Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Villaggio Shopping centre

Villaggio Shopping centre

Old May 29th 2012, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Villaggio Shopping centre

Coincidentally I am submitting a design for a project in Doha this week and a big part of it is our Fire/Life Safety plans which will need to be signed off my Qatar Civil Defense.

Skyscrapercity has some interesting links to previous fires in their history of the project. Is also interesting that the project was a rushed delivery for the Asian games?? Can only imagine how a rushed Stadium/Hotel or two for the World Cup will handle Fire/Life Safety?

----

This is a re-post of what I just put onto the Skyscrapercity forum:

Sombody must be held legally responsible for these deaths.

Look at this evidence of culpable negligence at the Villagio centre:

From 2009 - photos of locked fire exits - http://www.qatarliving.com/node/394851
From 2007 - reports of fire with no alarm or sprinklers http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archiv.../t-560498.html
From 2006 - Yet another fire at the Villagio - and workers had to call firemen themselves!! http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=563

It is Qatar Civil Defense who is responsible for signing off on all Fire Safety designs and Construction and also inspections of compliance
Mall management also should be held accountable for maintenance of Fire Safety systems.

This is a legal matter and if I was the parents of those children I would be seeking answers from both parties.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:05 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Only an idiot would think they were....

The problem is a lot of modern expats want to sniff the money but not the sewers.
Your a ******* idiot. It's Doha not Afghanistan or Iraq. I find your comments repulsive and insensitive.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes mate, I lived and worked in Dubai in the 70s. Before most people on this site has started school. See that bloody big dock at Jebel Ali - well I put blood sweet and tears into it.

There was no GCC in those days, it was the Trucial States, and the Trucial Scouts had only just gone.

Dubai in those days was a little bit different to today. Far less real estate salesman and financial advisors for a start....
Do you honestly think anyone gives a **** what you've done and when? You're on the wrong thread for bragging.

This has absolutely hit me for 6 this morning...it's just devastating.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:16 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-inferno.html

A very moving report.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason this tweet was deleted from their feed....

https://twitter.com/MOI_QatarEn/stat...50392968757248

Eventually/Hopefully the truth comes out..
Old May 29th 2012, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

My thoughts and prayers go to the families who lost people. I am particularly gutted by the news of the triplets from NZ and the other children.

It's so terrible.

Praise goes to the people who assisted and the firefighters who lost their lives.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:34 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

This is terribly sad, all those children. No blame games or inquiries can bring them back.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Tragic loss of life yesterday.

I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to lose a loved one to this, let alone your children.

I hope there is serious pressure put on the Qatari's by the international community to ensure this is never repeated.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Yes mate, I lived and worked in Dubai in the 70s. Before most people on this site has started school. See that bloody big dock at Jebel Ali - well I put blood sweet and tears into it.

There was no GCC in those days, it was the Trucial States, and the Trucial Scouts had only just gone.

Dubai in those days was a little bit different to today. Far less real estate salesman and financial advisors for a start....
Actually the trucial states ceased to be in 1971, the UAE was formed 24 hrs later and jebel ali port was built if I remember in the mid to late 70's. But why let that get in the way of you being a right wanker.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Birdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to all

Does anyone know if any organised help or fundraising has been set up for the vicitms of this dreadful tragedy yet?
My company has a very large operation in Qatar and would like to help.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.expatwoman.com/qatar/foru...TopicID=181430
Old May 29th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible loss of life. It could so easily have happened here in Dubai. These places usually have automatic sprinkler and/or hose reel systems installed but often fail to have a sufficiently powerful water pump or adequate supply of water to make the systems work properly. We cannot blame the emergency services, as they appear to have done an exceptional job, not forgetting that there was another major fire also taking place in the Doha commercial district on the same morning. From my experience here, electrical short circuits are frequently the cause of such fires. On a related theme, please make sure that you switch off your air-conditioning systems whenever you go out.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

amy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the rough

Birdeez, the families are getting a considerable amount of support through the Government (believe it or not), including a team of social workers and psychologists, plus support from consulates including people being flown in from home countries to help on the ground.

It's a nice thought, but the lady who runs Doha Mums has already poured water on the idea of people fundraising - she is liaising between the authorities and the affected families and has said that while offers of help are welcome, the families are being well supported financially and practically, and just need time and space now to grieve.

Your company's efforts might be better suited to practical support to prevent any more tragedies e.g. bringing in some proper fire safety inspectors to do some work on your own buildings or any other public places (for example) or doing some awareness raising among your own staff.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

amy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the rough

Slapphead you are a d*ckhead - there is of course a time and place for questioning a lot of things in the GCC but this isn't one of them. We are all in mourning over here as it is a very small community and EVERYBODY knows someone affected.

Would you blame the parents of a teenager killed in an American high school for choosing to live in America? Would you blame the parents of a drowning victim for choosing to live by the sea? FFS.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Birdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to all

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Great, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.