I'll bet The Celler wins hands down in degrees of iniquity.

Millsyisland Jul 11th 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9486246)
I know plenty of people in the UK who would explain how they feel like this because of the cultural and later financial destruction wrought by the English, particularly those from the South-East.

Don't get this - please explain?

typical Jul 11th 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9488468)
Don't get this - please explain?

Just as it says. There are several groups in the UK who would claim the English have tried to diminish their local culture. Who complain they no longer hear their own language in the streets because it has been replaced by English.

Millsyisland Jul 11th 2011 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9488710)
Just as it says. There are several groups in the UK who would claim the English have tried to diminish their local culture. Who complain they no longer hear their own language in the streets because it has been replaced by English.

Why do you say the South East in particular?

Boomhauer Jul 11th 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9488710)

The Welsh have been trying to save their language from going extinct due to dominance of English.

typical Jul 12th 2011 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9488734)
Why do you say the South East in particular?

Because most of the cultural superiority shown by the English has its roots in London and the Home Counties. Ask the Cornish.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9488873)
The Welsh have been trying to save their language from going extinct due to dominance of English.

Quite so...

Madam Medusa Jul 12th 2011 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9488873)

well they have been doing that for quite a few years now, and it's great...one of the girls i worked with had welsh as her first language, as did her boyfriend...i think it's really important as it would be a tragedy if the language died...

MM, xx

Millsyisland Jul 12th 2011 4:04 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9489771)
Ask the Cornish.

Rather not associate with such riff-raff - I'll just style my centre-parting, have another Pimms and see how Quentin and Jemima are doing at today's 'Rich vs Richer' polo match.

I come from the South East don't you know.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2011 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9489831)
Rather not associate with such riff-raff - I'll just style my centre-parting, have another Pimms and see how Quentin and Jemima are doing at today's 'Rich vs Richer' polo match.

Unbelievable isn't it, we give the rest of the country electricity and the wheel. What does one get in return? Insolence.

Norm_uk Jul 12th 2011 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9488217)

18 hand pulled Ales? This sounds like heaven...is it still there?

N.

Norm_uk Jul 12th 2011 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9489843)
Unbelievable isn't it, we give the rest of the country electricity and the wheel. What does one get in return? Insolence.

Haha..in all seriousness though I see no major difference in the various regions of England in terms of who is more English than the others. It's most class and accents, we are all equally annoying, arrogant and complain too much. That said the people in the North and West tend to be friendlier in my own experience...and I am a southerner.

Quite right about the dominance over the Welsh, Scots, Irish etc...but we've seen official attempts to reverse that or at least make the older languages of the British Isles available to people who live in those parts and want to learn them which is fantastic. If we ever had a written constitution I'd definitely support a clause stating English is the language of government and commerce but all the Gaelic languages are also officially recognised and should be taught in school in the Celtic parts and perhaps be options for schools in England too...there's plenty of Celtic/Saxon mix people who are interested in that sort of thing.

N.

typical Jul 12th 2011 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9489831)

I guessed :rofl:

I'm not saying all of the South East is like that. I did live in London for a while ;)