British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   what am I doing here phase (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-am-i-doing-here-phase-643646/)

kittycat1 Dec 6th 2009 3:42 pm

what am I doing here phase

Hi Oh Wise Ones,

Well I have been here for 3 months now and am currently going through the what the hell am I doing here phase- apparently its normal and everyone keeps telling me it takes a good 6 months to settle in.

Anyone have some wise words to stop me from jumping on the next plane home other than think of the money?

KC
x

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Dec 6th 2009 3:51 pm

Re: what am I doing here phase

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8150717)
Hi Oh Wise Ones,

Well I have been here for 3 months now and am currently going through the what the hell am I doing here phase- apparently its normal and everyone keeps telling me it takes a good 6 months to settle in.

Anyone have some wise words to stop me from jumping on the next plane home other than think of the money?

KC
x

u know what's funny... everyone assumed I was going to Sevens this weekend. That's the thing here, everyone has to go to Formula One, Sevens, Tennis, horse racing at Jebel Ali - whatever's on really

I never did any of this stuff in the UK, and when I explained that to someone the other day, they couldnt compute

I not completely thankless though. I went to Qatar two weeks ago and people I met thought I was very lucky indeed to be in Dubai

Fairydust Dec 6th 2009 4:34 pm

Ive been back to the UK twice in the last 4 months and I'm starting to come around to the idea of moving from here. Weve been here 6+ years now and the novelty has def. worn off.

Even scraping the ice off the car last week was a novelty (might wear off I know). Anyway its high on my list of considerations at the moment - thing is its just what to do for the best (we've got a daughter going into year 9 next September so if we are going to move must do it sooner rather than later)

Anyway back to you KC its your call but to be honest the longer you are here the more difficult to leave

shiva Dec 6th 2009 4:47 pm

yeah that feeling comes and goes, mostly comes to be honest

spart Dec 6th 2009 5:15 pm

6 days back in the southern hemisphere, in complete sanity. I cannot wait to make it permanent.

Millhouse Dec 6th 2009 5:38 pm

Hi Oh Wise Ones,

KC
x

you last thread was about buying a car... you just had a bad day in the knicker factory?

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Dec 6th 2009 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8150900)
you last thread was about buying a car... you just had a bad day in the knicker factory?

I thought it was bras?

I remember reading KC looking for volunteers who were a size 34B

Autonomy Dec 6th 2009 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8150900)

LOL....

When we moved here 5 years ago that feeling didn't come around for a good 24-36 months later. Then, as Shiva mentions, it comes and goes.... maybe times have changed that it only takes 6 months for the madness to become apparent....

Millhouse Dec 6th 2009 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8150949)
LOL....

When we moved here 5 years ago that feeling didn't come around for a good 24-36 months later. Then, as Shiva mentions, it comes and goes.... maybe times have changed that it only takes 6 months for the madness to become apparent....

we had it after 8 months... I think we just said, well we have to stick it out for a year so only 4 more to go. By that time it has passed.

shiva Dec 6th 2009 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8150949)
LOL....

agreed, think the madness has definately increased and thats why the 6 months thing

Spugsy Dec 6th 2009 7:40 pm

Hi Oh Wise Ones,

KC
x

aye, get some nice mates, I didn't have that many mates for the forst 6 months and it was hellish, in fact I went home after 3 months for a long weekend as I missed everyone loads.

You need a few good mates to bounce off and speak to and have nights out with, I started playing footy at safa park and met some good english lads there, and met up with the Dubai toon Army lads as well.

If you are alone you'll feel alone, you need some canny mates.

littlejimmy Dec 6th 2009 7:55 pm

There's always a bit of "grass is greener" syndrome at work. When you've been away from the UK for a bit, you miss the good stuff and forget the bad stuff, but after a few months it wears off again and you wish you were somewhere else. I mean it's soooo ****ing cold here!

klaus3974 Dec 7th 2009 3:06 am

I went "home" during Eid/National Break. It rainned 7 out of 8 days. I am happy to be back in Dubai, despite the madness.

co durham boy Dec 7th 2009 3:32 am

Hi Oh Wise Ones,

KC
x

i first came here over 15 years ago and have spent around 8 yrs working in dubai /abu dhabi since then, i woke up last week and just wanted to go , something trivial set it off like always.
it comes and goes all the time,this lifestyle is not for everyone,its a work based lifestyle to earn money predominately,the extras are as they say just extras.
you need to get the balance right with work/friends/time off e.t.c . its a self inflicted form of madness really. 3months is nothing.i spent 3 months trying to get out of the site car park!
the only bit of advice iv ever took seriously is the following.
think of dubai as two buckets,one with money in it and the other with sh*t when either is full do yourself a favour and depart

Meow Dec 7th 2009 4:27 am

Hi Oh Wise Ones,

KC
x

I think if you have come out on your own and have been here just a few months then Christmas is a tough time, as you remember previous years with friends and family.

Everyone is different and some people never adjust and others are settled from outset. The army brat in me meant I fell into the latter category, but I happened to see some M&S Christmas ads online yesterday and even I felt a pang of homesickness.

As Spugsy said, once you have a good network of friends it all becomes easier as good friends here become an extended family. Obviously that takes time, but accept all the invitations as you never know when you'll meet great people. Despite the nonsense some spout about Dubai there are masses of really nice and genuine poeople here.

And a quick fix - look out of the window. It's a beautiful day and the daytime temperatures are perfect. In the UK, the days are short, cold, wet & grey.

:)