Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK Immigration Gets Tough

UK Immigration Gets Tough

Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Immigration Gets Tough

Originally Posted by mentalist
The second well publicised case in only a few days. It seems that I may not be able to take my family home with me either, unless I get a reasonably well paid job first. Does anybody know what the savings option requirements are nowadays? Oh well, other EU countries are required by law to allow spouses of Euro citizens to stay, so maybe it's not all doom and gloom.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...isa-rules.html
would you not be better considering Kenya?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:06 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Oh well, other EU countries are required by law to allow spouses of Euro citizens to stay[/url]
Nope - I know many Dutch guys who married Indonesian / Thai wives who have to apply for visas every time they go "home"
Old Mar 29th 2013, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh............. don't you just long for the good old days when a white Anglo-Saxon British-born male married a white Anglo-Saxon British-born female.....?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
Ahhhhh............. don't you just long for the good old days when a white Anglo-Saxon British-born male married a white Anglo-Saxon British-born female.....?
Bloody anglo-saxon immigrants!
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It all went wrong when those Romans started coming here !
Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Seems everyone has to pay for the phenomena of certain groups of immigrants only marrying people from their home country and bringing their extended families over, many of whom get benefits and are a burden on the country.

Trouble is the Government can't be seen to target particular groups or they will be called racist so everyone suffers. My missus works in a bank and will probably earn more than me in a few years...I'll let her save for this before I move back

They could be a bit more flexible with the financial requirements...particularly for indigenous Brits (if we're still allowed to call the ethnic majority that of course) who are working professionals marrying other working professionals. Surely the country needs more get up and go types and less of the kind who rely on benefits?

N.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by scot47
It all went wrong when those Romans started coming here !
Yeah! What have the Romans ever done for us?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:04 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Bloody anglo-saxon immigrants!
The Saxons took over most of the main island with less than 1% of the settled natives (who for the most part have been there since at least the Ice Ages). They were absorbed into the population but changed the language, legal system and culture within a few centuries.

I can see why some people get arsey over even small amounts of immigration...10% or so in the last 50 years as we probably have now is literally unprecedented in the history of the British Isles.

N.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yeah! What have the Romans ever done for us?
Maybe we can sue Italy for their crimes against our ancestors. A lot of native groups and descendants of slaves seem to think they can blame people generations after the fact - we need the money so why not?

I want marble from Rome as my compensation...will put it over the fireplace so I have something civilised to lean against when I am drunk.

N.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:07 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Seems everyone has to pay for the phenomena of certain groups of immigrants only marrying people from their home country and bringing their extended families over, many of whom get benefits and are a burden on the country.

Trouble is the Government can't be seen to target particular groups or they will be called racist so everyone suffers. My missus works in a bank and will probably earn more than me in a few years...I'll let her save for this before I move back

They could be a bit more flexible with the financial requirements...particularly for indigenous Brits (if we're still allowed to call the ethnic majority that of course) who are working professionals marrying other working professionals. Surely the country needs more get up and go types and less of the kind who rely on benefits?

N.

I think the part to help the indigenous brits is the £18k a year salary, the much higher savings requirements is to stop anyone coming over, unless they have enough money to add to the economy. That said it does not help someone who has been married for 20 years to a non national and wants to come home to the UK to retire and has all their money tied up in Investments.

Brits who are born British should have more leeway...........
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I think the part to help the indigenous brits is the £18k a year salary, the much higher savings requirements is to stop anyone coming over, unless they have enough money to add to the economy. That said it does not help someone who has been married for 20 years to a non national and wants to come home to the UK to retire and has all their money tied up in Investments.

Brits who are born British should have more leeway...........
Can't argue with that...I also think those with native ties within two generations should also have more leeway. The Irish allow people with an Irish born ancestor within two generations the chance to apply for citizenship.

Going back to the article the Japanese man could bring his wife to Japan and she would get residency fairly quickly. She would not be able to become a citizen though unless she was fluent in Japanese and took a Japanese name. Her children would have to choose at 18 if they want to be Japanese or not.

I believe Korea also has similar rules...Britain should adopt something similar in my opinion. Immigration should serve to protect the native majority as much as the interests of the economy. If London stopped subsidising the rest of the country we'd have re-industrialised already and would probably overtake Germany.

N.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If London stopped subsidising the rest of the country we'd have re-industrialised already and would probably overtake Germany. N.
And where do you think the meat for the grinder in the factories would come from if London apparently has all the cash? Already the housing situation is being pushed towards uprooting new generations from their family links in the countryside and shipping them to the cities to work in the factories. Or did you miss that brainstorm from IDS?