Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'

UK schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'

Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:54 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'

I really, really, really hope this is not true:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2247...-Allah%27.html

But sadly it would not surprise me...just another step to the UK's continued path back to the Middle Ages.

N.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK schoolboys disciplined for 'refusing to pray to Allah'

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

But sadly it would not surprise me...just another step to the UK's continued path back to the Middle Ages.

N.
If you read the article, you will see that it was not a religious requirement. The teacher was only demonstrating the practice to her students. I have no idea what all the fuss is about. Similar to the teacher here who asked children to draw a picture of God and received a similar outburst. Over-reaction all round.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:20 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
I like a story that starts off with 'It was claimed...'
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:24 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
If you read the article, you will see that it was not a religious requirement. The teacher was only demonstrating the practice to her students. I have no idea what all the fuss is about. Similar to the teacher here who asked children to draw a picture of God and received a similar outburst. Over-reaction all round.
to be fair, it seems that it was some sort of role play, probably trying to edicate them that Muslim isn't a dirty word, which it is in the UK, a few refused and got detention,

then as soon as the telegraph gets a hold bobs your uncle, here's another 'oh no! crazy muslims!' story.

I'm not religious at all, but if they have RE then what's the problem showing them other religions?

Sounds like a storm in a teacup to me, typical right wing tory anti muslim bollocks.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I actually agree with the article on this ocassion.
nobody should be forced to do that. Can you imagine the outcry here if Muslim children were disciplined for not taking part in a mock Holy Communion!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
nobody should be forced to do that. Can you imagine the outcry here if Muslim children were disciplined for not taking part in a mock Holy Communion!
Exactly.it would never happen.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:40 am
why ayeeeee man!

aye but the Uk isn't particularly religios though is it? It's a very free country, nothing like here.

It's more anti muslim shite, simple as that, and a load of people read it and think it's gospel, never stop to think or question what's been written, if these idiot readers read the same thing over and over again they'll just believe it no matter what.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I would object to it equally if it was kids in England being forced to do any religious mock service, be it Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc...

School is no place for religion!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

it is odd that only the Telegraph plus right-leaning tabloids (Mail, Star...) seem to have carried it (it was a few weeks back now)

Then again, perhaps the clue is in the name of the school
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

The Daily Heil ran this story a few weeks ago, and it is what you expect from them.

I fully support teaching all religions in school side by side, it is the only way to truly demonstrate all the contradictions of them.

As someone once said "Teach a child one religion, and you indoctrinate. Teach them all religions and you innoculate"
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:52 am
why ayeeeee man!

I would object to it equally if it was kids in England being forced to do any religious mock service, be it Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc...

School is no place for religion!
it was a role playing thing, trying to expand the kids minds and show them whats out there, fair enough they shouldn't have forced them, but I can't see the big deal - just more rubbish as soon as you mention the word 'Muslim' in the UK, loads of stupid fat sun readers hopping up and down and talking uneducated shite.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
The Daily Heil ran this story a few weeks ago, and it is what you expect from them.

I fully support teaching all religions in school side by side, it is the only way to truly demonstrate all the contradictions of them.

As someone once said "Teach a child one religion, and you indoctrinate. Teach them all religions and you innoculate"
Hmmm...

firstly, teaching religions is one thing... actually taking part in rituals is quite another.

secondly, teaching if done well, can be useful as you suggest but, AIUI, it is usually done appallingly. As an example, when i was at school, I remember being shocked at how the 'caste system' was described. This was way back before I know better myself and was able to contradict what was taught.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:58 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by jvr20
Hmmm...

firstly, teaching religions is one thing... actually taking part in rituals is quite another.

secondly, teaching if done well, can be useful as you suggest but, AIUI, it is usually done appallingly. As an example, when i was at school, I remember being shocked at how the 'caste system' was described. This was way back before I know better myself and was able to contradict what was taught.
how was it described?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Spugsy
it was a role playing thing, trying to expand the kids minds and show them whats out there, fair enough they shouldn't have forced them, but I can't see the big deal - just more rubbish as soon as you mention the word 'Muslim' in the UK, loads of stupid fat sun readers hopping up and down and talking uneducated shite.
that is exactly the point though. they did force them to do it.

when I did O'Level RS one girl was allowed to opt out of it on religious grounds because she was a Mormon or something like that. Yet I was not able to opt out as an atheist!

Religion should be completely removed from all functions of the state and that includes education!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:11 am
why ayeeeee man!

that is exactly the point though. they did force them to do it.

when I did O'Level RS one girl was allowed to opt out of it on religious grounds because she was a Mormon or something like that. Yet I was not able to opt out as an atheist!

Religion should be completely removed from all functions of the state and that includes education!
well it's bad teaching, not a muslim thing though - and if they'd forced her to join in sports or ****ing sewing or somethingit wouldn't be in the telegraph would it? But as soon as the word 'muslim' appears they are straight onto it.

And yeah, it does seem a waste of time, my parents made me go to church every single week until I was 10 then gave me the choice of still going, and apart from the odd wedding I've never been back, (and all my mates were playing football or going to karate or whatever - bah!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.