UK Election

Old May 8th 2015, 7:55 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Election

The nation has spoken. Well, 36.9% voted Tory. Labours share of the vote went up and they lost seats. UKIP and Green supporters are fuming at the inherent lack of representation provided by the FPTP system. The Scottish issue is very interesting too.
Old May 9th 2015, 4:31 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
The nation has spoken. Well, 36.9% voted Tory. Labours share of the vote went up and they lost seats. UKIP and Green supporters are fuming at the inherent lack of representation provided by the FPTP system. The Scottish issue is very interesting too.
And none of the reasons this happened are new but finally people are awake and pissed off.
Pity that it was just a few years ago (2011) there was a referendum on this very issue and only 42% of the electorate bothered to vote and of that 68% votes against change.

You reap what you sow
Old May 9th 2015, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it'd make much of a difference at the end of the day.

Proportional representation means coalition governments. The Tories would have entered a coalition with UKIP and DUP and received a working majority.

Originally Posted by shiva
And none of the reasons this happened are new but finally people are awake and pissed off.
Pity that it was just a few years ago (2011) there was a referendum on this very issue and only 42% of the electorate bothered to vote and of that 68% votes against change.

You reap what you sow
Old May 9th 2015, 9:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I don't know if it'd make much of a difference at the end of the day.

Proportional representation means coalition governments. The Tories would have entered a coalition with UKIP and DUP and received a working majority.
Results would have been something like 37 snp a few grean and 87 ukip

Perhaps it's just as well this time round. The thought of 87 ukip MPs terrifies me
Old May 9th 2015, 7:53 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

You reap what you sow
That referendum was a stitch up. They granted it to the lib dems as a price for the coalition, but then campaigned hard against it, and it was the crappy AV system...and as you say, voter apathy was rampant. The Tories used the LDs and then screwed them over in this election. Now they will get the boundary changes through and make sure it's harder than ever for them to lose....and they will never countenance a change to FPTP. They will say, "well, you had your chance!" I'm depressing myself now...think I'll move to Scotland for good. They're the only beacon of hope now.

Last edited by littlejimmy; May 9th 2015 at 7:59 pm.
Old May 10th 2015, 5:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

who knows but its going to be interesting
I am struggling to see too many negatives for the SNP in all this, but that's to be expected being the third largest party.

Not sure what they can / can't do to disrupt / change much, but it's going to be interesting to see unfold and potentially one of those history defining / changing moments in time.

You reap what you sow
Amen.

The amount of pathetic whining on facebook about how shit the voting system is, but people forget this from the last election.

Fact is, the Tories got more votes than anyone else.
Old May 10th 2015, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Were you whinging when Labour took full advantage of FPTP and the constituency boundaries to rack up enormous majorities well beyond their actual share of the vote?

Methinks not....

I used to hate the phrase that all is fair in love and war and politics, but now that I'm older I can see why what goes around comes around.

That referendum was a stitch up. They granted it to the lib dems as a price for the coalition, but then campaigned hard against it, and it was the crappy AV system...and as you say, voter apathy was rampant. The Tories used the LDs and then screwed them over in this election. Now they will get the boundary changes through and make sure it's harder than ever for them to lose....and they will never countenance a change to FPTP. They will say, "well, you had your chance!" I'm depressing myself now...think I'll move to Scotland for good. They're the only beacon of hope now.
Old May 10th 2015, 9:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Relieved that UKIP did poorly but very sad about the Lib Dem result. Concerned about the outright Tory majority as I think the Lib Dems constrained them in a good way last time.

Ed Milliband was a poor choice for Labour leader but who will be next? Best known front runners are Chuka Umunna (too foreign sounding a name for many??) and Yvette Cooper. Her husband, Ed Balls won't disappear and will be back.

Lib Dems will be severely sidelined now and they really have no one of note to step up with both Vince Cable and Simon Hughes gone. Hughes is a nice guy and my previous MP Ed Davey also lost his seat back to the Tories in Kingston/Surbiton and although no hit in the House, was a very good local MP. As a natural centrist this really all makes me very sad indeed.

Markets bounced up on Friday due to certainly, not a specific result.
Old May 10th 2015, 10:17 am
Excess Baggage

Rubbish. It's time to move on from pathetic partisanship. It wasn't fair then and it isn't fair now. What makes it more pronounced now is that there are more parties involved. FPTP works fine for a 2 party system, but more people are moving away from the traditional parties and rightly want their votes to count. Whether you agree with UKIP or not (and I don't), the fact that they got 4 million votes and only 1 seat is ridiculous, especially when the SNP got 56 seats for 1.5 million votes.

Last edited by littlejimmy; May 10th 2015 at 10:31 am.
Old May 10th 2015, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish. It's time to move on from pathetic partisanship. It wasn't fair then and it isn't fair now. What makes it more pronounced now is that there are more parties involved. FPTP works fine for a 2 party system, but more people are moving away from the traditional parties and rightly want their votes to count. Whether you agree with UKIP or not (and I don't), the fact that they got 4 million votes and only 1 seat is ridiculous, especially when the SNP got 56 seats for 1.5 million votes.
Why is it rubbish?

4 million votes from the whole of the UK?? that is chicken feed.

The Tories won THANK GOD for that.

Now let them finish the job that they started.
Old May 10th 2015, 11:01 am
Excess Baggage

Whatever. You win. I give up.
Old May 10th 2015, 11:50 am
**** it we'll do it live

the problem with comparisons to the snp vote are rife and should not be made. for a start the snp won 56 seats outright and with huge swings and majorities, its not like they snuck in the back door with a minority vote in the seats they stood in. UKIP stood in far more seats overall and although 2nd in a lot of places took much lowers % of voters in those constituencies.

much better to compare like for like say total liberal votes vs ukip votes
Old May 10th 2015, 11:53 am
**** it we'll do it live

Whatever. You win. I give up.
this is what ive been saying when told the tories won because of scotland.
Old May 10th 2015, 12:55 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
Why is it rubbish?

4 million votes from the whole of the UK?? that is chicken feed.

The Tories won THANK GOD for that.

Now let them finish the job that they started.
I am not sure that your god is eligible to vote.

The job that they started? Privatisation of parts of the NHS? Creating more demand for foodbanks? More zero hours contracts that that keep people down and needing welfare support? More enforcement of the Bedroom Tax without taking personal circumstances into consideration?

A party for the selfish.
Old May 10th 2015, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cameron-mu...153532885.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.