US School shooting

Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:05 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US School shooting

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Yeah and perhaps also ban the Toyota model he used to drive to the scene.

I thought for a moment that it was such a pity the shooter ended up dead. But then I remembered this was 'civilised' west and caught alive he would have ended up pampered in the cell with psychologist having endless discussions about his relationship with mum and all that costing the taxpayer millions. Or write letters complaining that his TV is taking up to 5 minutes to be switched on by guards like Breivik. Perhaps in the west it is better that shooters like that comit suicide at the end. I would much prefer the Middle East solution where he stays alive and spends weeks and months with balls connected to electrical power and rusty tools ending up lodged in various pats of his god damn body.
Actually, I thought in the USA, those on death row basically lived in dog cages or similar. It's the USA, not Norway.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 1:13 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Actually, I thought in the USA, those on death row basically lived in dog cages or similar. It's the USA, not Norway.
No they have normal cells. In any case their life isn't uncomfortable enough during the too long a period between the sentence and execution.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:36 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Kinder Eggs are banned in the USA.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

If someone or group is intent on killing they will find a way whether guns are available not. A knife would be the simplest way, a homemade bomb would certainly kill a lot more and turning an airplane into a missile...well, you get my point.

They should probably ban knives next. Here are 732 reasons why...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/knifecrime
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:36 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Yeah and perhaps also ban the Toyota model he used to drive to the scene.

I thought for a moment that it was such a pity the shooter ended up dead. But then I remembered this was 'civilised' west and caught alive he would have ended up pampered in the cell with psychologist having endless discussions about his relationship with mum and all that costing the taxpayer millions. Or write letters complaining that his TV is taking up to 5 minutes to be switched on by guards like Breivik. Perhaps in the west it is better that shooters like that comit suicide at the end. I would much prefer the Middle East solution where he stays alive and spends weeks and months with balls connected to electrical power and rusty tools ending up lodged in various pats of his god damn body.
He should have been in a mental hospital years ago...like so many of these lone nutters the system failed them. Taking guns away from people who are sane and wouldn't dream of using them off a target range or for hunting is like telling me I can't drive because my neighbour ran over children in his car.

A little bit more thinking and less reaction might help. Banning military grade weapons is not a bad idea...but long term they need to seriously look at the state of community mental health care in the US - these guns don't pick themselves up and start shooting. And without guns they would be in trucks, or using knives or home made bombs. Many day to day objects are lethal weapons...

N.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:17 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Reports say that since this shooting gun sales have gone UP.

I fail to see why anyone needs to own an assult rifle or an semi/automatic weapon. Rifles for hunting or if you live in the wilds and are troubled by bears/coyotes/etc stealing your animals, but it's all gone too far.

Interestingly, New York state has some of the stricted laws regarding gun ownership and possession. Violent crime in the city itself has reduced...
There are NRA members in both parties who support Assault rifle bans - I agree with them entirely. There are places you can go and shoot these guns but you can't take them home - that's how it should be. Home defense, sport shooting or hunting doesn't require heavy firepower. A 9mm will kill within 15m with just a few hours basic training.

Violent crime in the USA as a whole has been in decline since the 1990s. There are plenty of places in the states with very high gun ownership rates and low crime (lower than many parts of the UK). It has far more to do with cultural and socio-economic factors than simply restricting firearms.

For example, in states with concealed carry permits street crimes have gone down. Rapes by strangers have gone down too. Places with high legal firearms rates have lower burglary rates in general. Places that enact and enforce strict training and storage of firearms (like we do in England - where we have literally hundreds of thousands of legal weapons, or Switzerland where most homes have military grade rifles by law) have lower crime and lower gun crime.

In many parts of the US people keep guns to protect themselves and their homes from criminals who don't give a hoot about what guns are banned or not...in rich major cities (like New York) this is less a problem as there are more police at hand to protect citizens (along with a generally better educated population in the first place). That's not the case in small and medium size towns or poorer areas where it's a long drive to the nearest police station. The police in those places will often tell people to keep a gun at home because they can't be everywhere at once.

It's not an easy debate, and I feel going after legal firearms training and storage legislation alongside more commitment to mental health care (and spotting the warning signs) will reduce gun deaths in the US far more than blanket bans. As mentioned, violent crime in the US has been going down for over a decade...

N.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

I kinda agree with Norm, the bigger issues lie with the failures in the system BEFORE this guy had a chance to act, I'm sure the vast majority of the 10k+ shooting in the US were not carried out by licensed weapon holders and there are a large number of factors at play.

After what happened in Norway you can throw stats out the window it seems.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:25 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
There are NRA members in both parties who support Assault rifle bans - I agree with them entirely. There are places you can go and shoot these guns but you can't take them home - that's how it should be. Home defense, sport shooting or hunting doesn't require heavy firepower. A 9mm will kill within 15m with just a few hours basic training.

Violent crime in the USA as a whole has been in decline since the 1990s. There are plenty of places in the states with very high gun ownership rates and low crime (lower than many parts of the UK). It has far more to do with cultural and socio-economic factors than simply restricting firearms.

For example, in states with concealed carry permits street crimes have gone down. Rapes by strangers have gone down too. Places with high legal firearms rates have lower burglary rates in general. Places that enact and enforce strict training and storage of firearms (like we do in England - where we have literally hundreds of thousands of legal weapons, or Switzerland where most homes have military grade rifles by law) have lower crime and lower gun crime.

In many parts of the US people keep guns to protect themselves and their homes from criminals who don't give a hoot about what guns are banned or not...in rich major cities (like New York) this is less a problem as there are more police at hand to protect citizens (along with a generally better educated population in the first place). That's not the case in small and medium size towns or poorer areas where it's a long drive to the nearest police station. The police in those places will often tell people to keep a gun at home because they can't be everywhere at once.

It's not an easy debate, and I feel going after legal firearms training and storage legislation alongside more commitment to mental health care (and spotting the warning signs) will reduce gun deaths in the US far more than blanket bans. As mentioned, violent crime in the US has been going down for over a decade...

N.
Agree with this. The availability of assault rifles is crazy.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting opinion piece in the New York Times today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/op...cket.html?_r=0

"A few clicks on the N.R.A. Web site lead you to the type of weapons the group wants to protect from regulation. Many are not needed for hunting pheasants or deer. They are used for hunting people. They have firepower unimaginable to the founding fathers who drafted the Second Amendment, firepower that could wipe out an entire kindergarten classroom in a few minutes, as we saw so tragically last week."
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:26 am
Just Joined

adalinaabella is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Gug Law is one of the important topic which we will have to discusses on this.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:42 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Reports say that since this shooting gun sales have gone UP.

I fail to see why anyone needs to own an assult rifle or an semi/automatic weapon. Rifles for hunting or if you live in the wilds and are troubled by bears/coyotes/etc stealing your animals, but it's all gone too far.

Interestingly, New York state has some of the stricted laws regarding gun ownership and possession. Violent crime in the city itself has reduced...
NY violent crime has reduced, well yes. Totally ignored is that US Violent crime rates have been falling since the 1970's, and that includes the latest massacre. All without New York City's strict laws. Don't believe me look it up with the F.B.I.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine

It's crazy the effects of a nice prison may have on criminals.

New flat in a norwegian prison for families to enjoy some alone time.