Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:29 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

First Germaine Greer and her bus trip - now another Guardian diatribe against Dubai... get over it guys...

"I can only imagine that Dubai will one day be seen as a punctuation mark on the architectural follies of the past half century. This off-the-shelf city state has been built on laundering the profits of oil, drugs, arms and western aid. Its sheikh was not a complete fool, like comparable African and Latin American autocrats. He realised that city states cannot live on one product alone, unless it is money. Since he had no oil, he would drill for money."

Can Dubai sue for libel?!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ne-middle-east
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

Originally Posted by Autonomy
First Germaine Greer and her bus trip - now another Guardian diatribe against Dubai... get over it guys...

"I can only imagine that Dubai will one day be seen as a punctuation mark on the architectural follies of the past half century. This off-the-shelf city state has been built on laundering the profits of oil, drugs, arms and western aid. Its sheikh was not a complete fool, like comparable African and Latin American autocrats. He realised that city states cannot live on one product alone, unless it is money. Since he had no oil, he would drill for money."

Can Dubai sue for libel?!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ne-middle-east
why, is there a libellous comment in that quote?

I've read it three times and I can't see any issue with it..
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
why, is there a libellous comment in that quote?

I've read it three times and I can't see any issue with it..
I agree with it too.

It's not gloating - it's just refreshing to find a Western journo that recognises that the Emperor never actually had any clothes.............
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I agree with it too.

It's not gloating - it's just refreshing to find a Western journo that recognises that the Emperor never actually had any clothes.............
I disagree with your quote though, as surely the journo is just bandwagon jumping. Maybe he invested in jbr..
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:55 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

The piece by Simon Jenkins comes under the category "Comment is free" but, like so many newspapers including the Guardian now, there is an increasing trend not to allow the public to comment on such 'stories'.

'Tis a pity though, because public posts often challenge the 'facts' or weak arguments presented by such authors, and the public's posts are often far more interesting and enlightening than the original article.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:55 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I think he means the bit about the money laundering.

Where's DohaR by the way?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that he points out that there is histroical precedence for a city to fall into decline and urban decay:

http://www.seedetroit.com/pictures/urbandecay/

One wouldn't wish such a fate on Dubai, but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility.....
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
It's interesting that he points out that there is histroical precedence for a city to fall into decline and urban decay:

http://www.seedetroit.com/pictures/urbandecay/

One wouldn't wish such a fate on Dubai, but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility.....

The irony is that it´s more likely to happen to a number of UK cities that are really being squeezed relentlessly right now..and almost happened to a number of northern cities in the 80´s.

Dubai is first and foremost a trading port and financial hub, as long as the merchants and such are still in place all is well and all will be well.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:27 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
The irony is that it´s more likely to happen to a number of UK cities that are really being squeezed relentlessly right now..and almost happened to a number of northern cities in the 80´s.

Dubai is first and foremost a trading port and financial hub, as long as the merchants and such are still in place all is well and all will be well.
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with SYB, its not beyond the realms of possibility...

The vast majority of westerners are only aware of 2 'western-friendly' countries out here, Bahrain and the UAE (most folks in the west have never heard of Qatar and Oman..!!!). Right now, all they know is that there are rumblings coming out of Bahrain of serious internal conflicts between the Shia majority and the ruling Sunni minority.. Add to that the well-publicised restrictions on media reporting and the court cases that seem to fly in the face of the supposed open arms to the west, more and more people are starting to spend their tourist dollars away from the ME. That is seriously going to affect the Dubai master plan, trade or not...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting article, perhaps a bit extreme. But it does clearly point out that Dubai's future is far from asserted.

Shanghai was a fantastic boomtown in the 1920s and 1930s, when my grandfather lived there with his family (he was the expat brat of the day). As with Dubai, the westerners in Shanghai lived in large villas, had maids, cheap food, and a glamorous lifestyle when compared to the home countries. Shanghai, like China, had a great deal of promise that attracted many people from all over the world. There were the Russians, the prostitutions, the shady money-laundering characters, and the prim and proper Western families turning a blind eye to the teeming, overpopulated slums.

But crap happened.

The world is littered with cities that rose to great prominence in boom years, but sharply fell and essentially shuttered down when the economic, social and political forces changed. We're so used to stability in the West that the notion of a city completely changing, and rapidly at that, is foreign to us.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Interesting article, perhaps a bit extreme. But it does clearly point out that Dubai's future is far from asserted.

Shanghai was a fantastic boomtown in the 1920s and 1930s, when my grandfather lived there with his family (he was the expat brat of the day). As with Dubai, the westerners in Shanghai lived in large villas, had maids, cheap food, and a glamorous lifestyle when compared to the home countries. Shanghai, like China, had a great deal of promise that attracted many people from all over the world. There were the Russians, the prostitutions, the shady money-laundering characters, and the prim and proper Western families turning a blind eye to the teeming, overpopulated slums.

But crap happened.

The world is littered with cities that rose to great prominence in boom years, but sharply fell and essentially shuttered down when the economic, social and political forces changed. We're so used to stability in the West that the notion of a city completely changing, and rapidly at that, is foreign to us.

Erm, Shanghai of today seems to have fulfilled that vision...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Vicious and bitter article / comment on Dubai

QUOTE=Ethos83;7403527]The world is littered with cities that rose to great prominence in boom years, but sharply fell and essentially shuttered down when the economic, social and political forces changed.[/QUOTE] Should Palmira be Dubai's twin city then?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're forgetting the Japanese invasion, WWII, the rounding up of expats into prison camps, and the communist takeover. It took Shanghai fifty years to recover.

Say Israel and Iran go to war with each other, and threats of nuclear bombs are being tossed about. What will the expats of Dubai do?

I for one, will be on the first plane back home.

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
Erm, Shanghai of today seems to have fulfilled that vision...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're forgetting the Japanese invasion, WWII, the rounding up of expats into prison camps, and the communist takeover. It took Shanghai fifty years to recover.

Say Israel and Iran go to war with each other, and threats of nuclear bombs are being tossed about. What will the expats of Dubai do?

50 years is nothing, the expats of Dubai just temporary anyway...trade matters more than human conditions in the life of a city.

And I´ll sit tight despite war threats, that is how you make money.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stay here...Iranian rockets wont reach Israel, they'll explode over Lebanon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.