UK Election

Old May 11th 2015, 10:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Election

Originally Posted by shiva
being entitled to think something and that being right are not the same thing.
the same with opinions.

Its not so much arrogance as disdain in this case and on my part.

If someone can present a reasonable argument as to why it is morally acceptable for one of the worlds richest countries to rely on food banks to feed its population, rather than solve the issues that cause it, then I'm all ears.
Exactly this.

If, as a society, the UK believes that people not having enough food is acceptable in any way, then it is even more broken than I thought.

"No such thing as society" is what a certain person once said and far too many people are perpetuating that morally bankrupt idea.
Old May 11th 2015, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: UK Election

Originally Posted by Meow
If that statistic is right, and I suspect it is, then that's an issue that need addressing urgently. Quite how you fix such a huge and unwieldy welfare system is another issue altogether.

It's good that food banks exist as a back up for those in need but bad that there is any need for them at all. The UK is comparatively wealthy and it's shocking that anyone has to worry about feeding their family.
Stat from here; Trussell Trust

Really agree with the bold bit. I don't think they're avoidable though, people at some point will struggle so badly they need help. The area they might cut back is on food and rely on something like a food bank. Maybe maybe maybe.

Problems are further up, as you say.