British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   under what circumstance... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/under-what-circumstance-676185/)

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 4:41 pm

under what circumstance...

...would you feel the need to take your helper with you when you were taking one child to the doctor...

i just don't get these people...with shopping, i can, maybe, half see it, though wouldn't do it myself unless i was taking my helper to buy something specific for her, but the bleedin doctor, can't you even take your kid on your own...geez...

MM, xx

ps, sorry, i know this is probably more suitable for ew...

Grace O Malley Jul 11th 2010 4:45 pm

Re: under what circumstance...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8693955)
...would you feel the need to take your helper with you when you were taking one child to the doctor...

i just don't get these people...with shopping, i can, maybe, half see it, though wouldn't do it myself unless i was taking my helper to buy something specific for her, but the bleedin doctor, can't you even take your kid on your own...geez...

MM, xx

Not a normal MM post!

On a different note, watched the tudors, thought it was somewhat better than season 3. I have a new pin up, Duke of Suffolk, gorgeoussssss

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8693963)
Not a normal MM post!

On a different note, watched the tudors, thought it was somewhat better than season 3. I have a new pin up, Duke of Suffolk, gorgeoussssss

i know, it's just i had to take my 5 year old for injections today and while we were waiting this woman waltzed in, helper stuggling behind with this 2 year old in a pram, lugging all the bags etc, and i just wondered why anyone would take thier helper with them...

nah, only had eyes for henry...dodgy accents do something for me, lol...

MM, xx

kittycat1 Jul 11th 2010 4:57 pm

I'm guessing because they are lazy arses who have forgotten they have the ability to carry their own bags and can't be doing with the hassle of looking after their own kids. :unsure: personally i don't see whats wrong with locking the kids in the closet under the stairs whilst you go out.

;)

Autonomy Jul 11th 2010 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8693983)
I'm guessing because they are lazy arses who have forgotten they have the ability to carry their own bags and can't be doing with the hassle of looking after their own kids. :unsure: personally i don't see whats wrong with locking the kids in the closet under the stairs whilst you go out.

;)

the maid and the children in that small space.... terrible.... ;)

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8693983)

;)

must be...but going to the doctor you do think would be the one thing they could manage...ah well...

MM, xx

kittycat1 Jul 11th 2010 5:02 pm

don't be daft the maid would be doing my long list of chores and would then be locked away in the attic with a bowl of greul and a bucket to pee in.

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8693988)
the maid and the children in that small space.... terrible.... ;)

thing is, that's probably not that far from the truth for some people...loads of people apparently have the maids sleep on the floor of their kids room, it just beggars belief...

MM, xx

Patsy Stoned Jul 11th 2010 5:06 pm

Maybe she was taking the maid to see the doctor and had to bring the child along!:D

Grace O Malley Jul 11th 2010 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8694000)
thing is, that's probably not that far from the truth for some people...loads of people apparently have the maids sleep on the floor of their kids room, it just beggars belief...

MM, xx

but more importantly are they allowed to use the pool

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8694006)
Maybe she was taking the maid to see the doctor and had to bring the child along!:D

nah, i thought that to start...but the kid was there for injections too...

MM, xx

Patsy Stoned Jul 11th 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8694012)

my maid is not allowed to use my pool :)

kittycat1 Jul 11th 2010 5:09 pm

only to clean it Grace! and perhaps to check the temperature is satisfactory.

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8694012)

i don't think they are allowed out of the house...but probably ok to supervise kids swimming in the pool from the side, even though they don't swim...

MM, xx

Patsy Stoned Jul 11th 2010 5:11 pm

I have a pool in my villa.not a community pool. My maid is not allowed to use my pool

kittycat1 Jul 11th 2010 5:12 pm

Why not Patsy? Does she pee in it?

Patsy Stoned Jul 11th 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8694029)
Why not Patsy? Does she pee in it?

No..she can't swim! :)

kittycat1 Jul 11th 2010 5:19 pm

ah ok that makes sense then!

Grace O Malley Jul 11th 2010 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8694036)

lol

Grace O Malley Jul 11th 2010 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8694023)
i don't think they are allowed out of the house...but probably ok to supervise kids swimming in the pool from the side, even though they don't swim...

MM, xx

ha ha, supervise the kids, yet they cant swim, heavens forbid

busybee2 Jul 11th 2010 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8694025)
I have a pool in my villa.not a community pool. My maid is not allowed to use my pool

in your villa, what, couldnt you walk outside in barsha?:rofl:

Patsy Stoned Jul 11th 2010 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8694089)
in your villa, what, couldnt you walk outside in barsha?:rofl:

no darling far too hot outside.:D Actually the locals next door to me do have an indoor pool. :)

Morecambe Mindy Jul 11th 2010 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8693955)

MM, xx

Hmmm under no circumstance I could think of, but then again I don't have one, so would be impossible anyway!

My jaw always hits the floor when I see "madams" in Spinneys with their helpers trotting along behind holding the basket or pushing the trolley.

busybee2 Jul 11th 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8694101)
no darling far too hot outside.:D Actually the locals next door to me do have an indoor pool. :)

ooooh yes too hot.... yeh i know of houses with indoor pools in kca too.

Brains1983 Jul 11th 2010 7:35 pm

Dunno what sort of answer your looking for, but if people feel the need to have help around the house for cleaning, cooking, looking after/bringing their kids up, shopping (all the things that the majority of people do for themselves in the western world), what's the difference in them coming to the docs with a child they have likely spent a lot of time with?

lullabelle Jul 11th 2010 8:18 pm

When I lived in Richmond (the London one) the nannies used to take the kids to playgroups etc and the mums would trot along behind them and sit in the corner drinking coffee. You'd also see them walking along, wandering around the shops etc with the nannies pushing the prams. I couldn't see the point myself - surely you have a nanny so you could be doing something else?

When I got back to heathrow 2 weeks ago here was a family going through departures with their luggage on a trolley with the mum saying VERY loudly "we're just going to have to manage ourselves for a few minutes then the lovely etihad driver will help us. We've no maid and no driver but we'll be fine" or words to that effect.

She was only pushing a trolley!

Mind you, give me a few months. Not having any experience of "help" I'll probable end up like one of those women who make the maid polish her kids knees or something.

Madam Medusa Jul 12th 2010 4:00 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 8694278)
When I lived in Richmond (the London one) the nannies used to take the kids to playgroups etc and the mums would trot along behind them and sit in the corner drinking coffee. You'd also see them walking along, wandering around the shops etc with the nannies pushing the prams. I couldn't see the point myself - surely you have a nanny so you could be doing something else?

When I got back to heathrow 2 weeks ago here was a family going through departures with their luggage on a trolley with the mum saying VERY loudly "we're just going to have to manage ourselves for a few minutes then the lovely etihad driver will help us. We've no maid and no driver but we'll be fine" or words to that effect.

She was only pushing a trolley!

Mind you, give me a few months. Not having any experience of "help" I'll probable end up like one of those women who make the maid polish her kids knees or something.

i live in richmond, well kew, and have never, ever seen a nanny at a playgroup or walking round the shops...how odd...

MM, xx

Ethos83 Jul 12th 2010 6:56 am

Why do people care what others do with their maids? If she's already cleaning up your shit and ironing your clothes at your villa .... what's drastic about the leap from that to pushing the trolley at Spinney's?

commander Jul 12th 2010 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8694036)

heh heh

soukie Jul 12th 2010 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 8694190)
Hmmm under no circumstance I could think of, but then again I don't have one, so would be impossible anyway!

My jaw always hits the floor when I see "madams" in Spinneys with their helpers trotting along behind holding the basket or pushing the trolley.

Yes I know what you mean and I always wonder what the "madams" will do when they return back to their semis in UK. I suppose they can shop on line and get the little man to deliver it to them.

Morecambe Mindy Jul 12th 2010 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8695167)
Why do people care what others do with their maids? If she's already cleaning up your shit and ironing your clothes at your villa .... what's drastic about the leap from that to pushing the trolley at Spinney's?

Well then send them to Spinneys with a list, not have them trotting 5 steps behind you like some kind of fashion accessory.

Madam Medusa Jul 12th 2010 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 8695373)
Well then send them to Spinneys with a list, not have them trotting 5 steps behind you like some kind of fashion accessory.

yeah, exactly, this is what i don't get, why they need to go as well...it's when madam points out to stuff on the shelves and the helper has to get it and put it in the trolley that really cracks me up...

MM, xx

Bahtatboy Jul 12th 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8695379)
yeah, exactly, this is what i don't get, why they need to go as well...it's when madam points out to stuff on the shelves and the helper has to get it and put it in the trolley that really cracks me up...

MM, xx

You've been watching me in Tesco's, haven't you? (I'm the one pushing the trolley and getting the stuff from the shelves.) I am allowed days off occasionally, have my own room, get an allowance and get to shag the maid now and again (yeah, I know, I'm the maid--if you get my drift). Still, I am from the Third World, aka Yorkshire.

Welivehere Jul 12th 2010 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 8695373)

Not too sure too many of them drive???

It's part and parcel of where we are, people have domestic help, as long as that person is adequately remunerated and the task is not one that, if push became shove, you would not be willing to do yourself I see no harm in it.

I don't see the difference between this and other tasks that people are capable of doing here but some-one else does for you like cleaning the car, filling the car up a service station, packing your shopping etc etc ....

I not saying it something I would do but if others choose to take a maid to the shops or doctors I don't see why that would be cause for bewilderment...

Morecambe Mindy Jul 12th 2010 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 8695411)
Not too sure too many of them drive???

It's part and parcel of where we are, people have domestic help, as long as that person is adequately remunerated and the task is not one that, if push became shove, you would not be willing to do yourself I see no harm in it.

I don't see the difference between this and other tasks that people are capable of doing here but some-one else does for you like cleaning the car, filling the car up a service station, packing your shopping etc etc ....

I not saying it something I would do but if others choose to take a maid to the shops or doctors I don't see why that would be cause for bewilderment...

The difference is, if you are there anyway why do you need to take your maid when you can easily carry your own basket/push your own trolley.

Alternatively, you could always drive the maid to the shops and sit and have a coffee whilst the maid does the shopping.

It is just taking having a maid a stage too far in my opinion and just appears bloody showy.

What next, wiping madam's bum?

Ethos83 Jul 12th 2010 9:54 am

Our Lady Medusa drives around in a Range Rover and is complaining about people taking maids to the shop?

Grace O Malley Jul 12th 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8695457)
Our Lady Medusa drives around in a Range Rover and is complaining about people taking maids to the shop?

and some of the guys on here drive around in high end sports cars and ?

Welivehere Jul 12th 2010 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 8695434)
The difference is, if you are there anyway why do you need to take your maid when you can easily carry your own basket/push your own trolley.

Along with two kids and pushchair... Not always easy.... Spose you could leave the kids with the maid but then you get the whole "why have kids if you aren't willing to spend time with them" brigade on your back.....

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 8695434)
It is just taking having a maid a stage too far in my opinion and just appears bloody showy.

And in my opinion sometimes it may be that practicality and convenience wins over....

I am just playing devils advocate here but if you have employed (bearing in mind they do get paid for this) some-one to help make your life easier why would you not take advantge of that .....

Madam Medusa Jul 12th 2010 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8695457)

hmmm...you keeping tabs on me, lol...

i wasn't actually complaining about people taking maids to shops though, it was asking why anyone would take their maid with their kid to the doctor...

the shopping thing i don't really get either, but that wasn't my point...

MM, xx

Madam Medusa Jul 12th 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8695399)
You've been watching me in Tesco's, haven't you?

hahaha, i thought you seemed vaguely familiar...

MM, xx