British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   under what circumstance... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/under-what-circumstance-676185/)

Bahtatboy Jul 11th 2010 10:19 pm

Re: under what circumstance...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8695513)
hahaha, i thought you seemed vaguely familiar...

MM, xx

Oh, YOU were the one I was being familiar with...;)

Welivehere Jul 11th 2010 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8695511)
hmmm...you keeping tabs on me, lol...

i wasn't actually complaining about people taking maids to shops though, it was asking why anyone would take their maid with their kid to the doctor...

the shopping thing i don't really get either, but that wasn't my point...

MM, xx

Because depending on ages handling more than one child at a doctors can be a handful ....

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 8695529)
Because depending on ages handling more than one child at a doctors can be a handful ....

but the point was she only had ONE child...i was there on my own "managing to manage" two kids...

MM, xx

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8695522)
Oh, YOU were the one I was being familiar with...;)

yes, i'm still recovering...

MM, xx

Morecambe Mindy Jul 11th 2010 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 8695505)
Along with two kids and pushchair... Not always easy.... Spose you could leave the kids with the maid but then you get the whole "why have kids if you aren't willing to spend time with them" brigade on your back.....

And in my opinion sometimes it may be that practicality and convenience wins over....

I am just playing devils advocate here but if you have employed (bearing in mind they do get paid for this) some-one to help make your life easier why would you not take advantge of that .....

I have three children myself, one of whom is in a pushchair and I do manage to get them to the shops sometimes on my own, and don't think a maid pushing the trolley for me would make it any less of a nightmare! I would much rather have the maid do the shopping on her own or do it myself without the kids, having the maid look after them.

Fair enough if you're of ill health and can't manage to push a trolley or carry a basket yourself, but if you are able-bodied it just looks so bloody precious to have the maid trotting behind ... sorry, but it does, never mind the arguments about her being paid and all.

Meow Jul 11th 2010 10:39 pm

This is just like EW. See what you have started MM!!
-

Madam Medusa Jul 11th 2010 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8695564)
This is just like EW. See what you have started MM!!
-

i know, i'm sorry... :o

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Jul 11th 2010 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 8695529)

but how would they manage in the UK or wherever? They would do it on their own, like so many mothers do in the UK unless they are lucky enough to have a family member living close by, but not everyone has their family close by and def the average person in the UK could not afford full time help.

I am not against anyone having a maid here, its part of the culture, its cheap, you have a built in babysitter etc etc.

But it does make me laugh when they are paraded to spinneys or the doctors as MM and others have said.

soukie Jul 11th 2010 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8695574)

But it does make me laugh when they are paraded to spinneys or the doctors as MM and others have said.

:rofl::rofl:Haven't you heard of status symbols ?

Bahtatboy Jul 11th 2010 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 8695658)
:rofl::rofl:Haven't you heard of status symbols ?

Why not move up-market (a bit)? I'm very good with kids, can change a nappy, scrub up quite well (suit and tie, or jacket and open-neck shirt, your choice), don't fiddle with myself too much in public, have my own car and am usually free in the evenings and at weekends. I can even do the butler look, far better than a mere maid. Payment in kind.

Meow Jul 11th 2010 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8695741)
Why not move up-market (a bit)? I'm very good with kids, can change a nappy, scrub up quite well (suit and tie, or jacket and open-neck shirt, your choice), don't fiddle with myself too much in public, have my own car and am usually free in the evenings and at weekends. I can even do the butler look, far better than a mere maid. Payment in kind.

Apparently, in certain circles, a manny is quite the thing...

-

Welivehere Jul 12th 2010 12:14 am

My confusion, and maybe i am missing the point, is that I just don't see why it is so bewildering that some-one you pay to make your life simpler by cooking, cleaning etc wouldn't then be used to help shop, go out, visit the doctors etc. I just don't see the difference is apart from one is at home and one is out?

Patsy Stoned Jul 12th 2010 1:49 am

Tess goes shopping on her own, she runs my house so she knows what I need.

I work from 6am to 7.30 pm so I don't have time to do (grown up :D) shopping.

I do essential shopping (shoes/clothes/etc) on Thursdays and I can do that on my own :)

wallydug Jul 13th 2010 5:44 pm

Pools, villas, maids.....I`d guess most of you lot wouldn`t have a pot to piss in if you lived in the UK.

Wally.

Welivehere Jul 13th 2010 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by wallydug (Post 8700303)
I`d guess

And that's all it can be .... :rolleyes:

DeadVim Jul 13th 2010 6:00 pm

Pools, villas, maids.....I`d guess most of you lot wouldn`t have a pot to piss in if you lived in the UK.

Wally.

If they did then they'd need a helper to wipe/shake afterwards.

I'd love to live the "hard" bits of my life by proxy, it would make me such a better person ...

Meow Jul 13th 2010 7:37 pm

Wally.

Rarely is a poster more aptly named

Bahtatboy Jul 13th 2010 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8700501)
Rarely is a poster more aptly named

Ooooh, miaow Meow;)

Patsy Stoned Jul 13th 2010 9:01 pm

Wally.

I don't live in the UK, I have not lived in the UK for over 20 years, I have no intention of living in the UK again BUT when I did live in the UK I certainly had a "pot to piss in" and a fulltime cleaner and a gardener, 2 kitchen porters plus 5 chefs, 6 bar staff and 10 waiting staff :D

Ethos83 Jul 13th 2010 9:20 pm

Wally.

You forgot the 4x4.

soukie Jul 13th 2010 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8700641)
You forgot the 4x4.

and the Blackberry......

Hello.Kitty Jul 13th 2010 10:05 pm

I love the complete meltdown that some go into at the prospect of going on holiday with the kids and *no maid*... How will we manage?! Can we not take her?!

Anyhow, maybe some mums feel that these shopping trips/ outings with the maid in tow are part of their "quality time" with their children... even if the brood is 5 paces behind and in the care of the helper.

commander Jul 13th 2010 10:10 pm

I love the EW...'but the maid enjoys hanging out with me and shopping with me'

No she ****ing doesnt, she hates you, your snotty little shit kids, your pompous fat bastard of a husband who secretly horbors a desire to **** her. The need for you to use her as some sort of status symbol to your overweight fat useless coffee club bored wifes.

****ing pathetic..

ps i have a maid.:D

Bahtatboy Jul 13th 2010 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8700725)
I love the EW...'but the maid enjoys hanging out with me and shopping with me'

No she ****ing doesnt, she hates you, your snotty little shit kids, your pompous fat bastard of a husband who secretly horbors a desire to **** her. The need for you to use her as some sort of status symbol to your overweight fat useless coffee club bored wifes.

****ing pathetic..

ps i have a maid.:D

Do you horbor her?

Ronnie Biggs Jul 15th 2010 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8693955)
...would you feel the need to take your helper with you when you were taking one child to the doctor...

i just don't get these people...with shopping, i can, maybe, half see it, though wouldn't do it myself unless i was taking my helper to buy something specific for her, but the bleedin doctor, can't you even take your kid on your own...geez...

MM, xx

ps, sorry, i know this is probably more suitable for ew...

So, if they were going somewhere else afterwards (maybe joining you in the queue to buy your maids a present), should the woman you saw at the doctors have left her maid in the car for an hour? Hard to call without knowing any of the details, no?

Madam Medusa Jul 15th 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 8705243)
So, if they were going somewhere else afterwards (maybe joining you in the queue to buy your maids a present), should the woman you saw at the doctors have left her maid in the car for an hour? Hard to call without knowing any of the details, no?

yeah, that's obviously it...and the mum must have hurt her arms which is why the maid was giving the kid its drink and snack and entertaining it whilst they waited...whilst mum sat there reading a magazine...

MM, xx

Ronnie Biggs Jul 16th 2010 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8705250)
yeah, that's obviously it...and the mum must have hurt her arms which is why the maid was giving the kid its drink and snack and entertaining it whilst they waited...whilst mum sat there reading a magazine...

MM, xx

Yep - thank god you were there to cast a disparaging eye before returning home to post it on the internet, perhaps as your maid looked after your kids and cooked your dinner. Assumption's a bitch eh?

Madam Medusa Jul 16th 2010 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 8706116)
Yep - thank god you were there to cast a disparaging eye before returning home to post it on the internet, perhaps as your maid looked after your kids and cooked your dinner. Assumption's a bitch eh?

ahhh...it was your wife, eh...

MM, xx

Patsy Stoned Jul 16th 2010 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 8706116)

Darling do try and read the posts.. MM already said that she was at the Dr's WITH her 2 kids on her own!!

but the point was she only had ONE child...i was there on my own "managing to manage" two kids...
MM, xx

Assumption is indeed a bitch!!!

Patsy Stoned Jul 16th 2010 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8706182)

MM, xx

:rofl::rofl:

Millhouse Jul 16th 2010 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8700613)
I don't live in the UK, I have not lived in the UK for over 20 years, I have no intention of living in the UK again BUT when I did live in the UK I certainly had a "pot to piss in" and a fulltime cleaner and a gardener, 2 kitchen porters plus 5 chefs, 6 bar staff and 10 waiting staff :D

you managed a pub?

Ronnie Biggs Jul 16th 2010 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8706182)

MM, xx

Hahaha - yeah her other maid was pushing the trolley for me in Spinneys... ;)

Ronnie Biggs Jul 16th 2010 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8706195)
Darling do try and read the posts.. MM already said that she was at the Dr's WITH her 2 kids on her own!!

MM, xx

No shit Sherlock! Read my post again too..... :)

commander Jul 16th 2010 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8706195)

MM, xx

managing 2 kids, what a supermum:D

Madam Medusa Jul 16th 2010 4:27 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8706381)
managing 2 kids, what a supermum:D

i know, i know...all that and work too...

MM, xx

commander Jul 16th 2010 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8706401)
i know, i know...all that and work too...

MM, xx

exactly. a modern woman. And i bet you squeeze your own oranges also..fnar fnar

I still piss myself at the thought of Stoli's maid shuffling around her gaff with high heels on, breaking them in for her..

Madam Medusa Jul 16th 2010 4:43 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8706428)
exactly. a modern woman. And i bet you squeeze your own oranges also..fnar fnar

nah, i buy my orange juice at spinneys, lol...

MM, xx

commander Jul 16th 2010 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8706461)
nah, i buy my orange juice at spinneys, lol...

MM, xx

your maid fetches it surely?

Madam Medusa Jul 16th 2010 4:47 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8706479)
your maid fetches it surely?

nope...

MM, xx

Millhouse Jul 16th 2010 5:04 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8706428)

I still piss myself at the thought of Stoli's maid shuffling around her gaff with high heels on, breaking them in for her..

serious? I though it was bad that we make her warm the toilet seats before we use them.