Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The UK is a bit safer now...

The UK is a bit safer now...

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy The UK is a bit safer now...

The son of a leading Norfolk farmer and veteran TV broadcaster was starting a five-year jail term last night after mistakenly falling foul of laws designed to prevent gangland crime and gun-running.

Andrew Richardson, 48, accidentally shipped a lethal revolver and ammunition from America, where he had been living, when he returned to live in the county 12 years ago. Instead of handing it in to police he decided to keep it, placing the weapon in storage.

But yesterday a judge at Norwich Crown Court said he had no option but to jail Richardson as the weapon could have easily fallen into the wrong hands.

Last night it emerged family and friends had been unaware of the court appearance - and only learnt the full details when contacted by the EDP. His father, leading Norfolk farmer, broadcaster and commentator, David Richardson said he could not comment until he knew the full facts of the case.

Robert Warner, prosecuting, told the court the .22 revolver which was in full working order was found placed in a green shoe box along with 10 to 15 live cartridges which could be used in the gun.

Mr Warner said that a police check revealed the gun had not been used in any known crimes: “There is no evidence this weapon has been fired in relation to any matters that police are aware of.”

When questioned by the police, Richardson said he had been given the gun and had used it to shoot rattlesnakes.

The court heard that he placed the gun in secure storage with the Big Yellow Self Storage Company, in Norwich, after it was transported amongst his other belongings.

But after a dispute over rent with the company the items were sent to a Norfolk auction house and when the gun and ammunition were found, police were called in and Richardson was arrested and interviewed about the matter.

Under tight new laws to crackdown on gun crime the minimum term for possessing an illegal gun is five years, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

When questioned by police he said Richardson told police how he had spent a significant period of time from 1980 to 1997 living in the United States.

Richardson, of Damage Street Wymondham, who is of previous good character admitted possession of a gun and ammunition without a certificate.

Jailing him, Recorder Peter Guest said that the tight laws on firearms were as a result of Parliament's concern about the potential availability of firearms to criminals.

He added: “The law is concerned here with firearms which are lethal weapons. You acquired this weapon legally in the Unites States and I am told it was brought to this country not at you behest, but accidently.

“You realised that this firearm should have been given to the authorities for destruction but you did not do that. It is impossible to fathom why you thought it appropriate to keep this lethal weapon and ammunition in storage.”

He said if a criminal gang had broken into the secure storage depot they might have got their hands on the gun.

“If it had been someone with a criminal mind then it could have taken a different course and that gun and ammunition could have fallen into the wrong hands and be used potentially for lethal purposes,” Mr Guest added.

Jude Durr, for Richardson, argued there were mitigating circumstances. He said that Mr Richardson was highly experienced businessman and had been working in Texas before his return to the UK where he was legally given the gun by his employer.

Mr Durr said the Richardson had planned to deal with it later but in the meantime had placed it with other items into secure storage and forgot about it as it had such a “non-existent role” in his life.

After the hearing his legal team said they were considering appealing against the sentence.
[Warning: Strong language follows]
FFS what where they thinking? What a load of tw:curse:ts, honestly. I've heard people get less time on rape, theft and selling drugs. If there was ever proof that any country needs a good purge of civil servants this must be it, march them in front of a wall and be done with it all. Honestly things like this make me glad I'm not going back to that f:curse:cked up shithole anytime soon . The only people going to prison are barely guilty of anything while the public lives in fear of unprovoked assaults.

I've always felt warmly towards Britain no matter what her sins. Yes, I've been patriotic but at the moment it's a total shambles run by a government who couldn't organise a pissup at a brewery . Our dear homeland is being rotted from the inside by a cancer, it's f:curse:cking big political experiment that has gone wrong.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:02 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK is a bit safer now...

Well, totally aside from whether or not it was actually a banned weapon, he should have obtained a license and stored it in a safe at his home (that is inspected regularly by the police) just like any other law-abiding gun-owner in the UK. He was a complete moron to think otherwise.

Big fat No Sympathy vote from me.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Well, totally aside from whether or not it was actually a banned weapon, he should have obtained a license and stored it in a safe at his home (that is inspected regularly by the police) just like any other law-abiding gun-owner in the UK. He was a complete moron to think otherwise.

I agree. The gun could have been found by an intruder or by a young child. The owner is a dozy pillock who deserves to go to jail in my view.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:17 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I think the sentence is a tad harsh but I know from personal experience that they don’t mess about with this kind of thing: When I lived in Uganda I climbed one of the extinct volcanoes on the Uganda/Rwanda border. At the top there was all kinds of litter lying around, such as old tin cans, and in among them were lots of live ammunition rounds of varying calibre. This was in the late 90s and my guide told me that the Ugandan army had occasionally had soldiers up there when it had all kicked off in Rwanda a couple of years earlier. I pocketed a few of the best condition bullets just for the hell of it and kept them on my desk at work. Fast forward a year or so, when I left Uganda I just threw everything into a trunk (including the bullets, without thinking), sent it to my parents’ house via DHL and I went traveling for a couple of months. When I got back to my parents’, my trunk had made it back but was entombed in tape indicating it had been opened by customs at East Midlands Airport. It was accompanied by a sternly worded letter about how on opening my trunk they had discovered and confiscated “6 (six) rounds of live ammunition, of which the importing to the UK is an offence under section whatever of the blah blah act” etc. There was also an urgent instruction to contact them on my return, and when I did, the officer I spoke to was very pleasant about it, accepted my explanation that I had simply chucked them in there without thinking, and said no further action would be taken. Despite him telling me that they now considered the case closed, I do sometimes wonder if I’m on a list somewhere along with a load of serious arms smugglers and gun runners.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:54 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty

The fact that the UK bans or makes nearly impossible the ownership of firearms by law abiding citizens tells me the UK wants criminals to be the only armed people...

Given one can make explosives and shoddy firearms with household chemicals and access to a basic workshop it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to jail someone who obviously had no ill intent when there are thousands of illigal weapons in the hands of drug dealers, murderers and rapists to worry about.

N.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
The fact that the UK bans or makes nearly impossible the ownership of firearms by law abiding citizens tells me the UK wants criminals to be the only armed people...

Given one can make explosives and shoddy firearms with household chemicals and access to a basic workshop it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to jail someone who obviously had no ill intent when there are thousands of illigal weapons in the hands of drug dealers, murderers and rapists to worry about.

N.

It´s like the old advise about not taking the law in your own hands...But if it´s not in our own hands, whose hands..?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:24 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
yeah... hence the irony of banning firearms. Gun Laws were so stringent that you had to declare everything that you had, in person, at the police station, you also had to have a license covering all the weapons and then open your house up to a police inspection to make sure that they were kept in a secure location - namely a safe.

Lets face it, no criminal was ever going to do any of that, so, well, banning automatics and semis, then hand-guns after those horrfic massacres was nothing more than to appease the media and Joe "I ain't got a clue, but it' shouldn't be allowed" Blogs down the road.