Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

what am I doing here phase

what am I doing here phase

Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: what am I doing here phase

I was in Dubai at the week end and the weather was perfect. Really can't beat it - here in Jeddah it may not get as hot/humid in summer, but neither does it seem to get as pleasant as the Khaleej during winter.

Depends where you are starting from - after growing up on a Manchester council estate and then after some travels gravitating to a dead end northern mill town, coming out to Qatar over 12 years ago now was just fantastic for me. Qatar had a friendly close knit expat community back then - rugby club, dive club, Doha players, sailing club, HHH etc. etc.

Never looked back and have split my time overseas between the Middle East and West Africa.

I would now like to either get back to Africa - on a European salary it's a magical place - or the Far East, but at this stage I could never see myself going back home, ever. I'm the only one in the family to have moved on, everyone else still in the Manchester area - I'm the black sheep I guess.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your targets in mind. You are here to achieve certain things and don't let things get you down.In a few years you will have what you came for and when you look back from the comfort of your new life, your hard-earned comforts, you won't even remember the bad times.Maybe you won't even look back. Stay positive.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:11 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
think of dubai as two buckets,one with money in it and the other with sh*t when either is full do yourself a favour and depart
karma worthy
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:39 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I think if you have come out on your own and have been here just a few months then Christmas is a tough time, as you remember previous years with friends and family.

Everyone is different and some people never adjust and others are settled from outset. The army brat in me meant I fell into the latter category, but I happened to see some M&S Christmas ads online yesterday and even I felt a pang of homesickness.

As Spugsy said, once you have a good network of friends it all becomes easier as good friends here become an extended family. Obviously that takes time, but accept all the invitations as you never know when you'll meet great people. Despite the nonsense some spout about Dubai there are masses of really nice and genuine poeople here.

And a quick fix - look out of the window. It's a beautiful day and the daytime temperatures are perfect. In the UK, the days are short, cold, wet & grey.

when I was pissed off a mate at work said 'why are you here?', and I replied 'for the money and the sun', and he said 'well there you go'.

And that was enough, Dubai for most is a means to an end, get some good mates, enjoy the sun and have some canny holidays and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

erm as a lingerie designer I design both bras and knickers- I am quite multi talented!

And yes may seem random that i flit from thinking about buying a car to wanting to go home- thing is I know I can't really afford to go home as would face a horrid tax bill and have nowhere to live.

Works been manic here working 14 hour days and learning to put up with office politics after being self employed for the last 4 years doing a job that I adore, is a massive culture shock- I'd forgotten how rotten it can be- just trying to rise above it and not get taken down by it.

One of my best friends at home has just seperated form her hubby and I just want to run home and give her a hug and have a good bitch session over several bottles of wine and then go xmas shopping with me mam.

I know it'll pass but sometimes I just feel very sorry for myself but Ive got myself here so need to make the most of it rather than pining for London.

Have my positive head on today so feeling a bit more upbeat.

Thank you all for the private messages of support though

xxx
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:16 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Comes and goes. Back in the UK last week I got to cycle, run, go to local pubs and play pool and the quizzy and drink real beer, hypnotise a few people and buy clothes that fit from M&S.

Don't get to do many of those things here.

There are good things about being here, but all the places I felt emotionally invested in - Korea, Finland, even Riyadh to an extent - Dubai isn't one of them.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:30 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yup... I "got it" about 2 weeks in and it took 6 months to wear off! At the moment I enjoy life in Dubai - which isn't the same as liking Dubai. I think the key is to enjoy it for what it is - and what it is is what you can see. Don't have too many expectations and you won't be disappointed!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Another plus- At least you do women's underwear- if you did men's underwear you'd see lots of sweaty hairy men in their gruds.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Seven seas- if only you knew how hot that made me lol

and id actually work it so we had a gorgeous model- ( mind you hairy sweaty men work for me as well ) although not sure what my male boss would make of that....

actually scrap that- i have a certain level if hairyness they can be - hairy backs are my limit - off to the back sack and crack woman for that! Although if it was hugh jackman I wouldnt mind him being hairy- actuallY id just insist on having mr jackman as the fit model- Id even work for free then!

Last edited by kittycat1; Dec 7th 2009 at 5:47 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I never tire of hearing women say that to me.

See? Feeling better already...
But watch out, I'm sure a number of contributors will be offering to send you photos of their crusty y-fronts.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sevens seas and Im sure a lot of women say it to you

I'm actually thinking a lifesize cut out of Hugh would cheer me right up- whenever Im feeling fed up would just have to look at him and would feel loads better ok looming on the edge of being an utter weirdo!

mm crusty yfronts- my favourite
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Sevens seas and Im sure a lot of women say it to you

I'm actually thinking a lifesize cut out of Hugh would cheer me right up- whenever Im feeling fed up would just have to look at him and would feel loads better ok looming on the edge of being an utter weirdo!

mm crusty yfronts- my favourite
Can't beat a bit of Hugh. When I left the UK a friend gave me a Hugh Jackman snowglobe which sits in the shelf above my desk to cheer me up when required.

-
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:37 am
W10

I'm just counting the days to be honest

Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:14 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

erm as a lingerie designer I design both bras and knickers- I am quite multi talented!

And yes may seem random that i flit from thinking about buying a car to wanting to go home- thing is I know I can't really afford to go home as would face a horrid tax bill and have nowhere to live.

Works been manic here working 14 hour days and learning to put up with office politics after being self employed for the last 4 years doing a job that I adore, is a massive culture shock- I'd forgotten how rotten it can be- just trying to rise above it and not get taken down by it.

One of my best friends at home has just seperated form her hubby and I just want to run home and give her a hug and have a good bitch session over several bottles of wine and then go xmas shopping with me mam.

I know it'll pass but sometimes I just feel very sorry for myself but Ive got myself here so need to make the most of it rather than pining for London.

Have my positive head on today so feeling a bit more upbeat.

Thank you all for the private messages of support though

xxx
you planning on a trip home though? Can you not head off for xmas for a week?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oh Wise Ones,

Well I have been here for 3 months now and am currently going through the what the hell am I doing here phase- apparently its normal and everyone keeps telling me it takes a good 6 months to settle in.

Anyone have some wise words to stop me from jumping on the next plane home other than think of the money?

KC
x
Happens in the first year when you're trying to find your bearings. I enjoyed my stint (all of 15 years) and miss Dubai a lot. Am really looking forward to my visit next week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.