Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'

UK schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'

Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:11 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'

Originally Posted by W10
Yes - why not leave it up to the parents and the newspapers to educate them...sure to increase tolerance
Why not legislate against the indoctrination, persuasion or magic tricks until kids reach an age that they can think for themselves. After all, some people's idea of religion can be as harmful as buying fags............
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:26 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
Yes - why not leave it up to the parents and the newspapers to educate them...sure to increase tolerance
I'd vote for that any day....
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:30 am
W10

I refer you to my preivous point, as you haven't actually addressed it.

If you don't give a broad education then by the time they are 'old enough' they've been taught by their parents and the media.

Religious education in primary schools is bascially about giving an overview to try and arm children with a little knowledge about customs and practices so they don't seem 'weird'. I know they do it at plenty of schools in London (celebrate chinese new year, hanika, diwali, noruz, christmas, ramadan and eid and use it as way to educate and teach that there is nothing scary)

In a broadly secular country, I don't see anything wrong with that

Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:38 am

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10

If you don't give a broad education then by the time they are 'old enough' they've been taught by their parents and the media.

Religious education in primary schools is bascially about giving an overview to try and arm children with a little knowledge about customs and practices so they don't seem 'weird'. I know they do it at plenty of schools in London (celebrate chinese new year, hanika, diwali, noruz, christmas, ramadan and eid and use it as way to educate and teach that there is nothing scary)

Neither do I, actually as a parent myself I encouraged the natural curiosity of my daughter to find out what it's all about. I myself am an none believer, but if my daughter would have chosen a religion I would have accepted that.

Dutchie
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

This is the point i was getting at and completely agree. Unfortunately not all parents are great and will have their own views which will and does pass down to their children...

All we have to do is read some of the crap that has come out recently on these boards to see that not all kids would have a hope in hell of trying to understand other religions...

I do agree though that enforcing participation in pray etc even if it is for learning purposes is crossing the line, i can see why parents would be angry about that.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:48 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beard Man
would the UK accept to give scotland full independency ? (lets not talk about the other parts of UK that england occupied long time ago (and still under UK)
Yes. All leaders of the major UK political parties said they would not stand in the way if the Scottish people chose independence.

The decision lies with the Scottish people alone as they are sovereign in Scotland, whereas in England it is the parliament that is sovereign and not the people.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Yes. All leaders of the major UK political parties said they would not stand in the way if the Scottish people chose independence.

The decision lies with the Scottish people alone as they are sovereign in Scotland, whereas in England it is the parliament that is sovereign and not the people.

This is currently being blasted out in 'Take it outside'. Probably best it stays there BMan.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:56 pm

Then I can put my bumper sticker on the car "Vivre Le Scotland".

Last edited by Dutchie; Jul 30th 2008 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:59 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Bit early MacScot...Moon's not out yet!!!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:03 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dutchie
The I can put my bumper sticker on the car "Vivre Le Scotland".
...or this one !!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:04 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
This is currently being blasted out in 'Take it outside'. Probably best it stays there BMan.
Sorry...don't blame BM.

It was my fault for selectively quoting part of a long answer he gave to Norm_UK...I was just providing an answer to that specific question only.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:04 pm

...or this one !!
If you explain to an inferior human being what that means? (Just quoting someone's PM message to me)
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:06 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by Dutchie
If you explain to an inferior human being what that means? (Just quoting someone's PM message to me)
...thought you'd know a little French..j'adore Ecosse (I love Scotland)???

or has that gone over my head ?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:08 pm

Nope, don't master French, but as long as Scotland is given back to whom it belongs? The Scots... I agree.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:09 pm

Looking at a house not far from Bathgate in the countryside. Seriously thinking of making an offer on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.