Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

I seem to remember reading a few things about the confidence of British nationals in Shanghai and Singapore when WWII first broke out....

We know how well that worked out for many of them.

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
50 years is nothing, the expats of Dubai just temporary anyway...trade matters more than human conditions in the life of a city.

And I´ll sit tight despite war threats, that is how you make money.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:07 pm
Banned

Manos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to allManos De Piedra is a name known to all

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about Dubai lately. I heard that if you're a forgierner it's always your fault and it's right off to jail for you. Is this true?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Autonomy
First Germaine Greer and her bus trip - now another Guardian diatribe against Dubai... get over it guys...
I agree. The rest of the quote and article is contentious, and IMHO at least, wrong. However, reasonable people could have disagreements over it, so no biggie. These extracts quoted by the OP are just plain silly:
"I can only imagine that Dubai will one day be seen as a punctuation mark on the architectural follies of the past half century.
Really, Simon? People might differ about the aesthetic merits of the architecture here, but no one can deny the scale of what's already been achieved. You could love some the architecture, hate the rest, but you cannot deny the sheer scale - it would have been unthinkable ten years ago, or even in 2002 - they have changed the face of a city, and with it, of the region. For better or for worse, time will tell...

Simon Jenkins is the same guy who has greeted every new building in London (Swiss Re, More London, Mayor's office, Canary Wharf) with cries of how grotesque/ugly they are and how we will all hate it - even though quite a few of the new buildings are spectacular.
This off-the-shelf city state has been built on laundering the profits of oil, drugs, arms and western aid.
Firstly, profits of oil and 'western aid' are not "laundered" - they are both perfectly legal. Secondly, a significant portion of the speculative investments into Dubai, particularly in Real Estate, have been by Indians, Pakistanis and Iranians - businessmen who had been looking for a safe haven and a good short-term investment for their money in the region. As the bubble burst, those people have left. Hence, nothing to do with "drugs" or "arms" - had it been primarily those two, the money would still be here as those people wouldn't care about returns. However, the investors here were looking to make a quick buck for their legal funds and hence have now disappeared. Thirdly..what Western Aid? In the UAE?

What an idiot.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shehryar
Firstly, profits of oil and 'western aid' are not "laundered" - they are both perfectly legal. Secondly, a significant portion of the speculative investments into Dubai, particularly in Real Estate, have been by Indians, Pakistanis and Iranians - businessmen who had been looking for a safe haven and a good short-term investment for their money in the region. As the bubble burst, those people have left. Hence, nothing to do with "drugs" or "arms" - had it been primarily those two, the money would still be here as those people wouldn't care about returns. However, the investors here were looking to make a quick buck for their legal funds and hence have now disappeared. Thirdly..what Western Aid? In the UAE?

What an idiot.
I really can't be arsed to point out the faults in your statement because its blatantly obvious you haven't got a clue, but I'll say this..

If all the investors here were genuine ones, looking to make a profit, then why were apartments, villas, floors, blocks, left empty, for long periods of time during the 'boom'.
And please don't say that it made them easier for investors to flip, as full occupation of rent payers would make them more valuable..

Answers on a postcard to Sheyryar please..
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by admon
I really can't be arsed to point out the faults in your statement because its blatantly obvious you haven't got a clue, but I'll say this..
Thank you for the politeness...but really, you are far too kind :-)

If all the investors here were genuine ones, looking to make a profit,
I don't think they were 'genuine' investors of the kind we have in the UK, who are looking for a low-to-average rental yields and modest appreciations. The investors here were looking to make a 'quick buck', as suggested in my previous post ("a good short-term investment"). Hence the speculation, the property flipping and the over-inflated bubble.

then why were apartments, villas, floors, blocks, left empty, for long periods of time during the 'boom'.
And please don't say that it made them easier for investors to flip, as full occupation of rent payers would make them more valuable..
Were investors deliberately leaving their properties vacant when they could have rented them out and made money? I don't know if that was a widespread phenomenon. You seem to think it was, so I'll take your word for it - that would indicate they were not looking for returns on their investment - simply for a 'safe haven' for their (ill-gotten?) money. If that was the case, why has demand suddenly dried up?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Were investors deliberately leaving their properties vacant when they could have rented them out and made money? I don't know if that was a widespread phenomenon. You seem to think it was, so I'll take your word for it - that would indicate they were not looking for returns on their investment - simply for a 'safe haven' for their (ill-gotten?) money. If that was the case, why has demand suddenly dried up?
It was a widespread phenomenon, witnessed by various over the last 3 years.

Why has demand dried up?
Come on, common sense. If they want to lose the money they may as well burn it on a bonfire.
With no prospects of any capital gain in the next 5-10 years, or ever, it's a no brainer..

Can I borrow your rose tinted glasses please?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

If they want to lose the money they may as well burn it on a bonfire.
With no prospects of any capital gain in the next 5-10 years, or ever, it's a no brainer..
I agree - but that was my whole point. That property demand here was speculative and most were looking for extravagant short-term returns from a highly leveraged base - nothing to do with "money laundering", just greed.
As those crazy and silly returns have evaporated, so has the demand. If it was all money laundering, the demand would still be here.

Can I borrow your rose tinted glasses please?
If I had those, I'd be out there buying property right now... :-)
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I seem to remember reading a few things about the confidence of British nationals in Shanghai and Singapore when WWII first broke out....

We know how well that worked out for many of them.

That´s just human luck or lack of it..Shanghai and Singapore survived and have staged a remarkable growth despite some setbacks because they are trading and financial hubs.
The construction/property business is a secondary effect.

Trade is still the prime mover.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure, but you can't guarantee the next fifty years is going to be smooth for Dubai. If you were an expat with investments in Shanghai in 1939, or Moscow in 1914, you got seriously *****ed.

Waiting for the city to recover fifty or eighty years down the road doesn't mean much since odds are you'll be dead before that.

Dubai has a comparative advantage in trade for the region, but Dubai was the first to make its move. Now Bahrain, Qatar and even Saudi are jumping on the bandwagons with their own artificial ports, financing centres and manufacturing sources, all employing the same cheap labour from SE Asia. I don't think it's unrealistic to carefully assume Dubai has a decent and long-term future (assuming the Middle East doesn't blow up at some point), but the competition for the same goods and services Dubai offers is going to be more intense in the future.

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
That´s just human luck or lack of it..Shanghai and Singapore survived and have staged a remarkable growth despite some setbacks because they are trading and financial hubs.
The construction/property business is a secondary effect.

Trade is still the prime mover.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dubai has a comparative advantage in trade for the region, but Dubai was the first to make its move. Now Bahrain, Qatar and even Saudi are jumping on the bandwagons with their own artificial ports, financing centres and manufacturing sources, all employing the same cheap labour from SE Asia. I don't think it's unrealistic to carefully assume Dubai has a decent and long-term future (assuming the Middle East doesn't blow up at some point), but the competition for the same goods and services Dubai offers is going to be more intense in the future.
That's a good post and you raise some valid points. Dubai is facing competition as the trade/business hub of the region, but I don't think its that serious, as yet. Firstly, because Dubai has a >20 years head-start - Jebel Ali was started way back in the late 1970s, and there is a huge amount of infrastructure (port, container terminals, storage, roads) and human/financial capital available in Dubai that the competitors don't have. Even before Jebel Ali, dhows had been sailing up the creek (!) and back/forth from places like Basra and Bombay for decades - there isn't a local equivalent to any of that. Secondly, the competitors have serious issues of their own - Saudi is not the best place to do business in if you are a non-Saudi or catering for a non-Saudi market, and that won't change soon. Bahrain has significant political issues plus it is tiny and thus cannot really grow beyond a certain point. Qatar hasn't really focused on logistics/trade as much as it has on petrochemicals, drilling, LPG and of all things, real estate!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Ah, but there´s a difference between smooth and further expansion. Shanghai expanded quickly even during communist rule, Hong Kong almost exploded as they provided trade to China..

As for the possibility of another gulf city overtaking Dubai as the main trading, manufacturing and finance centre I think you´ll find that its rather unlikely for a number of reasons.

First of all Dubai got the structural support of being part of the second biggest economy in the arab world and will benefit hugely from that.

Secondly any other city in the region must make similar investments that Dubai have done and few are willing to take the risk or even got the means.

Thirdly the Saudis are not going to expand trade facilities considerably in the volatile NE part of the country but focus on the western red sea area where their industrial centres are.
Thus limiting any exposure to future troubles like the Iran/Hormuz scenario.

Add that Bahrain is on the verge of civil unrest and lack financial resources you will find that Doha is perhaps the only possible rival sometime in the future but that would need enormous investments while Dubai is cementing its position day by day.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:38 pm
W10

You're forgetting the Japanese invasion, WWII, the rounding up of expats into prison camps, and the communist takeover. It took Shanghai fifty years to recover.

Say Israel and Iran go to war with each other, and threats of nuclear bombs are being tossed about. What will the expats of Dubai do?

I for one, will be on the first plane back home.
And the award for furthest stretch of the imagination to try and justify a fairly weak example is......

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:41 pm
W10

What an idiot.
While Jenkins' article is pretentious in the extreme...quoting Shelley poems about glorious Egyptian dynasties...

It is fairly common knowledge that Dubai has/is a haven for the less desireable elements of this world. And plenty of dirty money passes through here. Remember that Dubai banks held the accounts for the 9/11 chaps...(we just don't mention it here) and that up until very recently, you could buy apartment buildings for cash with little or no paper trail.

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:17 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
While Jenkins' article is pretentious in the extreme...quoting Shelley poems about glorious Egyptian dynasties...

It is fairly common knowledge that Dubai has/is a haven for the less desireable elements of this world. And plenty of dirty money passes through here. Remember that Dubai banks held the accounts for the 9/11 chaps...(we just don't mention it here) and that up until very recently, you could buy apartment buildings for cash with little or no paper trail.
Agreed,
It is well known that entire floors were bought for cash and left to sit empty.
Dubai has long been a favourite destination for dirty cash
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Agreed,
It is well known that entire floors were bought for cash and left to sit empty.
Dubai has long been a favourite destination for dirty cash
I can tell you that a lot of floors sit empty simply because they haven't been sold (yep, still with developers who were hoping to cash in when prices went up another 200%)....and there are many borrowers who have bought entire floors/buildings and are currently in default...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.